Overwatch beta "is what will go live at launch"

Discussion in 'Overwatch (MOBA)' started by erook7878, May 7, 2016.

1. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's interesting to hear that the beta is pretty much the final version. Game director Jeff Kaplan made it clear that the beta released recently won't be much different than the full release. It is pretty much just to clear out any bugs.

2. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thank you for this update! I'm glad they have decided to give us a sneak preview of the real game we will buy. I have also read that there's a few other post-launch content they're drumming up for us. I'm excited for that and hoping for newer skins as well.

I've also read that Competitive Play isn't going to be available at launch. Right now, they're still working out some feedbacks that they have gotten from the beta for the Competitive Play. But they said that after this, it's going to be added into the game as well.

Do you think they should add more modes in the game as well? I've been thinking about this for a while now and it would be cool if we can get other modes besides the two modes we have now.

3. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The game is pretty smooth as it is now, I do think it is wise of them to not continually add new content to the game right up until launch.. there should be a cooling down phase where they say ´this is all the content that will be available at launch, now we are going to tighten it up´.. I´ve seen other games where they keep trying to squeeze in new stuff right up until launch, and then it launches with a bunch of broken stuff.

4. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm still confident the $40 price tag will go down after the initial rush of purchases, so I'm waiting on that. The game itself has enough content for it to launch with (including some skins that have not yet been shown during the betas) so I don't think it would affect or cause a riot if they didn't come out with new characters on release day.

5. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's great and I think that's a good sign of how well made the game is because they are confident enough to release the product they have made so far without many major changes. I'm sure it will turn out great.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Judging by the beta I wouldn't go around calling it great. It isn't all that unique or fun. It isn't terrible but it isn't great either.

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, that really is my opinion also. It is a decent game. But I think this is the new mantra of Blizzzard. Take an already established game, remake it with minor changes, polish it and then market it to all hell using the brand name of Blizzard and Activision and cross-market it with all their other games.

Anyone who thinks Overwatch is ´great´ probably has never heard of Team Fortress. Basically the same game with some minor changes.

8. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I really enjoyed the beta - Much more than I should of, but selling it at 40$ is a hard sell for me. There is, in my opinion, a distinct lack of modes and maps for the rather hefty pricepoint. I met end up buying it still, because a lot of my friends are, but either way I can't help but wish there was more to it.

9. Nytegeek

Regular

The beta obviously isn't a beta. It's a free pass for a few days designed to promote sales at launch. Beta my ass.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Stress test beta? I think ´promo weekend´ sounds more desperate than just calling it a beta, but that is essentially what it is. I got an email from Blizzard announcing it and it sounded more like a promo than actual testing.

Nytegeek likes this.
  11. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

And? Even other, less complete, betas from other games are made to promote sales. At least Blizzard's being honest here by saying that. It's not all days that you get to play a complete game for an entire week for free with no limitations.

Personally I'm very happy with what they've got and I'll buy it for sure when it launches because I just want to play it more.

12. ADE001

ADE001 Member
    Regular

I played it over the free 'beta' weekend but it didn't grab me like other Blizzard games have done in the past. I don't see Overwatch becoming their new top franchise. It is a very solid game however, something that not many publishers can say these days. Look at all the problems EA and Ubisoft have with their big games. I will probably wait until it is priced down a little before I purchase it though.

13. Nytegeek

Regular

Good for you, but calling it a beta is not honest. A real beta actually so some value and sorts out game problems before launch. A real beta is longer than a week and so much more than an advertising stunt.

14. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Stress test? Testing the matchmaking system with an amount of player a magnitude higher than previously done.

I personally think we are 10 years past the point where we can call a company dishonest for using the term beta for what is mainly a promotion anyway. Basically every online game does the same thing. If a company does not do it, it is almost marketing and stress test negligence.

15. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

The price tag is a little bit high if what's in the beta is all there is to offer at the moment. That being said, I'm still getting it day 1 and I'm sure it'll be worth the money as they add more stuff.

16. dazzled

dazzled Member
    Regular

I'm ok with a price tag on an FPS game because it helps combat cheaters. After binging on beta the 2 times I got it I know it will be worth it when it comes to playtime wise. Most people buy $60 games for a weekend and toss them aside to never play them again. I can see myself easily playing Overwatch for the next couple years.

I'm hoping they will add the competitive mode with launch or shortly after. I think the game will feel really empty without it. If I recall correctly they have confirmed it will be in eventually but just no time when. Hearthstone launched without a ranked mode and I hope they learned from that a bit.