Ranger mode is broken in this game.

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Oppai, May 23, 2013.

1. Oppai

Oppai Member

Not at all. Several people have agreed thus far. And there are a lot of clueless people making one-sentence responses that completely miss the point, so I call it as I see it. "lol go to cod its ezier" Yes good sir you are right, COD is easier, but even if I did go play it that still leaves Metro LL with a broken ranger mode. See what I mean about missing the point? Responding to them individually is indeed pointless, so the easiest thing to do is break things down to the most simple terms possible.

Playing it again on ranger normal, and filters do indeed seem to always add 1 minute. There were a couple that I thought added 2 minutes, but I may have just not been paying attention and picked up two.

2. Crossing

Crossing Well-Known Member

That doesn't make it a good argument.

3. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

I've reread this thread since my last reply, and I have to apologize for atleast one thing:
    You do not switch filters with G, but you do it with T, so it was not the same controls for Metro 2033 as for LL. I found this out in the first place since I wanted to look at my watch (which was binded to T on 2033), but just switched my filters. Switching filter reseted the clock also, which makes me guess one filter is ~5min.

Anyway, as far as I've gotten this thread: Some poeple wants to add more convenience by adding a option to check for bullets and so on, while others dont want to.
    I have to say I still disagree with OP since I choose the option for NOT having all those conveniences.

Also:
    What makes us easily entertained? I dont get it. It doesnt make sense at all, and have nothing to do with the conversation.
    And it's not being blindfolded. Sure I dont know how much ammo I would have at points, but when you go out of it, you have to improvise which makes you get more creative. I ran out of bullets on big Momma. How did I kill her? I used my throwing knifes. It worked with a little effort.

This is also why I like the game more with the current way it is; you get a "shortcut" on how you are supposed to explore the game since you want to find ALL the ammo you want.

This reminds me: when you buy ammo with your MGS, you can actually see how much you have. Think on that for a moment.

4. lebbers

lebbers Well-Known Member

Actually, it doesn't appear so. Having tested this extensively, there is actually no such thing as discrete filters. Instead, each filter you pickup increases the time in your global filter pool by a set amount. This global filter pool is split into 5 minute segments. You may test this by repeatedly pressing change filter and noting that your timer resets to 5 minutes more times than you have discrete filters to account for.

I really don't mean to be rude, but this isn't particularly coherent and your analysis is rather wide of the mark.

To reiterate, it's no more a matter of convenience than it is a matter of difficulty. Rather, it is a question of a wholly artificial restriction that conceals from the player information that would be readily available to the player's character; and that this actually decreases player immersion.

5. Clear Sky Stalker

Clear Sky Stalker Spartan Ranger
    Regular

there's a lot of hate going on in this thread, cant we all just get along? :)

6. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

I agree and highly dislike it. Though it's most likely my fault too :c

7. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

This. I'd rather not start any hate, but it's a ridiculous restriction that makes the game more annoying than challenging. It's not that we're worried about running out of ammo, it's that we're unable to properly gauge our preparedness and are instead left to either guess or keep an unnecessary mental tally of our ammo, which gets completely thrown off when we pick up ammo and magically have a random amount of ammo teleported into our backpack that exists in another dimension. It's both incredibly unrealistic AND unfun.

Once again, I thought we had clarified this enough, but it keeps getting brought up; this has NOTHING to do with challenge. We wouldn't be playing Ranger mode if we weren't looking for a challenge. But what was great about Metro 2033's Ranger mode is that it made the game more immersive and difficult without saddling you with pointless and ridiculous restrictions. There is no justifiable reason that we can check our backpack in populated areas but not in a tunnel we just cleared, other than the fact that it makes the game more difficult. We are not against a difficult game, we are against making it more difficult in this way. It breaks the immersion and completely discourages good inventory management by removing the ability to do so. On Ranger Normal, the number one useful thing is the fact that you can actually see how many MGR's you have left. Does that break the immersion? Nobody seems to be complaining about that, yet they completely defend the inability to check our inventory for the exact same magazines carrying different bullets.

8. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

I played 2033 on Ranger Hardcore, and the interface seemed much better. I knew how much ammunition I had left by checking my compass board. Is Artyom unable to check his ammo pouches? Must he fire his gun and then realise he has no ammo, and resort to killing the Rhino with a knife? (And yes, I did do that, and while it was extremely fun, it irritated me at the same time).

I played the whole game, and still have no idea how the filter system works. So I cheated and ran around pulling it off and putting it on to save as much air as I could. Silly. Artyom could check the amount of filters just as easily as the ammo.. oh wait. :p

9. tamalero

tamalero Well-Known Member

It would have been awesome if this game had a button to check the status of things..
    like press and hold certain button.. Artyom picks up the ammo clip/cartridge/magazine from the gun.. and checks the bullet count (and thus it displays the remaining ammo )

10. Kaze88

Kaze88 New Member

Something like this would be totally awesome. Its just too stupid to guess how many filters, ammo, clips you have. Anyone in real combat situation has to check his gear before going to firefight.

Also its funny when people are defending this as "well it says that it doesnt have hud" well yea how about the secondary weapon select hud :derp:...they couldve done that Bioshock style. choose knife and in left arm he rises his knifes or choose grenade he raises the grenade to show wich one of the secondary weapons is in use.

11. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

why use it if you are just going to complain no hud means NO HUD nothing nadda if you cannot read the fucking warnings thats your problem

12. Potarto

This. Guessing how much total ammo you have is ridiculous, I can't imagine why it would make the game more immersive for somebody.

Woah, chill out man. We're not talking about adding a HUD, we're talking about making Ranger Mode like it was in 2033; no HUD on your screen, but you can bring up a menu that shows you your inventory in real-time.

13. Play the other Ranger mode then, there are two options in the menu for a reason.

14. Potarto

Ranger normal only shows equipment and MGR's. Better than nothing, but I'd still much rather have 2033's system.

15. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Are people scared of reading text that clearly states "No hud" -_-

16. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

well, one could always keep shootin til it says click and then start running:D

17. lebbers

lebbers Well-Known Member

Like many others on this forum, I am functionally illiterate. Your posts, however, have taught me that it is fear that has clouded my judgment and that when I allow my fear to pass over and through me, I realize that my convictions are utterly without merit!

Thank you so much, a thousand times, thank you!

18. I'm sorry, this Kick-in-the-balls™®© contraption says on the tin that it will kick me in the balls when used, but when I use it, it kicks me in the balls, I think it's broken!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

The ammo cap limits on Ranger mode are ridiculous imo, makes me feel limited by the game instead of the world as in 2033

20. Isn't that fairly logical that you can't carry a metric crapton of ammunition on you at all times?