Role-playing in LotRO: Need tips on how to play

Discussion in 'Lord of the Rings' started by rivengamer, Oct 14, 2013.

1. rivengamer

rivengamer Well-Known Member

Social role-playing in LotRo is something that's very new to me considering that I've always played MMOs mostly for the game mechanics and personal immersion. To the uninitiated, social role-playing is a play style that requires people to act out their characters as strictly indicated by the by lore and the setting.

For example, players role-playing won't chat as if they're talking normally, they'll probably act out a skit or a situation that gives a particular role to their characters. If you choose to act out as a drunk burglar hobbit, then you must find ways to act that out and convince people of your role.

I'm probably making this more complicated than it looks, but for people like me who haven't done it, it really does seem difficult. For LotRO role-players, can you give tips on how to do this?

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I never could get into role playing in games it just takes up to much time and effort so I am not the best knowledgeable on this subject , but I would maybe go to google and type in role playing tips hope this was any help.

3. annelions

annelions Member

I'm not unfamiliar with roleplaying in LoTRO, but I don't participate in it myself. While I will happily RP in a text-based environment, I have difficulty with the concept of doing such a thing in a graphical environment. It's simply not possible to do a lot of things in an MMO, so one must resort to text anyway.

That said, I do have a few friends that enjoy RP in LoTRO. There are events, like concerts and markets, for RPers to gather and have fun. I've gone to one once or twice, but lost interest. If you're still interested in RPing on LoTRO and haven't found anybody to hang out with, I can dig up more info for you.

4. Brothainarms

Brothainarms Member

I'd love some more info on this as well. I haven't really experimented with the LOTRO RP features, but am interested in starting. I would probably prefer the graphical environment role playing.

5. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Roleplaying is something that you need to experience to understand. I recommend that you visit Bree and go to the Prancing Pony and watch some others RP and maybe even join in yourself to try it out.

6. Patty

Patty Active Member

You posted this a while ago so I'm not sure if you'll see it, but LOTRO can actually be very nice for roleplaying. I roleplayed on the Landroval server for a while before moving on and it was overall a great experience. I agree with the post above too, just go to the Prancing Pony (basically the roleplay hub) and don't be afraid to join in on the fun. I'll warn you, there are some lore hounds out there that'll pick on you for the most trivial things but don't let it get to you.

And also, there's a weekly event called Ales and Tales on the Landroval server on Monday nights. Lots of roleplaying there and a friendly community. I think it's still active.
    https://lonelymountainband.guildlau...d=128176&sid=d24bc9e310a9572d89211f1961bef646

7. andrew172

andrew172 Well-Known Member

I don't roleplay, but I do like to tell lotr based jokes that are inline with what my character would say. As an elf meeting dwarves for example, I usually have something to say xD

8. jaygee

jaygee Active Member

If you find sincere role playing in LOTRO with other players, it will have to be among your guild because you won't find that in group chat. Most of group chat is annoying. I prefer to play my character and get into the game, not participate in a silly, 14 yr old insult fest.