Pre-Fire Academy Classes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NuclearWastE3, Aug 28, 2015.

1. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Thanks, dude! :D
    Aside from the speech, I'm nervous about my state exam. There were 150 questions (which wasn't all that bad). However, the 150 questions were divided into 4 sections: Firefighter I, Firefighter II, HazMat Awareness, and HazMat Operations. The questions for each section were all mixed into the exam, so I really had no idea which questions were for what section. There were also apparently 8 "fake dummy" questions thrown in there for statistic purposes and would not count against my grade if I got them wrong. Anyway, Fire I and II were the largest sections (having about 60 questions each). The two HazMat sections had around 15 questions each. Now, for sure, I know that I've missed 8 questions so far because I remembered which questions I had trouble with and decided to look up the answers, in the book, after the test -two of which were HazMat. I'm just very nervous right now.

Fortunately, the city I want to work in doesn't require that I pass the HazMat sections; however, having more certifications is better. I can always retake the test, once more, if I happen to fail a certain section, but then I would have to pay up some money in order to do so. I just want to see my results already, damn it!! :rant:

Cool. Well, I just made an account (hopefully it works). nuclearwaste3 is da name. Too bad skype doesn't capitalize letters.

#21 NuclearWastE3, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015
  2. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Kurwa! Today was my last day in the basic emergency medical care course. I passed!! :D
    But.....some were not so lucky :( My class was made up of 14 students (including myself) and only 6 of us successfully finished the program. The people, in my class, were also the same group of guys and one girl that I had, in my fire program, during the fall of last year. There were more of us to begin with, but about half went off, to another school, in order complete their medical certification; and, unfortunately, I do not know of their whereabouts. As for the rest of us, I'd say that we were a tight group :) Of course, I enjoyed the company, of a selected few, more than others; but, individually, I still liked the personality of everyone there.

But man, I wouldn't really know what to do if I were in their shoes. Since they failed the final exam -even if, say, they had an overall 100 grade for the course- they'ed still fail the class. They came all this way, until the very last day, to get this shite news. I'd be pissed-off for sure. They now have the option to either retake the whole entire class, sign-up for the traditional fire academy (which takes about 10-months and is absolute hell), or change their profession. It's a tight spot for sure.

As for me, I'm not completely done. My final thing to do is take the National Medical Test and pass it. Once I do (and I heard it's fairly easy) I will be certified, as a firefighter, and will be able to apply anywhere in the U.S and take the 2-month easy-peasy academy :p. I will also try to work for a private ambulance company, over the summer, as I begin submitting applications.

By the way, this was the music that played when I learned that I passed:

[YOUTUBE]vMpsQGa_hZk[/YOUTUBE]

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Fantastic news, glad to hear you got through it. Sounds like you've got a job pretty much guaranteed from here. :D

4. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Thank you, Bamul! :)
    I remember that, even a week ago, getting to where I am right now seemed like it would take much longer than what it really was. I just felt trapped in an endless sea of assignments. It feels so good to have it all done an over with. There are still a few classes I can still take to further educate myself and "rank" up, but I see those further down the line once I settle down with a department. I have the bulk done and the rest is just for fluff.

I can now take some time off to play through some games that I have had on hold for months, get through reading Metro 2034 and roadside picnic, and really get down to working on my hobo with a shotgun mod. ;)

5. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Good job man, being a firefighter is a really cool job, a uncle of mine works for the volunteer firefighter's (we do not have many actual permanent job ones)

6. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Thanks, T-Aaaron! :)
    Volunteer firefighters are just as important and skillful as permanent job ones. They encounter and deal with the same level of situations, and do all on their spare time. They also step in to support the paid departments when resources begin to thin out or too many emergencies are being put on hold. They are definitely needed and deserve much more credit than what they are probably given. And ice cream too. I heard that firefighters luv ice cream. Cops doughnuts and firefighters ice cream.....huh.

Thumbs up to your uncle, man. ;)

#26 NuclearWastE3, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  7. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I agree they do a wonderful job, they save many towns from catching fire during bush-fire season and they are a integral part of the community

8. NuclearWastE3

Regular

So I've recently started working at a private ambulance company. What makes it "private" is that its services aren't connected with the city or the fire department.in other words, it's owned by some rich guy and not the tax-payers. We rarely get calls that can be considered a real emergency. I would consider the business more like an expensive taxi service. We mainly transport people from senior homes, with disabilities, to a doctor's appointment or transfer patients from one hospital to another to get advanced care. There's always the chance of something going wrong, with the patient, during transport; but that's why there's someone (usually me) riding in the back in case something was to happen. Its an alright job and I'm only getting paid 1USD more, per hour, than someone who flips hamburger patties. At least the experience is good.

Also, I had my firefighter job interview yesterday. It was in front of 5 chief officers and I feel as if I did pretty good. I'm suppose to receive an email next week letting me know if I passed. If it goes good, I'll have one more interview to go and that will be with the fire-chief of the city.

I would like to post some pictures of the interior, of the ambulances, I've ridden in, but it appears as if I am unable to upload any with my phone :/

#28 NuclearWastE3, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2016