Playing competetive or casual

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by p4lse, Oct 24, 2015.

1. p4lse

p4lse Active Member
    Regular

Hey everyone, in some MMORPG's like DotA2,LOL,etc you could either choose to play the game as a competitive player and chose to compete in tournaments with other players or choose to play the game in a casual manner just for fun. Both has its perks. What kind of a gamer are you?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I used to be a competitive player in League of Legends (not in LCS but I competed in a lot of tournaments) but that's about it. I didn't get good enough on other games to be able to play professionally.

3. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am way casual in this regard. When I play a game, be it an MMO or a MOBA game, I play it to relax, have tons of fun and generally unwind. I really hate competitive gameplay and all the stress that it brings. Gaming, in general, should be about fun and relaxation, rather then a second job, in my opinion.

4. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I play a lot of games, but never enough to where I would consider myself competitive at them. In something like DOTA 2, I've played in a few very small tournaments with some friends, but it was always just for fun and we never expected to far or for it to be anything serious.

5. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer playing both modes. If I feel there is not enough challenge then I play in the competitive mode.

6. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm a casual gamer. I don't really have that much leisure time to play ranked because it's takes up a lot of mental focus and at the end of the day I'm very tired and I just want to have fun and kill champions. Sometimes I troll, I play shooter games but when I play LoL most of the time I just go for the normal games rather than ranked during weekdays. I play maybe one to two ranked games on the weekend but I make sure I win.

7. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I used to be a hardcore gamer. Not just for MMORPG. I started out as a FPS gamer, and spent hours every day playing games such as Quake 2, Counter-strike, etc. It was MMORPG truly got me addicted to video games. At some point I was spending all day long playing, and woke up without knowing if it was during the day or during the night.

However, the days of such addiction is long gone. I am glad that I haven't found a new game which would addict me that much... mainly due to all the new games aren't so much different from the games I have played almost 10 years ago.

8. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Casual. I don't spend enough time in the games to be competitive with those who do.

9. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not a fan of playing competitive. Having to dedicate so much time to stay at a certain ranking is just TOO much work for something that's supposed to be fun and distracting. Time-consuming, and usually leads to a burn-out on the game. So I try not to do any competitive stuff (I've given up a few games that have relied too heavily on it) and just try to have fun!

10. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm a casual gamer when it comes to these formats of games. If it were a game like COD then I'm pushed more into a competitive mode.

11. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

A lot of MMORPGs are quite hardcore. That is if you want to keep pace with most other players, you have to spend tons of time playing. It is the old grind system which require tons of repetitive tasks to level up and gain items. It is the matter of time before you get bored. Hardcore players who play competitive will burn out quicker. While Casual player might stay in the game for longer in the term of months, years, but total game play time in term of hours they might not be player longer at all.

There is one more thing. When the players you hang out with are all leveled up much quicker than you, and geared up better than you. Eventually you will no longer be able to hang out with them other than in maybe "peace zone" such as in towns and cities.

12. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer being casual. I tried my hand at being competitive but I was always stuck with anal-retentive players that felt they had the right to talk down to someone if they didn't play a certain way or if they don't follow orders to the letter because they self-appointed themselves as leaders or whatever. I have plenty of anal-retentive people where I work at, I don't need to deal with it when I just want to relax and play my game.

13. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Extremely casual. I don't like competitive play because honestly I am not very good at it and it takes the fun out of the game for me. Being angry at a video game puts it beyond the point where it's fun anymore. At least to me. I also don't want to have to rework my whole strategy because of a patch or update and I find reading those notes incredibly boring.

14. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Meh, I personally don't like the competitive side of games. I find it kills the whole fun you should inherently fun, but that's just my opinion. Most people make a living out of games so who am I to judge their personal preferences? I'd rather be casual personally.

15. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am not very good at twitch type games, so do not play them competiively. I prefer strategy games for that.

16. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I used to be really competitive on a lot of MMO games, but I really can't find the time or just can't be bothered to do it now. I've learned to enjoy the leisurely experience of casual gaming and I doubt I'll ever be able to go back compete hard core.

17. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've gone casual over the years. Don't have the time or drive anymore like I used to in the past. Sure it was nice being one of the best on multiple servers and getting invites cross servers by other players, ect but in the end it was becoming a second full time job. I was hardcore raiding 5-6 nights a week with a casual raid with a friend tossed in. Time's a precious commodity now

18. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member
    Regular

Time is the limiting factor for me, and it's why I choose to stay casual. Now that I'm working, it's hard justifying playing one game competitively, with all the stress that it brings while instead I can play plenty of other, more relaxing games.

19. Bannon

Bannon Active Member
    Regular

I'm a casual player since I like taking things at a chill pace. Taking in the setting and just exploring about or following the story through quests and objectives. I've steered clear of competitive games mostly because of the player environment which can easily become toxic because of the slightest screw-ups.

20. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've been playing MMORPGs and RPGs lately, so it's always casual for the most part,
    with some competitiveness mixed in during PVP.