Red Orchestra 2 can be downloaded for free (not a free weekend)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Huge discount - Red Orchestra 2 can be downloaded for free (not a free weekend)

Looks like RO2: Heroes of Stalingrad is free for a limited time on Steam. From what I know, I'm quite sure this isn't a free weekend but a limited time offer to get the game for free. "Buy" it now and you get to keep it forever. Looks like Rising Storm isn't part of the deal though. This isn't of much interest to me since I have the game already, but I thought I'd let everyone here know as RO2 is a brilliant realistic shooter - perhaps my favourite multiplayer game of all time. Anyway, I think this is only for 24 hours and I don't know when it started so go get it while you can. It's worth the usual price, so now it's a steal. :)

UPDATE: Now that the free offer is up, Rising Storm is at a huge discount until Monday it seems. For anyone who recently got the core game this is a good opportunity to get the full version of the expansion pack for very little money.

#1 Bamul, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up, probably would have missed it otherwise. Is there a decent campaign to plow through, or is it just multiplayer?

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Well, there is an online campaign (the offline campaign is basically a tutorial to teach you how to play, though the AI is no match for a human opponent). The offline campaign has more historical stuff rather than an actual story. So it is basically a multiplayer game. You could say it's a lower-budget, more realistic, more intense, more teamwork reliant and overall (in my opinion) better version of Battlefield 3. But that's just a compariosn - the games are different, they just share some common features. Most maps are slightly smaller, but the gameplay is a lot more exciting due to how things work (on classic and realism modes - ignore action mode since it's a joke). In terms or how realistic it is, I'd say a hundred times more so than games like Battlefield or CoD, but significantly less than ArmA, which is why it's so great.

If you're interested, here's a link to a review I wrote of the game in 2012: http://www.gamespot.com/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad/user-reviews/2200-58666/
    The updates released since then have added many more maps, a few new weapons and very recently new vehicles to some maps in terms of completely new content. The game is even more stable now - I never get crashes anymore (though some people still do, but perhaps even less after yesterday's major update).

#3 Bamul, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
  4. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I will never get it to run the laptop but its free so why not, Rising storm is included sorta, until you buy the DLC you can only play as a rifleman, but thats pretty cool

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yep, I forgot about that. Still - if you like the game and want the full experience with the expansion pack, I recommend buying Rising Storm.

6. TotalAaron

Well i played the single player :D then immediatly uninstalled it so yeah, multiplayers fun though PPSH all the way to victory

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

I remember there was a Red Orchestra Free Weekend on steam one time. I installed it and played it. I'll be honest and say I didn't play it much, but the little impression I got from it, wasn't much. It's good of course, but I'm not really into WW2 games, and Red Orchestra is a pretty old game as well. In one of the rounds, I got 1st place on a completely full MP server, by sniping from a tower. I was really proud :p

Never the less, I've purchased Red Orchestra when it was free a day ago or two, and I'm going to install it sometime soon :)

8. TotalAaron

Just had a epic 50 player match on a trench level i love anti tank rifles :D

9. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

I play the second one with the expansion. But what I'm really looking forward too is the 'Iron Europe' expansion pack which is WW1.