Samsung, Apple or another?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by thecorinthian, Nov 18, 2015.

1. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

If we're talking about bang for your buck, apps, interface, services, design and the like which phone would you prefer a Samsung or Apple phone? Is your choice dependent on friend recommendations? Do you choose it because you already have a phone plan?

I have a Samsung phone that's three years old. I have it because it was free with my phone plan. I don't really care for smartphones I just need one to communicate online.

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

So far I have an LG phone and it basically blows every other phone that came out in 2013 and a big portion of 2014. I'm talking about the LG G2. Right now the Note 5 seems really interesting, I may go for it in the future.

3. c9h2ua

c9h2ua Active Member
    Regular

In my opinion, apple is really good. IOS has a beautiful interface, cool design. The app store has some really good apps that android doesn't have. The only bad thing is that, it doesn't give enough permission to the user. When I am using android, I can install some third-party apps while IOS can't. Therefore, it really depends on what kind of user you are.

4. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member
    Regular

Samsung or Apple are good but they're premium brand. If bang for your buck is what you're most concerned about, I'd suggest looking into the lesser known manufacturer from China, i.e. Oneplus, Xiaomi or Huawei. The one I have now is the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3: metal design, fingerprint scanner and 4000mAh for under 200 USD. The drawbacks are the chipset (MediaTek variant) and it's not exactly well distributred outside China.

5. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've a friend who has a G4 and I have S4 and they're pretty equal despite S4 coming out a lot earlier. Not saying the G-series is bad, G4 certainly has a far superior camera compared to my phone, but I've had S4 for a while now and it still holds up really good.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, it depends on what settings you're using but the G4 has a better camera and software in general, let's not forget about the many camera options too. S4 is definitely good though.

7. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have a Huawei phone. It was reasonably priced and included all the features I wanted with enough space and RAM memory. In addition it was a discount offer already so I couldn't resist buying it.

8. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

If you're going for top tier then LG or Samsung generally due to flexibility. Apple's okay for what it does but they're so proprietary that it's really a cramp if you want to do a huge variety of stuff. I'd avoid no name brands, no offense to China but the electronics regulations aren't the same as the US. There's been issues with battery overloads and other problems with said phones.

#8 Cereus, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  9. Bannon

Bannon Active Member
    Regular

I'm actually a little split about the things I like about smartphones. I like the app variety and number of Apple's AppStore which is why I stuck to using an iPhone primarily. Android caught my attention because of its customizability and versatility so I tinker around with it every now and then in a VM or occasionally on someone else's phone. And I love the UI and look of Windows Phone especially with how snappy it is and as of the latest Windows Phone 10 update, the ability to power a more proper desktop environment. As for picking which one is the best one to get, I really think it depends on what you want to prioritize. Apps for Apple, personalization and Google Drive for Android, or really nice to use interface for Windows Phone.

10. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

The battery issues are almost all caused by third party knock off chargers that were passed of as the name brand chargers to unsuspecting consumers. Apple uses Chinese labor, Samsung uses Korean labor and so does LG. Many name brand items are manufactured in both China and South Korea contrary to popular belief. Assuming that something is of poor quality because of the nation it is made in is silly and assuming that name brand items are assembled or manufactured in the nation a company is headquartered in is equally silly.

11. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've been sticking to LG for a couple of years, and I even tried windows phones. If I had to choose between Apple and Samsung, Samsung all the way. Just not a fan of Apple and the IOS, lol.

12. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't really have any preference when it comes to phone producers, since they all manufacture their supply in China, ha, ha. Huawei would be just as suitable as Samsung to me. If it's cheap and works good in my hands, then I'm in for it!

13. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

I absolutely adore my iPhone. I know, I know, I "drank the koolaid" or whatever, but it holds up under pressure, and I'm hard on my stuff. I had the 5c, it was good, but I love my 6s!

14. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like my iPhone simply because it's as powerful as I need it to be, is Apple (great company), and is easy to use with a nice UI.

15. jviloriab96

jviloriab96 Member
    Regular

I currently own a LG G2. I'm pretty sure its the best phone I've ever had. I wouldn't change it for a Samsung. I used to have a S3, and it never felt half as good as having a beautiful G2. If I were to switch companies, I'd definitely buy an iPhone. I'm a fan of pretty things hahaha

16. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I would never pay for an iPhone. Both iOS and Android are essentially (yes I know Android is actually Linux) Unix derived; don't get me into the my Unix is better than your Unix contest. The point is that Apple does have anything over Samsung in the OS department. For the higher end phones Samsung clearly out does Apple in performance and customization options. If I had to pick between the to I would say a Samsung S6 or S7 when it comes out. Apple products are on a closed ecosystem, expensive for what they offer, and Apple does not innovate anymore. I don't want a status symbol, I want a smartphone.

17. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have been using Android phone for a pretty long time now, not going to switch over to Apple. That said, I will prefer an Samsung for my apps, interface, service. I am not following friends' recommendation. The fact is I am already used to the Samsung and would like it especially for my apps.