Ranger mode is broken in this game.

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Oppai, May 23, 2013.

1. Oppai

Oppai Member

I preordered, and did what in retrospect probably wasn't the best idea: did my first playthrough of the game on ranger hardcore. It was fun for a while, but the changes LL made to the controls make Ranger mode so much less fun this time around. WHY:

1. A I R. Aside from the 5:00 of your current filter on your watch, there is absolutely no way to know how much air you have left in total. The game only shows me the five minutes of my current filter, and nothing after that.

This means that on ranger, ANY filter could be your last and there is no way of knowing otherwise. It makes the long surface sequences in the second half of the game feel very rushed - not in good, intense way but rather a "I have to beat this game's stupid mechanics and broken interface that's missing crucial basic information before I die" sort of way. Why not have, just below the blue 5:00, a set of smaller orange numbers showing how much time in total is left? Or one orange number telling me how many 5:00 sequences are left?

2. Secondary weapon controls. I thought I was going to end up strangling someone on this one. I went through the first half of the game without using secondary weapons, because I had no idea how to. Finally I looked it up on Steam forums, and I almost wish I hadn't. This is possibly the most frustrating aspect of ranger mode. In 2033, grenades were just another weapon to switch through.

In LL, grenades and claymores and knives are all thrown by the same key, and you use some clumsy press-and-hold-and-drag-mouse-or-press-directional-key method for selecting which one. Problem is, the interface for knowing which one you have selected is invisible on ranger.

You have only an audio cue to go off of, and it seems broken and unreliable. I can't tell you how many times I switched weapons, heard the beep of the claymore being selected, and then went to place one only to throw a pipebomb at my feet. A lot of the time the system simply didn't work at all - press and hold, drag mouse, and nothing. Nothing at all. No sound, and the secondary weapon simply would not switch. With no feedback on which weapon I have selected on ranger, there's no way to know if the system is simply broken or if something else was happening.

A small sequence of four dots on the side of Artyom's watch, each indicating one of the four secondary weapons with the one you have selected being lit up, would have been extremely useful.

3. Use key for quicktime events? What the heck? This made no sense. During the intro to the shrimp, that one that climbs on the boat must have killed me ten times. I was mashing every button I could think of as relevant to the situation because of course, in ranger, there are no indications at all of what to do.

Finally I looked it up on Youtube and saw the "Press E!" lighting up, which of course is invisible on ranger. What the mutantloving WHAT? A freakish frenzied monster pins me to the ground and climbs on me and I have to use the open door key to get it off? My first instinct when a crazed monster climbs on me is to mash the melee key, or the secondary key to shove a grenade in its mouth, or the shoot key, not the open door and gather ammo key! (shakes head)

4. Random stupid addendum complaint: Having gotten the enlightened ending in 2033, I assumed from the very start that LL would have a hidden good ending too, so I collected the karma points in my first playthrough.

I listened to every conversation I could find, watched the whole theater show, didn't pay the strippers, played all the instruments, did nice things for people, saved Pavel's life, spared Lessnitsky, sneaked through Bridge without killing anything, and I ended up blowing up D6. The only mistake I made was during the escape from the Red HQ, I shot one of the unarmed surrender guys during a firefight. It's like they put the guy there just to ruin your karma. If that one guy prevented the good ending for me...

In Metro 2033, ranger was the most fun I could have in the game, improving it in every way. But I don't think I'll ever do another LL play on ranger. What were they thinking with it in this game? The pointless changes to the controls completely betray ranger mode. Which is doubly ridiculous since you have to actually pay for ranger mode in this game if you didn't preorder. I feel so bad for people who bought it - a $5 difficulty mode that breaks the controls and makes the game less fun.

2. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

First off:
    It's SAYS on the Ranger mode there is NO interface. What did you expect, someone holding your hand telling you what to do?
    Second:
    I always tried E when I didnt know what to do. It's logic; Im stuck with this shrimp that I cant kill whatsoever; try the USE/ACTIVATE FUNCTION button.
    Also, the enlighetened ending is there, you just have to play through it again diffrently i.e. try and actually pay the strippers, pay the homeless, dont KILL anyone, just knock them out (again, the choice is to either knock them out (E) or kill them (V). I didnt notice that until I tried the normal difficulties, which means I always knock people out when I stealthed. (YES I used E))

Mind me, but I really think this is an useless complaint since it said in the start that there is no HUD. And also from starting on it. Yes I did that too, and I had no idea what to expect. Next time, start on the normal difficulties to learn the controls and such.

P.S.
    Sorry if Im rude :/

P.P.S.
    YOur watch tells the time for ONE filter, not like in Metro 2033, all of them. So 5min is for ONE filter. Then you press G to switch them out. Same as in Metro 2033.

