Overwatch open beta is live! May 5-9

Discussion in 'Overwatch (MOBA)' started by Patrickz, May 5, 2016.

1. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

Check out Blizzard's blog for more details, I'm not allowed to post links >.>

Finally, no more ONLYWATCH. I'll be playing this like crazy while I can!

2. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

This looks like it's going to be a big game. I wonder how far along the beta is going to be. Not sure which console I'm going to use.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I thought about giving it a try... then I realised that the game will be $40 anyway so I'll not be buying it even if I like it. So... why try it and then realise "ohh hey it was pretty fun but I'll skip it because of the price?" Or should I say "because of the monetization system. I'm fine with paying $40 for a good game, what I'm not fine with is paying $40 for the game and then being slapped in the face with microtransactions, dlc's, etc.

4. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

Been playing the game since the early stages but also don't consider paying the $40. Still I would say the game was worth the time spent, it's a lot of fun if you can play it with a couple of friends, the loot cranes feel mostly rewarding (unless you get a bunch of voice lines)

I wish they end up giving into a free to play model after the initial rush of early purchases is over.

5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think they realized that the microtransaction system just was not viable enough for a Team Fortress clone. I was watching, but maybe cosmetic stuff for pvp based games is wearing thin. Everything has a life-span, and maybe players are just getting to realize they can play as a freebie player. I really think B2P with cosmetic micros are the way to go for these type of games, although $40 is a bit much. I don´t think it will have a huge success because it honestly isn´t that much better than Team Fortress 2.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I haven't actually played yet so I'm reserving opinion for the moment. I do plan to check it out later today however. I'm just waiting in the slow ass hospital DSL while it downloads. I don't know if it will be worth $40 to be honest.

7. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't find the game to be that unique in the genre either to justify the pricetag, in Europe it's something around the 60 Euro mark too. I don't think Blizzard will ever back out on their monetization choices though, even if it means the game will die just like Starcraft 2, they will just try and milk it for as long as possible which is a shame. Here's hoping after the initial rush if the newcomers population drops significantly they will have a discount.

8. Nytegeek

Regular

Starcraft II may have lost some steam, but it isn't dead. That is a huge exaggeration of the state of things.

9. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

Pretty much a solid game. On my old PC, it doesn't really have any problems. Apart from bits of frame rate drops here and there and some stutters in the audio, it was able to play the game quite good. My specs are 750 Ti, i5-4670k, 8 GB DDR3 RAM.

Gameplay was very engaging. I was able to find games within seconds to minutes. I guess my only complaint is that the maps are a bit too small and the characters move a bit slow.

Still, it's a great game and I have already decided to buy it once it launches.

10. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

The price makes me a bit hesitant as well. It's not my favorite genre so I'm not hyped enough to pay full price for it. Hopefully they will slash the price at some point and maybe by then I will buy it and give it a try.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have a price tag on the game though, I just hate it when there are MANY price tags and when buying the game you don't even know how much you are actually going to pay.

If you pay for the game, then everything should be included in that price.
    If the game is free, then I understand paying for dlc's, microtransactions, monthly fee... which ever way the company chooses.

Now we are looking at paying for the game, paying for microtransactions and we don't even know if the dlc's will be free or not. (probably not)

12. Nytegeek

Regular

I agree about the small maps. It is really annoying.

13. Nytegeek

Regular

You could always try a third party vendor after a while. Just be careful of which one you deal with. Some operate with stolen keys and other shady practices. I can't list them here but there are a few decent ones to deal with.

14. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

This beta was really good. It definitely achieved its goal of getting me interested in the game. I've gone and preordered it since I played it and I doubt I'll regret it.

15. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I read that one of their big concerns early in development was the players would ´hole up´ and you would have these long stalemates. It was a problem in TF2, where players would prefer to find a defensive position rather than actually hunt.

I would imagine the small maps were a way to combat that.

16. dazzled

dazzled Member
    Regular

I wonder how competitive will be. KOTH seems to be the preferred game mode in tf2 for competitive. I would be interested to see if Blizzard stays with that or do their rolling game mode like they do in the "casual" mode.

17. Nytegeek

Regular

I never really thought about that, but I can see how that may be the case. The maps aren't a deal breaker for me, just a minor annoyance.