Stealth is easy!

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by VanillaToshi, Sep 5, 2012.

1. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I don't understand how people thought Metros stealth sections were hard.
    The game told you what to do, it couldn't get much simpler! + You don't even need the stealth suit to successfully sneak. Stealth suit = useless IMO.

Example of game telling you what to do:
    Prisoner being executed on the Frontlines mission speaks of a way behind the Nazis lines.
    Ulman tells you shutting down a generator will help you sneak past guards, you find a group of guards who then go to guard it, you have found the generator...

Yes I have used those examples in other threads.
    Other missions where you can sneak through successfully, Dry station. Pretty sure you can sneak through the 1st mission with Bourbon as well.
    No doubt there's more although none are coming to mind atm. The point is unless you're a simpleton and lack any common sense, stealth was easy in Metro 2033.

2. Nod2033

Nod2033 Well-Known Member
    Regular

lol what, it couldnt be more buggy, annoying and hard for me. Once I was killing somebody he had to scream like a girl and alert everyone, or my knife wasn't even getting at his neck or chest, it had to go on his shoulder and get him in the armor..once that was happening, he magically could see me even if I was example on the other side of the wall. Don't also forget that you couldn't kill 2 or more target's at once, you would be spotted right away. This forced me to reveal myself in the first sneak mission with bourbon, I succesfully killed everyone on the way but there was still 3-4 people sitting with the fireplace thingy.

but I kinda agree, if they would work a bit more and fix the bugs and all, stealth would be easy.
    And stealth suit wasn't very very necessary but it helped,example: I could be spotted by just walking (even while crouching), with the stealth suit that would never happen.

About generator's, this was buggy aswell, sometimes they could spot you right away once you were shutting them.

3. VanillaToshi

Lol you must be killing people too slow if you can't take out 2 guys next to each other without raising the alarm because I can do it... Don't try stabbing people with knives because they never work in a stealth approach. Throwing knives works though aslong as you hit flesh.

Also I've never had any bugs regarding stealth like people seeing me through walls... Also don't think they scream unless they detect you and even if they do it doesn't alarm enemies. Knowing when to attack and when not to is the key to stealth kills. (Don't know about the whole screaming thing, point is i've never had any problems regarding stealth on this game.)

Also I forgot to add that if you turn off a generator with people next to it of course they'll realise. You just need common sense...

+ Stealth suit is a waste of 100MGR. I find it doesn't help in the slightest, especially if you get detected.

#3 VanillaToshi, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  4. Nod2033

Nod2033 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I was talking about killing 2 target's without being noticed, because you really have no option other than being detected sometimes (also if you want to take their bullets etc), they dont always go away from each other.
    +I don't stab people with knife that's just ghey.

"Also I've never had any bugs regarding stealth like people seeing me through walls... Also don't think they scream unless they detect you and even if they do it doesn't alarm enemies. Knowing when to attack and when not to is the key to stealth kills. (Don't know about the whole screaming thing, point is i've never had any problems regarding stealth on this game "
    cba sitting and explaining really. Sorry But it seems to me that you really haven't tried stealth or you did, failed for once and left it...
    Knowing when to attack and when not to is the key to stealth kills
    This is right tho... But I can't believe that you never faced any bug... the game was full of bugs for me.
    Also I forgot to add that if you turn off a generator with people next to it of course they'll realise. You just need common sense...
    I know mate, i'm not stupid or anything, but just like I said before, I guess it is the bug's...
    well anyways i'll stop here with this thread, really bored to discuss about anything atm xD

5. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

The stealth aspect in Metro 2033 was indisputably difficult. There was no clear line of how and when you would be spotted, unlike Splinter Cell for instance. The level of sound you could make was also unclear.

Of course, in reality moving stealthily is like that! You don't know how good the guard's hearing is, how nervous they are, how alert, how careful... So in a way it was realistic. But yeah, games shouldn't offer realism to the detriment of gameplay mechanics. Stalker had a great stealth system, and it was pretty realistic.

6. VanillaToshi

"cba sitting and explaining really. Sorry But it seems to me that you really haven't tried stealth or you did, failed for once and left it..." I wouldn't have made this thread if I hadn't played using stealth plenty enough and the only problem I can think of is you don't know how good the enemies line of sight is. Especially those with NVG.

"I was talking about killing 2 target's without being noticed, because you really have no option other than being detected sometimes" I just said it's about knowing when to kill them and how quickly you do it before the guy whose friend you killed manages to raise the alarm, I can do it easily enough so I don't see why you can't.

7. Zenarkii

Zenarkii New Member

So I'm on my first run of Metro 2033 on Ranger mode, I've never had to use stealth before, but now I find myself in a position where I need to. I look to the internet for help, and find this thread, expecting some help with it.

Instead I get somebody waving their big internet dick around saying "I find something that clearly everyone else has a hard time with easy, therefore I am better than everyone."

Gee, I sure am glad I found this thread, super helpful.

8. Clear Sky Stalker

Clear Sky Stalker Spartan Ranger
    Regular

What part are you on.

9. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sure,sure.But where exactly is the damned generator? These are just tips to make it easier for you,not just "do that and you'll succeed." Yes,you can sneak through most missions, but it's harder compared to LL. Also unlike LL there is no definitive "visible/unseen" state. You can be seen even in pitch black place if a guy on the ledge above points it's flashlight towards you.
    Also, i like how in 2033 knives bounce off of enemies armor,while in LL knives penetrate almost any armor.

#9 Keegan83, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
  10. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

I would suggest to watch Komodo's stealth walkthrough (it's sticky in this section, can't miss it), he's the metro master.

11. VanillaToshi

[​IMG]

Aha just joking ^ anyway when I wrote it I was seriously confused about what was so hard about it. Until I heard some of the problems people were having, such as dodgy AI, etc. Someone suggested watching Komodos stealth playthrough and he knows everything worth knowing about Metro so i'd take that advice if that is what you need.
    It's mostly common sense though, if you shoot a light out and a guard walks in to the room he's simply just going to turn his light on so if you do something foolish like stand out in the open then you're gonna get spotted.

#11 VanillaToshi, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  12. Wvlfy

Wvlfy Member

Stealth is ridiculously easy in this game if you just go with the simple formula of flipping light switches, staying in shadows, and punching people in the face (or stabbing them, but I'm playing Good Guy Artyom).

I tried to go through the game like Sam Fisher by shooting out the lights, but a silenced revolver was still too loud. The bullet didn't land near anyone, but the entire place went on high alert after my first shot. @.@

EDIT: And I just realized that I posted on the Metro 2033 instead of Metro: Last Light forum. Derp.

For the sake of useful input, 2033 did give a lot of helpful input for stealth, something I wish I'd known about on my first playthrough that left a lot of corpses.

#12 Wvlfy, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  13. Gyrate

Gyrate Active Member

You cannot completely silence a weapon in real life. Silencers mainly used to reduce the sound and eliminate muzzle flash, but the firing still can be heard just like the projectile when it's lands and cut trough the air. Compare this to the already silent Metro environment and senses, it isn't that effective at close encounters. Sense organ's performance is something that can improve if the adrenaline floods your body. If someone told me to hold a weapon and walk up-down / patrol in a dark corner for hours, I'd find myself nervous pretty fast. The instinct comes forward if I suspect "Somebody is watching me." no matter how disciplined am I (just think about the Red Line, they nearly doesn't have any kind of training, especially mental training). It's buggy and it's annoying but that is true. Simply call it a challenge. If you got enough of the game then quit. Believe me, you can progress more in 2x20 minutes then 40 at once.

EDIT: Artyom is really young, and I believe he is unexperienced at long term stealth. Stole some MGR from an open box or open up the cookie jar while Uncle Alex don't watch is not comparable with wiping out entire fully armed squads.

#13 Gyrate, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  14. Clear Sky Stalker

Regular

Artyom isn't really "young" in last light. I mean he's received over a year of training from the Rangers, which has improved all his skills, even the stealthy ones.

15. Gyrate

Gyrate Active Member

Then we know, why stealthy play style is easier in Last Light. :rolleyes:
    Otherwise, I just tried to found some kind of logical interpretation for the broken stealth mode.

16. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

^That and because no one in the metro knows that you're suppose to put boxes and crates up against the wall so that ninja Artyom doesn’t sneak up from behind and kills you using the secret box/crate passage way.

17. Clear Sky Stalker

Regular

That was the in game logic as to why Artyom got better, the real reason was to appeal to a larger audience.

18. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

The main thing is that it was hard to tell sometimes when everyone was alerted. You could bump into something and hear a guy say, "What's happening?" Half the time, nothing would happen, the other half you would walk around a corner and be gunned down.

Detection also seemed odd, as an enemy that saw somebody die in front of them instantly knew where you were and started shooting. Not only that, but everybody else in the area also telepathically seemed to know where you were the second someone was alerted.

Last Light obviously is pretty silly at some points and it vastly oversimplified the whole thing, but at least it functions as it's intended. In a perfect world, we'd have something in the middle, with a stealth system that makes sense and is relatively easy to understand when and how you messed up, while pitting you against intelligent yet exploitable enemies.

19. SpartanKobe

SpartanKobe Member
    Regular

lol Are you guys serious? Even on Ranger Hardcore it wasn't that difficult. The whole game imo is incredibly easy.
    You get Volt Driver or Heavy auto shotty very early and can breeze right through everything. In fact, when Andrew the Blacksmith saves you you can trade your volt driver and your auto shotty for a duplet. There you, over 250 mgr to spend, and still have one volt driver to use that you pick up in the first bandit area.

You can get stealth suit, and knife everyone with ridiculous ease. Helsing also works great.

I have no clue why anyone could think 2033 is difficult. Heavy auto shotty works for pretty much all mutant encounters and you can just buy a crap ton of ammo at armory.

20. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac Active Member

You failed to point out the single most useful stealth feature OP, the throwing knife is over powered.