[poll] Optional FOV (PC)

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Ezkaton, May 14, 2013.

?

Is FOV important to you, as a PC gamer?

1. Yes, I suffer due to low FOV.

60.0%
  2. I'm easy either way.

5.0%
  3. I'm not bothered in the slightest.

35.0%
  1. Ezkaton

Ezkaton New Member

Howdy.
    Since some (or many) of us suffer from dizziness due to low FOV, and in some cases headaches... I'm putting up a poll in hope that the devs either give us some feedback, or answers as to why the FOV is locked in Metro: Last Light, whereas in Metro 2033 we were able to edit it via the config file.

Or on the extreme spectrum of hope - be given the ability to change it in Last Light to suit our personal needs, even at the sake of potential visual oddities (as seen in 2033 at the very high end of vertical FOVs).

Feel free to comment regarding this issue, and hopefully there's no banter between advocates and... 'others'. Degenerating the thread into pointless back and forth between us will do nothing to help the cause.

Anyway, please vote in the poll and well... let's hope the developers 'hear' us, so to speak.
    --------

Personally, I don't think I'll be able to play Last Light until I am able to play for more than 15 minutes without feeling dizzy.
    It really detracts from the whole experience in a major way.
    I couldn't complete Metro 2033 until ranger mode was implemented, coupled with my discovery of the ability to edit the FOV to my needs.
    Afterwards however, I thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish with no issues. :)

#1 Ezkaton, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
  2. sacrilege

sacrilege New Member

I don want the low FOV. What the hell were the devs thinking? People get physically sick by this and they lock it down? Disgraceful.

Even if they want to provide a more claustrophobic experience, there is no reason why the fov couldn't be somewhat adjusted.

Here's hoping we get a mod/hack so that modders can fix what the devs don't bother with

3. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

I know that 4A want to create a claustrophobic atmosphere by limiting the FOV, but it really is needed regardless. Some people just feel nauseous without it and having no FOV slider is as bad as FPS not having colour blind options.

If 4A want the game to appeal to a wide range of people then they need to put it in, as I know 2 people who have not bought the game because of this.

4. droopyRO

droopyRO New Member

I for one would love to see the devs explain this.
    What are they going to say ? same FOV to balance multiplayer ? takes too much time to implement an option ? "deal with it" ?
    FOV should be an option on every PC game !

5. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

okay, good thing an sdk is coming soon.

6. En Ex

En Ex New Member

Bi50N actually addressed this on NeoGAF. Since I am only allowed to post links once I reach 15 posts (lol what), here is the link broken up:

http://
    www.
    neogaf.
    com/
    forum/
    showthread.php?p=57661890#post57661890

7. Ezkaton

Ezkaton New Member

Excellent.

I just saw on the Metro Facebook page too:

"Metro - The Game: We're working with AMD for driver support. FOV is being looked into."

8. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. You may not be able to post links, but I can't join the Gaf as it doesn't accept free email accounts. :eek:hwell:

9. Crossing

Crossing Well-Known Member

I couldn't deal with the first metro's FOV, and this one is just as bad, if not worse. It's going to be painful until the patch.

10. Ezkaton

Ezkaton New Member

Thanks to 4A for hearing the players and adding an FOV option. :)

The only time I've seen any visual oddities after changing it to 75 is being able to see inside your arms when holding a pistol, and I saw inside the arms once during a cutscene... neither of which I really care about. But otherwise everything has been flawless.

Excellent. :)

11. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

it has been done in the last patch, that I couldn't find, so I added the line r_base_fov 65, or whatever number you want, into the user.cfg file, and it seems to work fine.

12. Latias42

Latias42 Member

With 65 do you get any of the visual oddities the devs said was a possibility?

13. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

none whatsoever. so far so good.