Shooting your money

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by SpartanKobe, Nov 21, 2015.

1. SpartanKobe

SpartanKobe Member
    Regular

Has anyone here done a playthrough where they used a substantial amount of MGR's?

Also, does anyone know the math behind MGR's vs. dirty rounds? How more effective are MGR's exactly vs dirty rounds?

I'm thinking of doing a playthrough where I use MGR's 99% of the time.

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

It has been ages since I played Metro 2033 or Last Light, so I can't say I'm a particularly reliable source for this, but I remember there was a noticeable difference between the effectiveness of MGRs and dirty ammo.

I think there was a certain point in Metro 2033 past which it became obvious that you will not have any more opportunities to buy stuff; I think on all my playthroughs, since I explored and scavenged carefully, I always managed to collect plenty of MGRs until then. After that point, I would start putting them to good use, especially in the last few chapters and on the amoebas.

With Last Light I cannot remember if there was a comparable moment, however I do recall that I used MGRs more often in that game - mostly on the more heavily armoured mutants and boss fights. All in all, in both games I tried to be frugal with how much I used the military ammunition for combat. Doing a playthrough using just them could be interesting.

3. Heya.

I did that. Never used a dirty bullet once in some of the runs.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter. Headshots kill anything short of a Librarian or a Demon with a single bullet regardless of the difficulty or a weapon so use whatever you want. This is true for all existing versions of the games. Exibit A:

[YOUTUBE]WijFLpRKR98[/YOUTUBE]

However if you can't pull off headshots consistently, then using MGRs is a must in the original Metro 2033. On Ranger difficulties a single MGR kills a human enemy with a single body shot, provided you don't hit armor plates or various equipment like flasks or spare mags or anything solid enough to slow down a bullet. Exhibit B, skip to 1:05:

[YOUTUBE]BvTIXcpz3C0[/YOUTUBE]

In the original Last Light and Redux versions of both games there is no reason to use MGRs though. Not only they are incendiary now, which makes follow up shots hard to pull off due to burning effects getting in the way (The flame itself is obstructive and it's hard to tell if the enemies are trying to extinguish themselves or going through a death animation, so you might waste ammunition), but the game now allows quick follow up shots without raising an alarm and breaking stealth. I find that it's much easier to do a tripple tap with regular dirty rounds.

As for the mutants, you are ought to use a shotgun against those anyway. Exhibits C & D, skip to 0:32:

[​IMG]

[YOUTUBE]DOqWySLJXcQ[/YOUTUBE]

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

And I was just about to say "Hah, doing a whole playthrough where you fire only MGRs? Good luck with those knife-skills!"...
    I imagined it would be near impossible to make it through the whole game using only MGRs, but then again, this guy:

5. There are over thirteen hundred MGRs you can pick up in the world of Metro 2033. It's enough to kill everything that moves.

6. DaDeadlyCheese

DaDeadlyCheese Well-Known Member

I think its safe to say there is nothing you can do in a metro game that isn't already be done, and done better, by komo!
    A god amongst us mortal metro dwellers. If and when a new metro comes out, I'd bet £50 that he'd have completed and uploaded a play through to YouTube, showing in detail how to do it without dying or firing a shot, and unlocked every achievement before I'd even bought the game at the midnight release

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Can I have that 50 quid already then? Komo still hasn't gotten all achievements on any of the Metro games. :p Which I'm not surprised about at all; I'm not a fan of achievements personally because I feel like they force me to play games a certain way or for a certain amount of time, and I'd love it if there was an option to turn them off on Steam. Though ironically Metro was one of the only series which I made an exception for with them as they just gave me an excuse to play them for even longer.

However, I'm not saying that to devalue what Komo's done. I've said it in the past a few times already, all the videos you made about the games and how far you've familiarised yourself with their mechanics is extremely impressive. Plus in the past you have done some brilliant stuff for the Metro Wikia. Good work here moderating the forum as well, especially back in its slightly more active times.

Anyway, I should probably stop now otherwise this will go completely off-topic and turn into the Komo appraisal thread. :lol:

8. SpartanKobe

SpartanKobe Member
    Regular

Well I just did Kshatriya using mainly MGR's. They can be very helpful. I didn't even need to buy an AK :p I just loaded my bastard with MGR's and it killed everything.