#2 thuner, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  3. Forkinator

Forkinator Active Member

I just wanted to say that I completely agree with you and that Ranger mode should be revamped to fix the issues you mentioned such as time left on all your filters and secondary weapon Switching because it takes away from the immersion because I don't want to have to worry if I switched to the correct secondary weapon or not. Thank you for posting this I wanted to post the same thing but you did it for me. I'm sure we are not the only ones who feels this way. I will be hoping that 4a games fix this so we can have a fun Ranger mode play through. I hope other people speak up for this issue.

#3 Forkinator, May 23, 2013
  4. Crossing

Crossing Well-Known Member

Ranger mode is fine, it's not designed to be used on your first playthrough.

E makes all the scene for QTEs, I don't know many games that aren't QTE based, that don't use the interact button. As for secondary weapons, just pay more attention. The fact that you don't know how many air filters are left is intentional, to make you hurry, and display your skill.

5. Fist-Alpha99

Fist-Alpha99 Member

I liked Ranger mode. Instead of checking your hud and thinking; "OK, I've got 42 shotgun shells, 15:21s of filter time, everything should be fine", Ranger mode forces you to make rough guesses. It adds some much needed tension and difficulty in my opinion.

6. didymos

didymos Well-Known Member

The 'Use' key has always been used for QTE. How did you not notice that in 2033? Also, all you had to do to figure this (and the grenade issue) out was go in to the options screen and look at the key bindings.

7. There is a huge ass warning when you start a new game that says you have no HUD that nobody reads. It even tells you not to play Ranger Hardcore without playing on an easier difficulty first!

THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT! It's not broken.

[​IMG]

8. Oppai

Oppai Member

It seems like you and most of the other responders either didn't read all of what I said, or completely missed all of my points.

As you should have read, I played ranger in 2033. Many times through. It was great. I know it has no interface. That's part of what made it great - in 2033. But again, as I said, in that game it made sense. If you had 42 minutes of air left, the watch said I had 42 minutes of air left. It didn't say I have 5 minutes left and leave me to guess as to the remaining 37, as Last Light does. Grenades were a weapon like any other, selected with the mouse wheel. Now you have to wrestle with some invisible interface that requires multiple key presses just to select a simple grenade.

And no, it is definitely not made obvious at all in the controls menu. All it says is weapon select. I have no idea what that means, or how it is meant to be used. This system does not work with ranger at all, though admittedly, part of the problem is my fault for playing ranger first.

As for QTE, I'm not familiar with the system. Metro is the only series I've played that featured them, and I haven't played 2033 in at least a year. The use key did not enter into my mind as a key press in a melee combat situation, but it will from now on.

I heard this defense raised and quite frankly, it's ridiculous. Not letting me know how long I have until I die of no air is not intense. It's nonsensical. Is it so hard for Artyom to check his backpack and see he has 3 filters left? He seems to know that his last filter has exactly 3:27 of air in it, so how does he not know how much he has in total?

In short, Ranger worked in 2033 because everything you needed to know was still able to be known to the player. The controls were simple, so no interface was not a problem, and information crucial to your survival was not purposely hidden from you. I could count the bullets left in my magazine by looking at it, or press the watch key to see exactly how much ammo I had left. These do not work in LL. Ranger mode is not as fun in this game, and judging by the controls, is obviously not the "way it was meant to be played."

#8 Oppai, May 23, 2013
  9. brynje

brynje Well-Known Member

I agree with OP..

It's fine that there is no HUD... but it gives no sense that you don't know how many mags you got left. You should be able to count your mags but not know how many rounds left in them for example... and count your filters.
    Also the TAB selection is bugged to hell

10. Clear Sky Stalker

Clear Sky Stalker Spartan Ranger
    Regular

this is why i use mine on consoles, less hassle with controllers. Not trying to diminish the reputation of pcs though.

11. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

you can use a controller on pc *face palms*

12. Stannis Baratheon

Stannis Baratheon Active Member

That doesn't diminish pcs in the least, you can use an xbox360 controller on pc. Its extremely easy and about 90% of games support it. I wouldn't recommend it(mouse keyboard=better) but you have that option.

aaaaand ninjad

13. lebbers

lebbers Well-Known Member

While the OP is more than a little hyperbolic, he's not entirely off point.

HUDs exist as a means of conveying abstract information in a predominantly visual medium. If 4A's intention was to enhance the immersion by removing this conceit, fantastic, but where they erred was in not making this crucial information available in any other form. Indeed, given the elaborate player character animations, I'm a little surprised we didn't at least get a basic 'look in pack' animation where you can see some visual approximation of the number of magazines/filters you have available.

As it stands, I would argue that (in certain respects) the current implementation actually decreases immersion as it reminds the player that they are unable to perform such basic but essential actions as 'look at hand to see which throwable is equipped', 'look at magazine to see how many/which types of rounds are loaded', 'look at pack to determine how many filters are left', etc...

I mean, I'm still always going to play Ranger Hardcore, but the day an SDK becomes available, I fully intend to implement at least a mag/filter counting system accessible via the journal.

14. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Now if only a warning had apperad saying to play the game through once on a easier difficulty go back to easy kid

15. Heh heh...

"I suck at this, so it's broken"

To be fair, it gives you a fair warning before you start.

16. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

This, this, this. Nothing takes me out of a game more than having to guess how much ammo I just picked up. It removes much of the interactive element of the game. Sure, it's challenging, but in a stupid way. The same way that covering up half of your screen is a unique challenge.

The #1 reason that I absolutely loved Ranger Hardcore in Metro 2033 is because while it took all of the ridiculous and distracting numbers off of your screen during a firefight, it didn't lobotomize your character and render them unable to check their backpack for ammo when you're getting ready to go charging headfirst into an entire nest full of mutant invincible demons. Hell, you could even look at the transparent magazine to see how much ammo was left. It presented a unique challenge that rewarded careful and methodical play, instead of keeping a pen and piece of paper next to you to try and keep a tally of the ammo you've used.

Last Light's Ranger Mode, on the other hand, is a stupid challenge that completely breaks the sense of immersion that they were going for. It is not a question of how difficult it is, it's how it makes the game more difficult in a way that only serves to frustrate and annoy.

I made the mistake of playing through Ranger Normal my first time through. Before I ever got to my first friendly station, I literally had no clue how much ammo I was picking up and how much I had stored. The only real challenge I faced was that my gun would spontaneously stop working, otherwise I rarely died. It wasn't that the game was more challenging, it was just that at times I walked through it really pissed off that I couldn't take 10 seconds to open up my backpack and see if I had another magazine for my AK. It defies logic and only serves to astound you.

I really do love Last Light in spite of its broken Ranger Mode, and hopefully with DLC on the horizon, we'll be getting patches. And if you're enjoying the DLC as it is, I really am happy for you. But to me (and what seems like a good portion of other people), it is frustrating and broken, and it would be incredibly hypocritical of me to support future DLC when they haven't fixed their first.

17. TotalAaron

I hate this bulshit aswell people chooseing the hardist mode in the game that has a warning saying "hey play this through on a easier mode first bro" but no everyone needs something to find wrong :mad:

maybe if the game had fireworks and neon lights flashing hard they would stop complaining

18. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

I agree with the statements stated in OP and also made by Lebbers and Potarto.

MLL handles Ranger difficulty in a very nonsensical way. The warning tell you that HUD is removed but it nowhere states you are about to play the game half-blinded. Illogical changes in MLL to way certain information is portrayed are making the game experience a lot less satisfying than it was in original Metro game.

I also want to say that limitation of 2 weapons for MLL Ranger mode is also more hurting player's experience than adding to it.
    Only 2 weapon slots mean that there is no point to modding weapons early in the game because you will be swapping them as soon as you find something new and often you swap weapon to utilize spare ammo that is already at max. Later in the game, 2 weapon slots just make the game super boring. You will settle to a "default" load out consisting of fully modded assault rifle and shotgun. This setup will not change until the end because these 2 weapon types are the most effective combo. Mods are even more boring because you will use Laser Sight, silencer and Red Dot Sight as soon as they are available.

You think difficulty is/should be derived from a fact you are not given basic, yet vital, information to play the game? You are strange..

Just to be sure, I have completed original Metro on various difficulties several times, including 2 clears on Ranger difficulty. I have completed MLL on normal difficulty and I'm near two thirds of the game on Ranger normal. I have also played MLL on Ranger hardcore until first surface mission, where I realized I cant check total amount of filters/time, at which point I have decided to stop playing on that difficulty due to how stupid the mechanics are.

I definitely hope future patch will address this non-sense with Ranger difficulties and make the game more enjoyable and immersive than frustrating and annoying.

19. TotalAaron

once again there is NO interface what so ever none this is the point of this mode if you cannot read the disclamier that there is NO interface i suggest you do not play on it

i have compleated last light on ranger hardcore it was fun not knowing anything at all makes it more so i had no problem with it i would be very dissapointed if deep silver/4a games patched this out because of a small minority

20. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

You are missing the point, I guess intentionally, that this change to Ranger difficulty was done in MLL while it was treated differently in original Metro game. People are just saying it was much better experience in the original game.
    Your argument "NO HUD" also fails on available filter time because it was shown on the watch in Metro 2033, there was no interface required to check how much time is left.

I agree that reducing HUD to minimum helps to create more immersive experience. It does not make the game more difficulty as such, if you ignore a fact you can not conveniently aim without HUD cross hair. Even this complication is removed by Laser Sights or by bypassing it via use of flash light--conveniently centered on your screen.
    Still, minimizing the HUD should not mean you completely remove any and all information about your equipment unless you make sure these information can be obtained from non-HUD sources such as wrist watch, magazine graphics, sound or other means.

These inconsistencies in Ranger difficulty modes are strange because it almost feels like this option was rushed, which is hard to believe considering it was used as an pre-order incentive and was fully implemented in Metro 2033.