Phobias

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by jbeavis100, Aug 16, 2014.

1. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

I almost got bitten by a black snake when I was visiting my dad in florida when I was young and I've been scared of them ever since, games that feature them drive me up the wall!!

Do you guys have any phobia's like that?

2. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

I actually am a germaphobe. I wash my hands quite frequently especially after shaking people's hands or touching money. If I do not wash them I feel like my hands are contaminated.

3. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

well since Phobias are defined as 'irrational' fear I'd have to say I have no phobias, my fears are very rational... a bullet to the head, sharks, anything that could bite and kill you

4. wulfman

Mine is definitely irrational LMAO. I change my clothes when I come from outside , wash hands, the works. I've actually been diagnosed too.

5. wulfman

Anyway these days I am better but the social interaction I have is from video games more than people.

6. wulfman

And I especially get addicted to games like World of Warcraft and DarkFall.

7. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm scared of being alone on an existential level. Mortality creeps up like a snake coiling around my head and it latches onto my heart. I've been having a lot of heartburns and I'm afraid that it's psychological.

8. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member
    Regular

Leeches and Needles, I can't stand em both;basically anything that takes my blood is a no-no

9. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am afraid of dark. I don't know if i have watched too much horror movies or something. However, I live in the city and the street lights are always on so I feel secure here but when I am in the countryside in the place of my parents I don't feel like going outside in the night since it is completely dark and silent in there.

10. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

I guess my phobia is being bitten by a dog. I try to stay away from stray dogs since I think they're going to bite me and infect me with rabies. Then I imagine me being injected with a needle right onto their bite. Yikes!!!

11. RumbarBrook

RumbarBrook Active Member
    Regular

For me, it's heights. I find it funny since I've started to travel by plane more often. I think since it's such an unbelievable height it doesn't bother me. On the other hand, I get a bit anxious if I'm in a skyscraper or on top of a steep mountain.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I hate spiders and heights, I don't even know why I'm scared of either of those but I lose my nerve when put in a situation with a spider or a high building.

13. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have things I dislike and am scared of but not to the point where I'd consider them phobias. I've come across some people who really did have phobias and when I compare my reaction to theirs it really pales in comparison even though I consider my levels to be already fairly high. It makes me feel for them to be honest because most of the time these phobias really aren't rational and I can see how much they want to cure it but can't.

14. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

Roaches, roaches, roaches. God, I can't stand roaches. Especially the big ones. I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with the lovely American cockroach, but I absolutely cannot stand those things. I once awoke in the middle of the night to find one crawling under my pajama legs. Ugh, absolutely vile. I wasn't able to sleep for days.

Was it just a plain old huge black snake? If so those are just harmless rat snakes, they're not poisonous. I can definitely understand disliking snakes, even though where I live we don't have too many poisonous ones.

15. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

Same here, I'm so scared of heights that I almost paralyze when I have to climb something taller than a few meters.

16. daredevil

Regular

Oh man, roaches, how can I forget about them? Ugh, it's not just their appearance, it's their smell. Even feet away I can smell their...well, smell. Ugh. That must be terrifying to find one in your pyjama. Unfortunately, I have caught two or three trying to sleep in my bed with me for the last couple of years. I immediately changed the sheets and poured alcohol in the sides of my bed. Hahahahaha!

17. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh yes, they are sooo disgusting. Whenever I see one, the struggle is real, since I'm the one how must kill them. Jeez!!

daredevil likes this.
  18. daredevil

Regular

Ahahaha! I don't even kill them. I just stomp my foot so they go away. Lol. Or I call somebody else to kill them.

19. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

Ours don't stink too bad, but they're big enough so that you can hear them scuttling up and down the walls, and they're nocturnal. They're also classified as one of the fastest insects in the world. So basically, no sleep for me during the summer months, which is when they're most active. Just the thought of them makes my skin crawl.

I absolutely cannot stand the thought of having a roach loose in the same room with me. They're the reason I'm so obsessive about keeping all my stuff clean. If I find one in my room, I'll tear the whole place apart until it's dead.

daredevil likes this.
  20. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member
    Regular

Spiders and small crowds. Spiders are a fairly common phobia but for me I hate talking groups of around 4-12 people. I dont mind large crowds or public speaking because of the sheer number I know that not everyone is going to pay attention to me so its quite reassuring. However any number in between 4 and 12 terrify me as I know for the most part they are listening and cant get away with not paying attention as easily as if they were in a large crowd.

lol in summary I think I would rather speak publicly to an entire theater than to my seven roommates in uni