Overwatch Hopes

Discussion in 'Overwatch (MOBA)' started by Touchstone, May 14, 2015.

1. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

Currently the closed beta for Overwatch is set to be up by the end of this year.

I'm curious though, what do you hope this game will eventually become? Most of us want this title to become successful, like Blizzard's other titles. How do wish this game to end up like? For example, gameplay-wise, mechanics-wise, meta-wise, etc.

I'm just hoping for a solid and fun FPS experience with Blizzard's trademark levels of polish.

2. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

It worries me a lot that the game is TF2 on steroids. I also hope they don't take the f2p route, I see it as too problematic. Set a price and keep if anything they can offer expansions like the current model they have with their other franchises (excluding hearthstone and heroes of the storm).

3. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Overwatch certainly looks really cool. The question is, will there be a market for it or not. And that will determine the level of success of the game. But all in all, I`m really curious about it and can`t wait to try it out.

4. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

Considering how many Blizzard fans there are, I can see this game having at least a medium to large amount of success. Unless Blizzard completely botches the release, I don't see this game failing for quite a while. Blizzard still has that trademark polish.

5. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree, they have the polish, although even WoW slowly starts to fail. But their fanbase is gigantic, so Overwatch will have success for at least 6 months, I would think. And even then, they can always go F2P with microtransactions.

6. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I think that is what Blizzards plan is. They are just making ´spiritual successors´ to other games and then using their Blizzard PR to hype the game to get a lot of players. In other words, they are making highly polished clones of other successful games.

7. TurningCoffee

TurningCoffee Member

I think that even if Blizzard manages the botch the release of Overwatch they have the means to pump money into it and garner a lot of interest. They have a focus on making the game a competetive esport and definitely have the means to host events that will attract attention. The amount of attention the game has already too from not only Blizzard fans, but MOBA and FPS fans is pretty insane considering the game is presumably a ways away from being released.

8. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

When I opened my Battle.net I saw Overwatch on the Games Tab. But you can't play it or download it yet but I'm really excited to play it. You can also sign up for Beta.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the game will be somewhere near the graphics and gameplay of Unreal Tournament 4, which would be really awesome. I think it'll be pretty popular, and if Blizzard market it well then it can really be a hit.

10. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with this to a certain extent, existing Blizzard fans are bound to try the game, but I have to wonder how many will stick with it in the long term. It's a genre Blizzard hasn't made a game in before, and unlike something like Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm, it's not utilizing other, more popular IP's to help gain popularity. That said, I'm sure the game will be good, and maintain a decent, healthy userbase.

11. heatblast92

heatblast92 Member
    Regular

Despite having no prior experience in the competitive multiplayer FPS genre, I may give Overwatch a try, only because all the playable characters in it look so vibrant, not to mention diverse (e.g. Winston the gorilla tank).

Do hope the game's gonna be f2p like Hearthstone, though not with as much grind as the latter; and as its business model, Blizzard could maybe sell players various cosmetics for every character, much like League of Legends. I'm probably going to buy one for Tracer, as she just looks so good (appearance- and gameplay-wise).

12. Sophia3

Sophia3 Member

excited to play this game.

13. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm hoping they keep adding new heroes and maps, as many as possible. I think having lots of these additions can keep the game very fresh and will keep everyone playing for a very long time.

14. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm hoping for more game-modes, a competitive ladder (which TF2 is lacking) would help to set it apart from other FPS MOBA games.

15. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

This would be so good but they probably will just add these extra modes down the line if I'm not mistaken. Usually developers tend to focus mostly on the main game but I agree they should really add a lot of other different game modes in the future because I am also a fan of those and I even prefer them to the main modes sometimes.

16. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

The sooner, the better. TF2 has been out for a decade and still there's not competitive mode. I think it's a factor behind the game's decline.

17. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I did not know this as I don't play tf2 myself but I have experience in other MOBAs and I agree that if that is lacking then it's probably a big contributor to the decline. I feel those games that encourage ranking and competition have longer lifespans and it's probably why even rocket league is promoting it.

18. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

My biggest hope for this game is that it has a great following. I have noticed that even if the game seems to have a large following, those players can be the worst part of the game. I'm really hoping overwatch doesn't go that route.

19. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I never got into TF2 but I'm planning on playing this one. If you don't mind, please expound more on why you think this game being tf2 on steroids would be unfavorable as well as why you think it being f2p would be worrying.

20. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I hope it's a good enough for me to give it any play time. I'd like to take a break from LoL and have another game to play. Hopefully LoL can fill that gap.