[Solved] Strange texture and character models glitch

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion & Support' started by yjwu1104, Apr 30, 2014.

1. yjwu1104

yjwu1104 Member

Hey, everyone, I'm new here. And I have a texture problem while playing this game.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=254714313

I have been searching the information about this for so long, I found many people have this problem too. Especially those who has an Intel HD graphic 3000 card.
    Mine is this one too. I know it's not a good card to run a game, but I can run most of the games, like FarCry 3, Assassin's Creed series, Deus Ex... Even Thief 4.
    So I don't know why this is happening right now. I can run Metro 2033 without any problems, it ran totally fine.
    I have tried the ways people showed on the Internet, like changing something in the "user" text. But it didn't work.
    I disabled advanced physx too.
    I can run this game smoothly actually, I can even run it on a Normal setting!
    I just keep seeing those terrifying ugly faces...
    Pls Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Or what caused this? Is it bc of my graphic card?
    I've seen lots of people who have this card fixed this problems already.

I hope somebody can answer me... Thank you very much

#1 yjwu1104, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Hmm. I have an HD 4000, and I can only hit around the 30 FPS average mark with everything on Low Settings, 800x600. My best guess is that your Integrated GPU just isn't supported.

I had a similar issue with Payday 2 early on; the game didn't support my GPU, and so the game wouldn't even launch on my laptop until I put a special mod file from New Vegas into my game files.

Even if you did manage to get the game running normally, I'm afraid it would run very poorly, unless you're comfortable with sub-30 FPS (I personally start getting headaches at that point).

3. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

We have a thread here dedicated to this stuff so look through it and see if you find your problem and a solution. I'm not a tech-e so I can't personally help you. Although if your patient enough to wait till tomorrow I'm sure one of the computer savvy members will pop in.

http://lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=4840

4. Hey, I know this problem and here is a solution:

Go to ...\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro LL\...

Find user.cfg file there, open it and search for "r_api" parameter. Set it to 0 to force the game to work with DirectX 9. It will cut off a few effects, but it should fix the melting people horror show.

5. yjwu1104

yjwu1104 Member

Thank you all for replying my question...
    Yes, I have tried to change "r_api" from 2 to 0, and it still the same.
    Did I miss something? Some people have the same problem, they changed "r_api", and the problem is still there.
    Do I need to change tessellation too?
    I think my problem must have a way to solve, I just don't know how.
    Thank you again

6. Tesselation is not supposed work on DX9 or DX10, it's a DX11 exclusive. Turning it off is worth a try.

7. yjwu1104

yjwu1104 Member

Thank you very much. I have one more question...
    How do I force it to run in DX9 except changing "r_api" in the notepad file?
    Bc I changed it already, and the problem is still there.
    I think maybe my game is not actually running in DX 9.
    Thank you

8. It was not supposed to officially run in DX9, only DX10 and DX11. As far as I know tell this is the only way to turn it on. You could also try replacing the user.cfg backup in the game folder with the .cfg file you edited.

Another step you could take is updating your videocard drivers or downgrading to one of the earlier versions. You could also try the beta versions of the drivers if any are present.

9. yjwu1104

yjwu1104 Member

Thank you! I will try it again tonight.
    My drivers are the latest, I just installed it yesterday.
    And I got the newest Dirext version I think.
    I'm going to check it again.

And you said replace the cfg. file... how can I do it?
    Just create another new file and cover the original one?

Thank you for taking your time to reply my Q.

10. Copy the file from ...\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro LL\..., paste it into the game folder at ...\steam\SteamApps\common\Metro Last Light\... and replace it.

I always edit both of these the same way just in case.

11. yjwu1104

yjwu1104 Member

Oh I see!
    Bc I can never find that cfg. file in \AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro LL\...
    I can only find it in \steam\SteamApps\common\Metro Last Light\...
    Maybe it's where the problem is!
    Do you know how can I find the file in \AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro LL\...
    Thank you

12. There is a folder with numbers in the name in the AppData that contains the user.cfg that you need. For me it's 1100001016827eb but it seems to be different for everyone.

If you can't see the appdata folder at all, then you might need to enable hidden folders. Here is how you do it in Windows 7 (I assume you have this one): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7

#12 Komodo Saurian, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  13. yjwu1104

yjwu1104 Member

OMG!!!!! I can play it without those ugly faces!!!
    I can't thank you enough!!!
    I've been trying to solve this problem for a day now.
    Now I can play it with beautiful graphic.
    Thank you so much!!!!
    I'm really happy!
    It was very kind of you!:laugh:

14. Good.

I'll move this thread to the Technical problems forum now.

15. xXSoulSeekerXx

xXSoulSeekerXx New Member

I can't open the user.cfg file without having an error pop out saying "cannot find file", also I have my Metro LL data on an external hard drive. Tried to move the file to the desktop and open it and tried other various programs to open the file and they all fail. I also reinstalled the data too.
    Is there any other way to fix the issue?

16. This is a text configuration file. You should be able to open it with any text editor.

Yes, purchase a newer video card.

17. xXSoulSeekerXx

xXSoulSeekerXx New Member

I found out what I was doing wrong! I was opening up the user.cfg file and running it as a word document instead of opening up a word document program and then opening up the user.cfg file.

18. Well, there you go. Did that fix your problem?