Sad that such a great game, has brightness problems

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by Joe1001, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Joe1001

Joe1001 New Member

Hello :)

I'm new here on the forum and would like to say,
    that this game is really great and I love it.

What a shame, that I didn't played it sooner.
    I've buyed it in the past, but never played it to the end.

I was busy with other games, till they where finished + DLC.
    Then I was looking after similar games till I finished these.
    And so on ...

( Fallout 3 + N.V. => Rage => Borderlands 1 + 2 => Metro 2033 )

I'm supprised that I liked Metro 2033 so quickly more than Borderlands 1.
    (Nice fun game, but: Fetch & Catch quests) Go here, go there ...

Metro 2033, bear with me, I'm only in Chapter 2 and was already convinced, that Metro is way better, than Borderlands 1.
    Better story, better quests, better humor, ...

Sadly, one thing is really annoying me about Metro:
    "The brightness of the game"

Ok (darkness, creepy, ... I also love that)
    But for example: In the first Trade-Market/Riga, I could only find so much missed loot and places, when I've turned even my PC-screen-brightness
    to it's maximum, even the game's brightness was also already at Max.

My PC-screen is now so bright, that It almost hurt my eyes, watching at it.
    But it's the only way, to find stuff in even more darker places.

And no, it's not my nvidia or installation-upgrades.
    All is updated, all other games works fine. Only Metro's it's brightness,
    I don't like. For the rest, all ok.

Joe :)

2. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

I know what you mean by missing loot as the mechanics for highlighting objects was pretty poorly done in 2033. As you know the atmosphere of the game is dark, but I've not had any problems with regards to brightness and navigating the stations.

Monitors/TV's can be a tricky thing to calibrate to get almost perfect colour re-production. Try and find some colour profiles for your monitor/tv and adjust gamma/brightness etc (what have you got btw?)

Additionally, the game is purposely very dark (in places) hence why you need to crank up your flashlight in game to find objects and to navigate.

3. Joe1001

Joe1001 New Member

Thank you: Majnu

First of all, I know this is a game in the darkness.
    I've played a dam lot of games, in dark places.
    Maybe that's the reason, why I have a collection of more of 5000 games.

Nintendo 8 bit, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 bit, Sega Mega Drive,
    Playstation 1 & 2, PC-games from WINDOWS 95, till my latest I7 core,
    Commodore 64, .... I have them ALL !!!

Never ever, I needed to change my PC-screen to it's max settings.

It's dark and it's stays dark.

Metro 2033, is killing my PC maximum results.

Color-card and everything, all ok,.........

Metro: is just way to dark !!!!!!!!!!

Back to FALLOUT 3 and RAGE: stuff .........

4. Joe1001

Joe1001 New Member

Next game on top of my list:

BIOSHOCK 3

Edit:

Sorry, that I was so angry before, but it's really annoying.
    And yes, like in these dark tunnels, I've activated my flashlight.

Ow NO, now I feel ashame.

I even must activate my flashlight in these trading-markets (safe cities) ?
    Dam, tomorow, I must check that out. I hope it works ?
    Otherwise, It's to dam dark at certain places.

Majnu, thanks again. I will check this out tomorow.
    I'm such a fool ...

#4 Joe1001, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  5. Crossing

Crossing Well-Known Member

I find it highly unlikely that your monitor and game brightness is up all the way and you can't see anything. Something sounds broken here. I have no problems, even when my monitor is on eco mode (lowers the brightness).

6. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Some areas are purposely dark, otherwise there would be no need for the flash light and night vision goggles (yes these are available later in the game either you can find a couple or buy the stealth suit which comes with it)

A game where you're safe by remaining in shadows should shout out "It's not going to be easy to navigate! I did the whole of Frontlines using IRNV goggles. To do the stealth achievement I shot out every single light bulb there was. :D

Make sure your flashlight is charged to the max, it dims down a lot if it isn't and the throw distance is dramatically reduced. That's realism!
    As for performance. Metro 2033 when released used every DX11 trick in the book that was available, hence why it is always used for benchmarks even today! It's a stunning game, and known as a GPU Killer. It's weird because PC enthusiasts want the game to blow their GPU up lol

You shouldn't have to use the flashlight at stations which are lit, like I said the game looks fine to me. Can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing in game? You shouldn't have to crank your brightness to the max, that will give inaccurate colours.

This is how the chapter D6 looks for me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#6 majnu, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  7. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone else has had this problem, it might be your monitor.
    Try playing with your curtains closed and your lights off and like Majnu said, keep your flashlight charged up to the maximum, it helps a lot. I personally find night vision useless in most places though.
    When I play it I actually want the game to be darker than it already is and the flashlight is rarely needed, I just keep it on so I can see objects a little easier although it's kind of unneeded because everything worth picking up glows a little.

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree with the others; no one else seems to be having this problem - it's either a problem with your hardware or your eyes, though hopefully the former as that can be easily replaced. :p

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

If this happens with no other game at all, and your computer specs are normal, and you are one hundred percent sure that the screen's brightness is on 100% as well as the game, then I only see one possible problem:

There is something wrong with your installation of the game. It must lack something severe, or some files must be damaged. If this is correct, I'd try to reinstall it, and if that doesn't work, try to actually by a new copy of Metro2033. (It's currently 100%free on facebook for a very very short moment longer). That should give you the complete set of files for the game, and will hopefully fix it.

If it doesn't, then there must be something about the specifications of Metro, and the specifications of your computer, that completely won't budge for each other for some reason. A specific combination that has never been done by anyone else, and this specific combination causes your problem. Like being mutated by radioactivity would 1 out of 1000000 chances give you an extra working arm, whilst the remaining 9999999 chances will kill you or make you swell up or something like that. (Which is why I find Metro unrealistic unless scientists were working to make the perfect atom that could mutate beings in a positive way, and then cloned the atom and turned it into a nuclear weapon).

If nothing works, then the only possibility is that you are under the Dark Ones' influence.

10. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

If you look at this video, there are some dark scenes when he shoots the light bulb out at 6 seconds into the video. That is how dark the game is supposed to be. Without a flashlight (which can get you detected from enemies) or (IRNV goggles) you're literally left alone in the dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_leHHCA8eMI

11. Thane

Thane Well-Known Member

OP, something sounds broken too me. I would not, and i've never heard anyone else say those things....