Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

OMFG YES!!!!!!!1 :flame:

For me this is probably the best thing revealed at E3 2015. I spent over 250 hours playing Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm, which offer some of the best multiplayer gaming experiences I have come across. I was really looking forward to the mod "In Country: Vietnam", but that seems to have died after turning into an independent project. Now Tripwire Interactive has announced "Rising Storm 2: Vietnam", which is being made by Antimatter Games - the same people who made the original "Rising Storm" expansion. I am eagerly anticipating a similar RO2 experience, but this time with a new setting, more automatic weaponry, helicopters and probably a bunch of other new stuff.

The announcement trailer can be viewed here:

[YOUTUBE]7bxPi-MKwws[/YOUTUBE]

To anyone who is not familiar with the Red Orchestra series:

They are a lot like the recent Battlefield games in that they feature conquest-focused multiplayer battles but at the same time they're smaller, much more realistic, with less vehicles, worse graphics, more atmosphere, more interesting maps and an overall extremely deeper and more intense gameplay model. They are considerably less accessible and immensely more rewarding for those who put the time in than most other online shooters. They are also much more focused on actual teamwork as opposed to running around aimlessly and shooting people (for example, unlike in BF3, here a really good team can win a full session in less than 5 minutes... a session that can usually last about half an hour). Although Red Orchestra 2 is one of the more realistic games out there that provides a more authentic combat experience than most mainstream FPS titles, it is simultaneously significantly less realistic and (in my opinion) more enjoyable than the Arma series.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad was originally set mostly during the Battle of Stalingrad (1942-1943), but over time - with new official map packs released for free and the integration of many stellar fanmade maps into the core game - it now takes place across various parts of Eastern Europe during World War II, featuring locations in other parts of Russia, Poland and Ukraine. The available factions are the Soviet Army and the Wehrmacht. The Rising Storm expansion took the series to the Pacific Theatre of the Second World War, introducing new maps and various new gameplay mechanics (traps, banzai charges, flamethrowers, and so on) as well as obviously the two new factions: US Armed Forces and the Imperial Japanese Army.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam will be set during the Vietnam War between US (perhaps with South Vietnamese) forces and the People's Army of Vietnam (perhaps with the Việt Cộng). Knowing Tripwire Interactive, I would assume that the game (or expansion?) will be released with many technical issues and probably without some of the promised features, but over time it will grow into another amazing production that is worth your time. Though maybe the fact that this time they are cooperating with Antimatter Games from the get-go might result in a more complete product at launch.

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

Haha, my best friend is going to be so extremely excited about this; he loves these kind of games, especially Rising Storm / Red Orchestra, and especially any game/map with Vietnam terrain/territory and that stereotypical Vietnam-war-music like in.. was it Battlefield2?

He and I have played a lot of Arma2 missions together, and he once actually made his own Arma2 mission on a Vietnam-map that he downloaded, and it turned out really really awesome. I actually just dug up two old screenshots, first one is taken by my friend, and second is taken by me. Notice the right wrist on my character.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Notice the size-difference of each our screen monitors :lol:

Anyway, back on track, this game really does look awesome and I might get it.
    Back off track:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 Skaara Dreadlocks, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Close. It was not Battlefield 2, but Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (in truth it was an expansion pack for it). Though there was also one Battlefield game set in Vietnam that was released much earlier, called simply "Battlefield Vietnam".

5. Loved it to bits.

[YOUTUBE]PFn3kpqgPTc[/YOUTUBE]

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

If I can kill people with the pepesha in RS2: Vietnam then I'm settled.

7. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Looks great. There aren't too many Vietnam wargames out there that are worth noting. And I have yet to play the Red Orchestra games, but I might as well wait for this one to get started with the series.
    Just wow.

8. Commissar_Jimbo

Commissar_Jimbo Well-Known Member

Mann- I used to love Bad Company 2...