Should I demote myself?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Concerns' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

Well, here goes.
    The forums have been growing smaller and smaller for each week/month that has passed. And with me recently being pretty busy, I'm becoming less active myself.
    I'm sure there are plenty here who are just as busy in daylife as I am, or even more, but I still want to clarify what I do.
    • -I work physically and mentally hard from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM, and I'm ready in front of the PC earliest averagely at 5 PM. That leaves me 5 hours until I should go to bed at 10 PM in order to be well rested for the next day of work.
    • -During these 5 hours, I find gaming more attractive, rather than using time at the forum. Despite this, I always have my habit/routine where I always browse the Forum, Twitter, my Emails and the likes.
    • -Usually two weekdays goes to spending the day with my.. Partner ;)
    • -Over half of the weekends as well usually goes to spending time with my partner. If not, there's almost always something else. Like this upcoming weekend I will be with my partner, and the next I will spend out in the wilderness camping with a friend of mine.
    • -I'm currently working on getting the driver's license, so I have some driving-classes now and then.

I'm becoming less and less interested in the forum because of the combination of all these reasons. I thought I'd host some contests to bring the forum back to some level of glory (which hopefully will work) but I'm realizing that it won't make me more interested in the forum. Quite opposite, it'll make it difficult for me to keep track of everything and what's going on. Just sitting down and starting a contest, has been so little appealing and even difficult for me everytime I've had the chance. I haven't participated in the Metro Redux threads because, well, I honestly haven't even played Redux yet. I was looking forward to it, but I have little time for it. And when I do have the time for it, I for some reason don't want to play it. Life is finally taking its toll. Not only that it uses a lot of my time, but it also makes me focus on real life and become properly interested in it, leaving little interest for the internet. That actually goes for gaming too; when I've had the chance to do some gaming, it hasn't really been as attracting or enjoyable as it has before.

Yes, we do have Aaron and Komodo as great improvement and compensation, and we could always promote more if need be; we have an absolutely awesome group of folks to choose from ;)
    But I remember that I demoted Von Streff (at his own request) when he became inactive, because it would be appropriate that he wasn't Super Moderator anymore. And I sort of feel that if I eventually become inactive as he has, perhaps I should follow his footsteps and do the same? Share your thoughts :)

#1 Skaara Dreadlocks, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  2. Heavygunner

Heavygunner Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sorry, but this is your decision. If you are inactive and still super moderator no one will be upset about it., instead people would be sad to see yet another good old forum member gone. Well, since Metro series hasn't that many things to discuss, it is predictable fact this forum is going to die slowly.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

To be honest, you've been doing an awesome job Skaara, but I'm not surprised that it has become weary for you. People get paid in full-time employment for moderating forums and running community-related stuff (usually on much larger forums, but nevertheless - especially so since you've been carrying out all of the responsibilities of an admin, whilst the actual admin only comes back every few weeks to stick a disgusting advert as background and changes the whole forum's layout so we can see the ad fully). Whilst you've been managing much of the forum in your own free time entirely. Damn, it's pretty depressing when you think about it. You, Aaron and Komo do all the work, whilst someone else makes money from it without giving you a penny. That's like slavery, though instead of being forced you guys do this out of passion for Metro 2033.

It's absolutely understandable why you feel this way, and I would be pretty demoralized about the state of the forum in your position as well. But it's not your fault in the slightest and you're one of the reasons why it's still functioning. Who cares if you're not always here? Our admin is making money off of this whole thing and she is practically never here! :p I think Heavygunner puts it very well: it's your decision ultimately. And I agree with him that if you'd stop showing up on the forum without demoting yourself, most if not all of us would be more concerned with your absence rather than the fact that you disappeared without demoting yourself. As long as there is someone to look after the forum's occasional spam invasions and guide new members, things will be fine. Though it would suck to lose one of my fellow old forum members... very few people are left from 3 years ago.

4. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

noooooooo

I can't tell you how to organize your life and what you should and shouldn't do, but I am going to say that I am sure as hell going to miss you around here if you decide to leave.:pout: It is a good thing that you have a life and go out doing stuff like camping all the time, being with friends, partner person, working, and who knows what else; and that's something you should take advantage of -which it seems you are- rather than being weighed down here by this amazing forum :p. I have to admit myself that I'm not all "whoa, metro, count me in" all the time type of person; so I understand where you're coming from. When you think about it, you can wonder about the other stuff you could have been doing instead of gazing through the topics of the forum and taking a long time to write something meaningful and smart -weird sentence :/

Though, after you have mentioned all of these great things that have now occupied you life, I would say, if it was me, to go with those and ditch the forum (if you had to chose one or the other). Not that I want you to leave or anything -you're a great guy and have been very kind to everyone here on the forum and have done everything that you could to keep it rolling with new topics while, at the same time, replying to people's comments- but knowing you'll be doing something you enjoy more is what I would prefer than having you here when you'd rather be doing something else :).

There is still the metro movie that's apparently in production to look forward too, and if there is every and SDK for metro, then I imagine this forum will never die due to all the modding and stuff. We've managed to keep our heads out of the water this entire time, unlike the borderlands 2 forum :)heh: suckers), and I think it will remain that way for a while; but that is not guaranteed.

What else.... well, I can't thing of anything right now. If you do decide to leave, I would say that you keep you're position here, in case you ever happen to stop by for a visit (like an honor ;)). Soooo, if you're leaving, I wish that you let us know and give us a heads up so that I could say goodbye and give you my email, or something, so that we may stay in touch once in a while...not like I have you on steam or anything :rolleyes:.

Now don't take all that I've said about "you will be missed around here" and force it upon yourself to stick around because you feel like you have to -that's the least I would want to happen is you having to do something you don't want to. Again, what ever makes you happiest is what I think you should do.

Anyway, I'll be twiddling my thumbs and thinking about hobos in the mean time. :D

#4 NuclearWastE3, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  5. Dead forum mod is the best job.

Keep checking back once in a while.

6. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

Well poopy balls in mustard it sucks to hear you say that, Skaara. I must admit that I myself have a lot of the same feelings of this forum becoming more of a job than a hobby. But if you want to become less active you by no means have to demote yourself. It's good that you've told us, and that's good enough for me. :)

7. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I cant tell you how to run your life,

But i am going to do it anyway Do what you thinks best :D

8. Skaara Dreadlocks

Way to put it, hahaha :lol:

Indeed, we are a dying species ;)

That is a very good point. It's a good ammount of years that this forum has been alive. True, it has been continuously decreasing in activity, but we've held a stable course above the 'deadline' for quite a while now, and we have in fact had some up-times during that time. And hey, if we ever fall close to the 'deadline', Harley'll probably come with her whip and get the forum alive again, or she'll get fired or less paid :lol:

True, true :rolleyes:

If I end up becoming inactive, I will indeed. Sometimes, I even go back to look at whatever remains I can find of old forums I've been at, that are now dead or even deleted.

Do you have some weird kinda redneck-slang over in Canada? :twitch:

I most likely will. If I were to leave, it wouldn't be like "eh, I'm here so rarely so there's no point for me to come here so bye guys I'll stop going here". It'd happen gradually, and I'd eventually just make a farewell thread if it came to a point where I would visit less than once every second week.

But, I'm just creating a huge number out of this way too early because I wanted to. It's possible I might stay as active as I am now, or who knows, maybe even become more active eventually? :noidea:

9. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Hey, I just realized that, if you demote yourself to Blue color, then you, Aaron, and Komodo can call yourselves the Blue Man Group. :p

10. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

this is the most emotional thread I've ever read, still reiterating everyone's point and also making myself feel like I'm wanted, real life should come before making a forum work without being paid, just my opinion, do what you think is the best

11. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Look skaara nothing bad will happen

*Plans Coup*

12. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I still come on to delete spambots whenever I get a report email :p

Not on much because, quite frankly, very few threads interest me at this point. I just come on without login once a day or so to make sure there is no spam XD

Skaara, I feel you should remain an admin, or make on of the mods an admin, even if you leave. It helps to have someone with admin powers if we need an extra forum type :)

13. Skaara Dreadlocks

Thanks! :)
    Also, in the "Count to 10000" thread, I replied that we don't have to forget to give some creds to TotalAaron for his work, but I actually meant you, haha. Let me just go edit that x)