Quantcast

Should Diablo change perspective?

Discussion in 'Diablo' started by William Quah, Feb 26, 2014.

1. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I mean Diablo is known to have the top down camera perspective but do you think the game will be better if it's in a different perspective? Like maybe over the shoulder third person or perhaps first person?

2. Lucas

Lucas Active Member Regular

Never! :O It would ruin the whole game. Isometric view is the best for games like that (hack'n'slash) and I can't even imagine Diablo without that view. Really! :)

3. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

No, never. There are far than enough RPGs that have a 3rd and 1st person perspectives. Its hard to find good isometric RPGs these days. Path of Exile and Torchlight 2 were the last real good ones that I can recall.

4. Lucas

Lucas Active Member Regular

There are some new games with isometriv view like Val Helsing 2. I did not play it yet, but it seems it's a nice game similiar to Diablo and PoE with crafting and all that stuff. Check it out ;)

5. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

It would kind of ruin the brand if they tried a different perspective. I don't see the point in turning the game into first person or World of Warcraft style of play.

6. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

Not a chance! There's just something about the way the camera is that makes it have the omnipresent feel that Diablo games are known for. Sure, we're playing the characters, and technically the story is from that character's perspective; but having the camera where it is makes us see, for lack of a better phrasing 'the big picture'.

7. jayres

jayres Member

Literally never! A part of the charm is the top-down perspective allowing for complete display of the surrounding carnage. A first person view is to limited to what is in front of you. Diablo is too 'arcade', for lack of a better term, and definitely needs the field of view offered by its current perspective.

8. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Nope. It wouldn't be even close to the same game if they tried to change the perspective. A few games tried, but we all know how it turned out. :)

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

No, it would ruin the game for me and probably for a lot of people. This game is made to be played from that perspective, a third player one wouldn't cut it I'm afraid.

10. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member Regular

No, I am a big fan of how it is. That's what makes it "Diablo" to me. It's one thing I dont think they should change.

11. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

The top down perspective was an impediment at first. It was hard to get used to. I did eventually adjust to it tough.

12. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member Regular

The top down perspective is sort of one of the staples of the diablo games (sounds silly I know). I wouldn't however rule out a mod or so that can be produced on the side that can give you a different perspective of the map. Might be neat, who knows. But I strongly doubt the top down perspective will change.

13. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

It would take more than an addon or mod for a change like that, or at least one that does more than the TOS will allow.

14. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

Nah. I like it the way it is in isometric. Changing perspective would defeat the overall feel of the franchise. It just wouldn't be the same honestly.

15. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

No, the perspective is fine as it is. It not only is game-defining, it is even genre-defining and I can't imagine playing a game like Diabloe with another perspective. The game would have to be completely overhauled to fit the new perspective. For example, I imagine a Diablo game with a behind-the-character third-person camera would be closer to an action RPG/hack and slash type of game than truly Diablo, you know what I mean? Though it would be fun still! But it wouldn't be Diablo anymore.

16. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I basically agree with this. Diablo is designed around the perspective. The perspective all feeds into the way combat, loot, and classes are designed. Changing the perspective would change the core of the game, I think it might be cool to change up the perspective if they were to ever make a spinoff, but I would be totally disappointed if Diablo 4 or whatever made a change like that.

17. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, that's just what I was thinking. It would actually be pretty cool for a spin-off, but would be atrocious if done to an actual sequel.

18. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

I would probably not play a diablo game with a different perspective. I generally like top view in games like dota, rts's and I like it the same in D2.

19. p4lse

p4lse Active Member Regular

That would just ruin the experience for me and most of the gamers who play this game. The way the camera moves now is perfect and doesn't need any changes in my humble opinion. This is what makes the game unique and shouldn't be changed.

20. Christian46

Christian46 Well-Known Member Regular

First person would be really interesting to play with for a little bit, but I don't think it would fit the game too well. I think it's current perspective fits the game perfectly.