Sony Online Entertainment - 1 sub fee for all games

Discussion in 'MMORPG Forums - Site News' started by CrownedClown, Jan 9, 2014.

1. CrownedClown

CrownedClown Well-Known Member

So apperantly SOE has decided to set up a fixed fee that will give you access to all their games:
    Here is what the president of SOE John Smedley said:

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1ulcav/moving_forward_with_subscription_plan_changes/

I think this is really good idea and some other major companies should follow their example.

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Sounds cool it will be interesting to see how successful if it is a hit I expect other companies to follow.

3. Trevo

Trevo Member

This is good news, Cannot wait to find out how well it works.

4. CrownedClown

If this works out I hope other companies like NCSoft for example will follow. I'd really love if FF XIV A Realm Reborn and Wildstar are with a single subscription fee. I probably won't start playing FF since it didn't really cought my eye, but I still like to know that I have that option if I do get bored :p

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I see this as the way of the future. Kind of like netflix but for games.

6. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I always considered GameFly to be similar to Netflix, but I never used neither so I may not be 100% correct.

7. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Oh my god. That's pretty freaking awesome. If they did that for FFXIV and FFXI I might give XIV a try but I just don't feel like paying for that game in it's current state.

8. CrownedClown

Yeah trully if they did this I'll subscribe when EQ comes out even if I don't play it simply because I can play other sub games as well. It's a brilliant idea and I do hope that this becomes a norm.

9. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

This is actually old news (to me). I remember reading about them planning this nearly two years ago. It's a good idea because it gives people a chance to refill to servers for some of their less popular games like Vanguard. And at the same time continue to help games with big install bases continue to grow such as DCUO and Planetside 2.

10. CrownedClown

Well yeah there was talk about this years ago, but noone could take that step back then because it wasn't profitable, however now with all the free good games that come out literally every day companies won't have a choice, but to take this step. As I said I really hope that NCSoft adopts this since I'll be playing Wildstar anyway I wouldn't mind having access to FF XIV as well :p

11. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea but how many MMOs do Sony currently own exactly. The amount of games have to justify the price for it to be a bargain. In the end, it all comes down to how many SOE MMOs I play to justify the price if I'm not an All Access subscriber.

12. CrownedClown

I agree. I myself don't play a single game by them, so this isn't really much of a news for me, but if NCSoft does the same than I'd really happy.
    Btw their most famous titles are DC Universe Online, PlanetSide 2, EverQuest Next and EverQuest Landmark and Dragon's Prophet.
    Overall they are all solid names, so I can definitely see it worth well over $15 a month if you ask me :p

I've signed up for EQ alpha/betas, but I doubt I'll have the luck to test them before they are officially released :(

13. 4justice

SOE definitely has enough MMO games out there to make a sub fee more than worth it. If this does work out, I can see NC Soft doing it as well since they have a bunch of MMO games running as well.

@CrownedClown- you'll be out of luck on that Final Fantasy XIV inclusion considering Square Enix only has that and Final Fantasy XI running as MMO games right now.

14. CrownedClown

Dear lord you are right I have no idea why I have been under the impression that NCSoft have FF XIV lol. Well that's too bad, but still they have enough games. If for example they make games like Guild Wars not having to buy it because of the sub fee that will also be good :p

15. 4justice

If NC Soft did to a 1 sub for all thing like Sony is about to I think Guild Wars would have just been a bonus. I could have sworn that Guild Wars was f2p. I haven't played it in a long time but maybe my memory is hazy.

16. CrownedClown

There is no subscription, but you do have to buy the game. What I mean is that for example if you are paying monthly fee sub you get the game for free without having to buy it. And not just Guild Wars, but all their games ;)
    Now that would be quite a bargain :p