Spammers ARE HERE

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Concerns' started by TheJollyRedRanger, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

Actually, I think that that one spambot who posted after I said that they're on vacation, had already registered, but was just not banned, and had not been active until now. I have a feeling that Luster has done something. I mean, there should've been a lot of spambots this morning, but there were almost none! Just one or two :D

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

My nightmares have come true...

I'm not going to jump to conclusions here, but the spambots seems to have decreased a lot lately, and I assume that it's because Luster has done something. I suspect that the "Something" is that he has made it so that members have to make some posts before making threads. This could only go one way or another: Either they stop completely, or they begin posting posts and then threads. The second alternative is what I assume to have happened.

I say this because I saw some spam-posts today, and those very spambots who have posted posts, have also made threads after that. They are now more "intelligent", as they post something related to the subject in the thread, or simply copy an earlier comment and re-post it as their own. This makes them more difficult to sort out from actual people. But, well, at least there's less of them, for the time being :)

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I noticed the latter, it is very worrying. I'm afraid Luster's solution is not the right one - seeing as how the bots can turn this around to make it even worse for us. :(

4. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Why does luster not just implement a random number gen baffles me. Is it really hard to do?

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

It could be something quite harder to implement in the website, who knows - we don't code websites. ;)

6. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

Can we please get a few people to become mods? I don't wanna buy any of their products!

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

I think that me and Von is, for now, enough to handle the decreased ammount of spambots.

Giving too many people admin previligies is something that a community owner often does, which is a mistake. It's what makes communities get fu*ked over, really. Not that I think any of us would do anything wrong, but if many are admin, then more and more people will feel like they deserve just as much to be admin too. "Many wants more". The only solution to that would be to give them all admin, which would inevitably lead to someone doing something wrong, and that tips the first domino-chip. If any of you were made admin, and I was demoted, that could be just as good as me being admin, if not even better. No matter how good the devoted admins are, it will always fail in the end if there's too many of them.

Believe me when I say this, because I am definitely one to know this after jumping from community to community a countless ammount of times in Garry's Mod :)

8. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thanks to all Mods and to Luster for their efforts in fighting this wave of "Nosalis"!

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

Haha, I just helped my classmate register here, and to my surprise, Luster has made a puzzle that you have to solve when registering. You should check it out! :D

10. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ah i just checked that out...great idea,Luster!

11. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd like to say thanks to Luster and Skaara Dreadlocks for destroying the spambot invasion! Great work guys!

12. Skaara Dreadlocks

Thanks, Von! :D I just kept them away for as long and for as much as I could - Luster was the one to finally stop the horde ;)

Nevertheless, celebration time!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#92 Skaara Dreadlocks, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Well done indeed; thanks for defeating the hordes of spambots! :)

14. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

THank oyu all for the destruction of the evil spam

15. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

There back! Nuke them

16. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

yeah, throw them to the nosies!

17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Even better: throw them in a pit and make them feast on each other as they hunger for traffic.

18. Skaara Dreadlocks

I'm pretty curious about one of them, though, who always makes a new user with almost the same name over and over as I keep banning him/it. I'm positive that it's the same bot, because it always has the same IP and very identical names. So far, it has made seven accounts named
    ysamhe
    ysamhhe
    ysammhhe
    yssamhe
    ysssamhe
    ysssamhhe
    yssssamhhe
    ..... Strange :p

19. Heavygunner

Heavygunner Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ban all Users with an y in their names:banplease:(Why this Forum has a Ban me please Smiley?!)

20. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

It is so that if someone posts a response breaking the forum rules on purpose, the admin can delete his comment and replace it with that smiley for the lolz, and to show that you might as well just ask to get banned ;)