ROUTINE: Proceduraly generated horror game with permanent death

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Komodo Saurian, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Eighties sci-fi with killer robots on the moon. Designed with the Oculus Rift in mind.

[YOUTUBE]LaZqV0o7EW4[/YOUTUBE]​

2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Looks pretty neat. Seems oddly rogue-like, and pretty similar to Amnesia and Outlast. I hope it builds itself around atmosphere, instead of just being a painful jump-scare fest.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

It does look pretty nice, I'm intrigued.
    I know what you mean, but I don't completely agree. You have to admit that for jump-scares to actually be effective there has to be an atmosphere that makes you edgy in the first place. Though I agree that overusing jump-scares can get boring - the best horror experiences make you anticipate jump-scares throughout the whole thing with very few of them actually occurring, but also continually freaking you out with an atmosphere that makes you feel uneasy.

4. Potarto

I just hate deliberately setting up jump-scares. It gives me a headache always knowing when I'm being set up and still instinctively jumping anyways. I really enjoyed the Metro series, especially the spider parts (which was pretty damn unnerving), but I can't stand most horror movies, since it's just me sitting there for an hour being unable to avoid the adrenaline snap that I know is coming.

5. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

But i love that :) jump scares are a great horror device

6. Potarto

Eh, they just feel cheap and leave a bad taste in my mouth. Just me I guess.

7. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Watch the start of Yahtzes amnesia the dark decent for why jump scares can work

8. Potarto

They work, just a little too well. I don't enjoy them is all.