Quantcast

Should being peaceful be more interesting?

Discussion in 'Civilization VI' started by AgentD22, Aug 3, 2016.

1. AgentD22

AgentD22 Member Regular

Hi guys, I was inspired by Oursifthefury's post about "Warfare or diplomacy" to ask this question.

So, I've always thought that having a peaceful game was relatively easy in CIV5, like, you can have peace for hundreds of turns unless you get a leader like Shaka or Atila, but that doesn't really make any sense now does it? World peace is one of those things people joke about being impossible.

Other problem I had with CIV5 was that a diplomatic style was always way too boring compared to just killing your enemies, there wasn't enough political maneuvering to do to keep you on your toes for every turn.

What do you guys think?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Well, sometimes I like to be peaceful and build up my army then go strong but it's still pretty boring. Going at war with a lot of nations is what makes Civilization fun, hopefully in VI the diplomatic style will be more interesting.

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

I like to use both. i don't like to play at just one pace. There are times that they game just needs to become more exciting. Lets hope that civ VI lets us play in the same way. I think with the advances we have seen in the gaming community the AI should be more challenging.

4. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

Well, the game is all about time and patience, you really need to know how to administrate your turns in order to dominate the match, you gotta take advantage of the time you're given to develop strategies, plan your next moves, build anything you would like to build, save up things and all the stuff of that nature, that's what makes Civ series as amazing as they are, that's my opinion though.

5. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I certainly would like it if there was more mechanics put in place to make that sort of playstyle more dynamic and interesting when compared to the other playstyles.

6. EntropiaAddict

EntropiaAddict New Member

I have always preferred to win the game through technology advancements over military power. I am really hoping that Civilization VI comes up with a way to make it much more interesting then it currently is. One of the concepts I have always loved about Civilization is the ability to "win" without having to just fight your way to victory. There are plenty of other games out there if I just want to kill everyone. Some interactive and game-changing things could really benefit the technology race in the game as currently it feels like this has taken a back-seat to military power. I tend to only build the military up enough to defend myself rather than try and conquer others.

7. ad.mike2016

ad.mike2016 Member Regular

The higher up on the difficultly level you go the harder it is to keep peace. I have always found it harder to go the diplomacy route. I feel like you will be minding your own business and someone will attack you (for no reason) and then your reputation is ruined causing all the other civilizations to not trust you. I like to get as far as I can year wise in the game and if I play deity I am lucky to make it out of the stone age!

8. Casiox

I definitely agree with you, it could not be all about being peaceful or not, it is mostly about doing things wisely and well done, for sure.

9. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member Regular

I think the peaceful route should have a lot more depth than it does, it doesn't feel nearly as engaging as being truly "peaceful" should require to be.

10. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

Yes of course

11. taco

taco Member Regular

Keep a strong military, especially near borders with aggressive tribes, this will discourage them from attacking. Also form friendships and defensive pacts with other strong countries. Other Civs are much more reluctant to attack if you have allies. Finally buy off other Civs, bribe them to declare war, and keep them attacking each other. This will discourage them from attacking you.

12. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member Regular

Even then, you're forcing a peaceful gameplay where there isn't really any.. it should be a path in the game much more defined or thoughtful

13. SirJoe

I think that has been one of the great strengths of Civilization in the past, you aren't forced to play just one style of game. I think that Civilizations VI will bring more realism a greater dynamic play then we have seen so far.

14. Casiox

I personally think that it may depend on how you define being "peaceful" of course it means something depth, but you're the one who develops the gameplay, that's why it is a strategy game.

15. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member Regular

You are absolutely right. The free will of buliding anything and all those types of things makes it interesting. Patience is the important thing.

16. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member Regular

A strategy game requires a peaceful person but I think think everyone requires this type of mindset because the other people can also do it.

17. Casiox

Not exactly a peaceful person, it mostly requires a strategic player that can be able to handle the game situations properly, that's what it really needs.

18. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

This sounds sensible to me. The fun might be in trying to be peaceful rather than actually being peaceful and maybe sometimes luck also has something to do with it. I'm a new player though so I haven't really discovered majority of the possibilities as of now.

19. AntonioCalcano

AntonioCalcano Member Regular

I don't know if being peaceful is more interesting, it will depend on your taste, for me it's more challenging for sure but not more interesting. I found out that War will always be more interesting because it's more exciting and fun. But any approach that you take should be interesting.

20. SirJoe

I agree if you play it too peaceful it takes longer and might not be as fun. I am willing to give it a try though.