Stutters ruining the game!

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Lazzerus, May 18, 2013.

1. pjr98

pjr98 New Member

I also had this constant stuttering when I had the game - I returned the game to the store yesterday because of it and got a full refund. I did this because of the possibility that the game will not be fixed. I would advise other people to return the game also until such time as it IS fixed.

This is not a small issue. This is BY FAR THE NO.1 ISSUE facing this game. It is so irritating, it makes the game unplayable. It should not have been released like this. I did not even leave the opening corridor in the game because of it! I liked the game and wanted to play it; if I hear that it has been fixed, I might buy it again :)

Nothing we can do can possibly fix it, there is a fundamental flaw in the gamecode. In my opinion it has something to do with physics timing being out of sync with rendering timing. Good luck to 4A and its customers, but really there should not BE any customers while this fault exists.

i7 950 @4.0Ghz
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Velociraptor 600GB
    6GB RAM
    GA-EX58-EXTREME
    Corsair TX750w

#41 pjr98, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  2. Mattee

Mattee New Member

I also have the same exact issue. Game runs fine but every few seconds it will stutter and it's beginning to take it's tole on me. I'm trying very hard to enjoy the game but this stutter is taking me right out of the experience. The thing is, Metro 2033 had the same exact issue (at least within the last year) for me. Massive stuttering every 3 or 4 seconds making even aiming your weapon a task and a half.

I was worried that Last Light would suffer from this same issue, even posted a tweet to Deep Silver. They assured me that if my PC was able to handle it, the game would run smoothly. Well.... even on the lowest settings, low quality, ssaa off, af x4, low motion blur, tessellation off, vsync off, 800x600 resolution, the game still stutters. I've tried highest and lowest and everything in between with the exception of resolution (tried 800x600, 1440x900, 1280x720 and 1920x1080) and no difference. Even tried advanced physx on and off, nothing.

i7 2600k 3.4ghz
    8GB ram
    evga gtx 680 superclocked
    windows 7 64bit

First Dead Island Riptide grants me a massive sound glitch with my G35 headset and now Metro Last Light grants me stuttering. Running on thin ice here Deep Silver, thin ice.

3. Lazzerus

Lazzerus Active Member

Only reason im not taking it back is because i only payed $10 for it. I had a jb hifi voucher :)
    Surely they would have to fix a problem this wide spread. Il be seriously pissed if it isnt....

#43 Lazzerus, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  4. Zingel1986

Zingel1986 Member

I figured out how to get good FPS on my PC.

As I mentioned before I got better frame rates by deactivating the Logitech Software. This worked for me just one time.

Now I deinstalled the software and wow... I doubled Frame Rate to 70 FPS average.

5. Zingel1986

Zingel1986 Member

---Double Post---

6. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

For many of us, FPS is not the issue. Stuttering is. I myself get 60fps, but with frequent regular stuttering where the game freezes for 1 second or so. It makes it virtually unplayable. The logitech software doesn't affect the stuttering. It's a problem with the game and/or the graphics card drivers.

7. Zingel1986

Zingel1986 Member

OK, but now I have no problems anymore with frame drops.

I only wanted to give some infomation. Maybe this could help somebody.

8. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

Does the new nvidia driver resolve this issue for anyone?

9. Milenya

Milenya New Member

No. Its the same driver like 320.14 beta just with Microsoft's WHQL certification and added support for the new GTX780. Nothing for Metro and i'm also getting the stuttering all the time as well as random driver crashes. Gonna give them another week and probably contact Steam for a refund if no fix is coming. Its just sad such a great game is being ruined by an engine flaw or whatever it is.

10. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

Is it only SLI users that get the stuttering, or single-GPU users too? I was under the impression that it might be a SLI profile issue.

11. pjr98

pjr98 New Member

:twitch: That's what, a joke of some kind?

12. volaniskra

volaniskra Member

I don't know why that seemed like a joke to you. On the nvidia forums there's a lot of speculation at the moment that the stuttering is caused by a faulty SLI profile. But I've just looked through some posts here and it seems single-GPU users are getting the problem too.

13. Defected

Defected Well-Known Member

14. Lazzerus

Lazzerus Active Member

Just updated to Nvidias latest drivers 320.18 and fps are slightly better but the stutters are still there!!.
    This must be 4A and its starting to get old.......

#54 Lazzerus, May 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
  15. BWX

BWX Member

Well at first I noticed more stutters.. then after fooling around with settings I got it to be a little better, but not perfect. I know a lot of people complained about stutters in Far cry 3, and I had almost no stutters in that game, so I do not think it is "my system".. I think it's a problem with the game.

I'm running rig in sig (2nd GTX670 in mail, only running one now)

Running 1080p on a 60hz 52" Aquos TV. Running all in game settings maxed out with Physx on, SSAA off.

I ended up running no Vsync at all for while, then tried Adaptive, then tried just vsync checked in game and app controlled in driver cp.

I did make a vid of the final battle where you can see how much stuttering there is, and how much there isn't. It's there sometimes, but not always.

edit- put this in google- stupid forum won't allow me to put in url..
    watch?v=nzSe-PM_4fg

NV CP settings..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll see if SLI hurts it or helps it in a few days.

16. rowan_u

rowan_u Member

I just tried running the game at 30fps locked (using adaptive v-sync) to see if it felt any smoother . . . . . and the stuttering is still VERY obvious. I guess this makes sense as guru 3d is showing spikes of 100ms. Since each frame is displayed for 32ms or so at 30fps, this mneans a spike of 100ms drops 3 frames at 30fps. I can't believe ANYONE at 4A Games thought this was going to be playable ?!?

copyme://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/metro_last_light_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,7.html

17. rowan_u

rowan_u Member

If you look at the guru 3d post, you can see that the stuttering is present in ATI cards also, suggesting this is a Metro issue.

18. Defected

Okay so I got my new 1400p monitor and must say the game is running perfect only for some areas metro will drop drastically to lows of 20s 'dead city' seems to be the worst offender inside the first building on your right , upstairs where the curtain is hanging down . If you go through the curtain my frames will drop and stay low .

GTX680 sli
    i7 3770

Settings:
    Very high
    X2
    X16
    Normal
    Very high
    Resolution 2560x1400

Frame rates 90% off the time solid 60fps

#58 Defected, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  19. BWX

BWX Member

What does that have to do with this thread?

20. Defected

Stutters ruining the game! thread

So after my problems I upgrade to higher resolution monitor and now the stuttering is gone . Don't really understand why you would even ask that .