Stutters ruining the game!

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Lazzerus, May 18, 2013.

1. BWX

BWX Member

I thought you were just describing performance, I didn't hear anything about stutters or not.

So you got a new monitor and the stutters are gone? That makes absolutely no sense. I'm not saying it isn't true, just saying it makes no sense.

2. Defected

Defected Well-Known Member

Higher resolution helps on my system . Now seeing smoother visuals in most games . Don't know if you are tolling or just being an ass right now . plus my post is for the developers so they know my past issues have been some what resolved . If you can't make sense of my outcome then so be it .

#62 Defected, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
  3. BWX

BWX Member

Who's being an ass here?

4. Forkinator

Forkinator Active Member

It's a little hard to believe that a monitor relieved your stuttering. Honestly I think the stuttering you had might have been something other than what we in this thread are complaining about. In some parts of the game the stuttering is very bad and i have tested this on multiple hardware configurations. And BWX was not being an ass.

5. rowan_u

rowan_u Member

There are some folks out there whose eyes can't see a difference between 30fps and 60fps; I'm not surprised at all that a 100ms stutter is undetectable to them. Personally, I'm jealous, as they will be able to enjoy games at thresholds unplayable to us "fast eyed" folks.

6. rowan_u

rowan_u Member

For anyone having trouble noticing this issue I made a video demonstrating it, shot at lowest possible settings and captured with fraps at 120fps, then re-rendered at 24 fps to result in slow motion. This makes the Stuttering absolutely clear to anyone :)

copyme://youtu.be/QNeL3KDoem4

7. BWX

BWX Member

I don't know how anyone in the world that actually had eyeballs and glasses or contacts or laser vision correction couldn't see these stutters when they happen. Even the small stutters are very noticeable to me.

8. " No Rokko...you can't."

I'm with BWX above...I went with my monitors native resolution of 1440 X 900 and got much smoother gameplay.

9. tamalero

tamalero Well-Known Member

imho, in my case.. stuttering seems to be all physics related.
    because there isnt much detail change in one scenes, yet the slowdown is noticeable..
    example.. during the bandits last part (to rescue the woman)
    once you see the first pair of guards talking, look to the small left corridor.. and suddenly, I get huge slowdown in fps out of nowhere.. there isn't anything that could cause that!

10. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

I must say I did not experience stuttering lately, been playing Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Bioshock: Infinite and both Metro titles. I was checking some videos posted by users on Youtube where I had hard time spotting it. The video by Rowan_u, however, showed it quite clearly. One thing I would appreciate to see same footage in the original framerate to check if I can spot those stutters there.

11. Defected

Defected Well-Known Member

I game on 120hz monitor and now 1400p monitor trust me I can see it clear as day .

I know for a fact 60 frames on 60hz monitor is smoother then 60 frames on 120hz monitor and I'm not alone on this . Some games just look better on 1400p and some 120hz . Payday looks awful at 60 frames but looks perfect at 120 . lastly I see slow downs in some areas of the game 22fps then back up to 60 .

As for stuttering I can't see it the majority of the time on my 1400p monitor . Making an argument about this is down right idiotic . Some users like myself see an improvement when using higher resolutions .

#71 Defected, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  12. ildamos

ildamos Member

Not meaning to burst anyone's bubble--just trying to help--but maybe some of you have pushed the settings a bit too far?

From: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-metro-last-light

13. BWX

BWX Member

(wouldn't let me post unless I deleted URL in quote)

Yeah that is at 2560x1440 though. I play at 1080p 60hz, with everything maxed out and no SSAA (but there is still the adaptive AA in the engine, so there is a lot of antialiasing still), and it plays great with just one OCed GTX670 (1215/6030).
    When I get my other GTX670 tomorrow, and SLI them, I am sure it will be even better.

I made a video a few posts back of mine- watch?v=nzSe-PM_4fg of the final battle, you can see it is running fine, even on my FX8150 OC's to 4.1ghz when running 8 cores, 4.2 when on 4 cores, with 16GB 1866 DDR3. So that isn't nearly as fast as that system in the vid you posted, but fast enough for 1080p, all maxed out, PHYSX on, in most situations.

Of course this isn't really all about ultimate performance, it is about stutters, which is totally different.

EDIT- I see some nasty breakup and stutters in that above vid at around 40 seconds that I don't see on my rig.. So I wonder what the deal is with that. Also, the frames seem to collapse to about 5 or 10 fps and it shows 60fps on the scale. Something is screwy there.
    Also at about 1:00 there's a very nasty looking stutter/ slowdown, or whatever, and the FPS counter shows a solid 60fps still.

#73 BWX, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  14. Lazzerus

Lazzerus Active Member

I have 2 Gtx 680 Classifieds and I stay above 60 fps in the same spot as that vid with the same settings at 1440p. Only time it drops slightly is from the dam stutters. Usually 70+ fps. So not sure if that was just bad scaling on the titans.....

15. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

A lot of people are getting the stuttering regardless of whether settings are high or low. I have two Titans, and even when I turn the settings way down, I still get stuttering.

And not the hard-to-detect microstuttering that some people seem to be talking about here, but real stuttering, where the screen freezes for almost a second at a time. It's definitely not a case of me trying to push my PC too far, but a case of a glitch in the 4A engine and/or video drivers.

My hunch is that it's something to do with physics or the way the engine streams in textures.

16. White

White New Member

Still stuttering every 1 second, have tried pretty much everything suggested on here, and on other forums. Game is just not optimized for the PC is the bottom line.

Sure, the devs might be 'aware' of the problem, but that doesn't mean they're going to try and fix it. Especially since there's been zero communication from them since the release.

Also reading where this was an issue on Metro 2033 as well.

Oh well, screw PC users right? I mean, who plays FPS on PC anyway? >_>

17. BWX

BWX Member

Just got my second GTX 670 and I am running all maxed out @ 1080p, but now I am running 2x SSAA where before I wasn't (with only one GTX 670)..

I can say there seems to be more stutters with SLI than with one card, and also I think experimenting with a not legal copy might get you guys some interesting results.. like, a lot smoother game with less stutters. I'll leave it at that.

Also I just now, about 10 minutes ago, got a small update of 15.1 MB via STEAM. Not sure what it is, if it's a real version update or just some random STEAM type files.

18. stiler

stiler New Member

Registered after finding this thread, I have had this stuttering issue since the game was released and it made it unplayable for me.

I tried every thing under the sun that people suggested and nothing worked until this.

I think people have found out the reason behind the stuttering, for Intel I7 processors at least.

I can't take credit for it, I found it from the official steam forum thread "Please fix the stutter" from user Morbid Gamer who mentioned it fixed it for him.

Then a few more people also talking about it working.

Someone posted this link (which is what I followed to disable it)

edit - Can't post a link (since I just registered) but if you google "disable cpu parking" it should be the first link that is shown.

Using that program doesn't require a restart of your pc nor fiddling with registery keys like some other core parking disable guides.

My stuttering seems to have been fixed now with this, glad to finally be able to play this game.

May not work for everyone but it did for me, on a 2600k/gtx 580.

19. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

and a steam patch has come to fix it.

20. BWX

BWX Member

Yeah I was researching about how to fix stutters that were just introduced when I played on my SLI setup for the first time, and while I was doing that, a 15MB update was released that apparently fixes the stutter!

LOL..

I guess I will quit searching around the net and go play!