Redemption ending may be canon(SPOILER).

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Stalker Bar, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Stalker Bar

Stalker Bar Well-Known Member

The fact that the metro 2034 book includes somethings like miller loosing his arm(In video game both legs), and Artyom getting married with Anna, could it be that the Redemption ending may be canonical?Please post anything you know.:D

2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that 2034 was written before Last Light, and was kind of its own thing since its plot didn't lend itself well to a game. I haven't read the books though, so it could well be just placed afterwards in the timeline from what you said.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Since you already know some of this, my explanation contains only minor spoilers for M2034. :)

Melnik is on a wheelchair and his right arm is missing in M2034. However, this happened during his search for Hunter - which took place after the events of M2033 (the novel). Hunter is alive in M2034 and he is one of the main characters. Artyom doesn't appear in M2034 at all. There is a secondary protagonist there with the same name (Artyom Popov, but he is not the same person). Артём is actually a very common name in Russia. Moreover, this theory doesn't really fit with the epilogue to Metro 2033 (which I believe wasn't translated to English before the release of Last Light, as it came in physical form with my copy of К свету, but you should be able to find the English translation in comic form here on the forum: http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=4500&highlight=gospel ).

So, unfortunately, not everything that happens in the novels is shown in the games (some things are actually changed), so there are two strands of canon to follow. However, there's also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_2035 And since Glukhovsky said that M2035 will basically be Last Light in book form, I'm guessing he'll convert the story from the game into his new novel in a way that won't contradict what happens in the previous books but that will also have to contradict what happens in the games. I hope that clears things up.

@Potarto: Yep, you're right. ;)

4. Can we stop comparing book and game continuities? Because there is no connection.

Novel canon
    Videogame canon
    Moral ending alternate
    Standard ending alternate
    Parallel stories
    Ambiguous, Speculation

[​IMG]

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Exactly. Perhaps we should put this in a sticky locked thread on one of the boards, so then we can just direct people there? Someone keeps bringing it up and I guess we can't hold it against them as not everyone is here as often and for as long as we are, but it would be a nice way to deal with threads that attempt to draw comparisons between the two main strands of canon - which I believe we already have plenty of.

6. Maybe I'll take the time to write a really short post saying hey stupid, look at this picture before posting.