Should Artyom talk more in Metro: Last Light?

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Luster, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Luster

Luster Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on Artyom's personality? As I recall in Metro 2033, he was very quiet and barely spoke.

In a different game called Dead Space, the main character, Isaac, never spoke. But in the sequel, Dead Space 2, Isaac had much more dialogue - and some fans enjoyed him speaking more.

What about you guys? Do you think Arytom should speak more in Metro: Last Light than he did in Metro 2033?

2. Akula

Akula Member

He should. But, the storyline for Metro 2033 has already past and maybe Artyom was re-telling it? Unless that was Artyom's Stepfather, Sukhoi.

3. Kosmonavt

Kosmonavt Member

I think Artyom was re-telling his story in 2033. I'd like to see Artyom with more lines other than cursings, and in a better voice - I think his voice in 2033 looks too old, too deep, too... Strong to be a 20-year-olds voice. But I don't think he should speak too much. He's a quiet character, more of a listener than a speaker.

4. Cheaptrix

Cheaptrix Member

Give him like 10 lines in the game, but make them damn epic!

5. Jimaniac

Jimaniac Member

Artyom should talk a bit more in Last Light (during cutscenes imo), rather than just narrating the events during loading screens and the endings.

6. Suliot

Suliot Member

Yeah the Russian voice over for Artyom, was very old and deep for a 20 year old guy. The English one was better, but I still prefered to play the game on Russian.

OT. As for him speaking more well I just don't think its in his personality, as I recall Khan tells him that he is becoming a ranger slowly, because he is very silent.

7. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Gears of War finds a balance, basically follow that.

8. Beowolf

Beowolf New Member

I think he should, all we really hear from him was grunts and heavy breathing, if i wanted more of that id date Rosie odonell :)

9. SerStalin

SerStalin Member

All I ask is that they don't turn him into a "one-liner dispensing commander shepard"-like character.

10. RedJacketMan

RedJacketMan Well-Known Member

He should talk a bit more. In Metro 2033, he was the archetypal silent protagonist. I think they should give Artyom lines that give a bit more information about him as a character, but not enough to ruin the idea that you are the protagonist, and not just an observer.

11. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, he should keep the in-game speech (except for between chapters) talk to a minimum, as in the book he is rather thoughtful.

12. Oxotnik

Oxotnik Active Member

I think he should talk but not very much. I mean shut up always or talking too much (like me =) ) is not very good. MODERATION!

13. Nod2033

Nod2033 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Artyoms voice is so badass with the russian version.with others versions he sounds like an idiot seriously -.- but yea i want him to talk more than in metro 2033 like when gets hurt it would be nice to hear a "FUCK" or something :D

14. RedJacketMan

Well, he says fuck in Metro 2033, when hes about to get crushed by a hand car.

15. Ashtrax

Ashtrax Well-Known Member

The benefit of not having Artyom talk was that he didn't show any opinion towards matters during the game, imo this allows you to 'be' Artyom. He doesn't force any opinions upon you so you don't feel like you're being swayed either way. Being quiet/silent brings far less problems than if/when he talks. The voiceover like people have said above, doesn't fit with a young Artyom leading people to believe its him or Sukhoi retelling it. Personally I would have him silent as this allows him to be the Artyom in my mind, the Artyom I want him to be not someone elses view of him.

16. RedJacketMan

Yeah, your right Ashtrax. It really makes it feel as if you are playing a role in the story, not just an observer in another persons body.

17. lolinski

lolinski Well-Known Member

I am unsure because I like the type of game where the protagonist doesnt talk much remember the old Doom the point there was that you would imagine being that guy which sort of makes Metro 2033 so special to me because if you dont apply many beliefs,opinions and etc to your character its easier to relate to him.

18. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This.