Quantcast

Overrated series

Discussion in 'Fable' started by Zombie Lad, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Zombie Lad

Zombie Lad Well-Known Member

I am a hater of the Fable franchise, not because they're bad games or anything like that, it's because they never seemed to get more creative with the games. I loved Fable and I have a somewhat liking to the second game, but the third annoyed me for some reason. Maybe the characters didn't appeal to me, or being king, but not really doing much as king.

Do you guys agree or disagree?

2. BattleAxe

BattleAxe Well-Known Member

I thought the series was really good, a lot different from the usual types of games I play. The graphics and setting was also a bit out of the norm for me, but I can say I enjoyed it. Do you play RPG's a lot?

3. Nickey22

Nickey22 Active Member

I thought the Fable series was fantastic. The story, the setting, the characters, everything seemed fun for me. Now I know the third game was hated by some, but I know many people who really enjoyed it and some who even say it's better then the first two. Now a game you should really hate is Fable: The Journey for kinect.

If you thought Kinect was a gimmick, this game will only prove it. Actually I think every game for kinect will prove that. haha!

4. -Kian-

-Kian- Active Member

I really loved the first game, its game play was fantastic. Sadly, I didn't play the second.
    But the third didn't feel right with me.

5. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I have only played the 1st and 2nd one they were good games I really enjoyed the 1st one I beat the game at least 3 times twice on Xbox and once on the PC.

6. kelemenur

kelemenur Active Member

Fable 1 was fantastic in its own rights, especially with the expansion. I've never got around to playing 2, as I don't have any consoles. 3 never got me. It's too much of a hand holding simulator, so to speak.

7. andy103

andy103 Active Member

I thought the series was really great and unique. Even the first game really went above and beyond with the concept. I thought the second one was a great sequel too. The only one I didn't like was the third because it seemed like the whole tone of the game changed.

8. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

I liked the first one and the second one was somewhat decent. Haven't played the third one but the progression suggests it will be terrible. You are somewhat right about the fact that they took a concept and then just repeated it for the second game. But I don't think there's anything essentially wrong with that. COD has been the same game over and over for 10 years now.

9. John Edison

John Edison Active Member

I actually like the fable series! I understand where you are coming from however. I loved the first. I must have played it 20 times.

The second was great, but it never had the same effect (in comparison to the first). The third was interesting too, but still it felt like something was missing. I do genuinely love the series, but first will always be the best. Interestingly enough, it is probably the only Xbox game I can still play without cringing at the original graphics.

As for overrated games, I think that Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty are incredibly overrated. They do not appeal to me one bit.

10. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

100% agreed. I loved Fable: The Lost Chapters (actionly I have reinstalled it few days ago), and it was an awesome game, but Fable 2 and 3 were a complete disappointment (especially 3). After playing the game again, I realised that Skyrim is much closer to what Fable 3 should have been. IDK if there will ever be a Fable 4, but hopefully they will not do the same mistakes as with Fable 3.

11. WorkingGamer

WorkingGamer Member

Going to have to side with the people that dislike the Fable series because I do not see a whole lot of good in the franchise either. I mean they were not terrible games but really kind of brought on the whole "Savior or Devil" style choices when it came to options there really was no middle ground. Also Peter overhyped each of the games way more by saying there would be features that would make a tide turning game but never actually brought about said features. Also I kind of see each of his games getting worse and worse, the new one, Godus, is a prime example of early access lying garbage. If you look at the reviews of users on Steam they are overwhelmingly thumbs down.

12. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

The series isn't that overrated... in fact, it almost seems underrated because it seems most people dislike it, most likely because of Molyneux' constant over-promising and hype. My enjoyment for the first Fable might have been partially because I didn't pay attention to its hype before I played it!

The series sure declined, though. The first game was pretty great, 2nd was nice but 3rd is so bad...

13. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

It's not overrated. But it's not exactly underrated either. Fable 1 and 2 had a great premise. But the problem is Molyneux promised the world when promoting it and when the games didn't exactly live up to those promises people made note of it.

Then Fable 3 and that Kinect game brought the series down a bit.

But who knows, it can rise up to relevancy again with a new GOOD game.

14. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

I don't think it's overrated. Fable has never been a huge blockbuster game that received near perfect review scores. I think the reception is fairly appropriate and around where it should be. I highly enjoyed Fable 1.

15. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Fable games aren't as good as people make them out to be. It's the crap that Peter Molyneux spews out everytime that made the Fable games look epic when they are only average at best. He makes the games sound as though they are the Jurassic Park or Avatar of gaming, a breakthrough for the genre.

16. AnotherEmpty

AnotherEmpty Member

I've always been pleasantly surprised at how un-cringeworthy the original graphics are of Fable 1, 2 and 3. Weirdly, I never noticed the graphics originally but whereas the CoD's have dated so much (to the point where they look absolutely absurd!) the Fable graphics have aged gracefully. All the series have and while I hate to reduce any game to graphics, I can't help but feel that they've all aged equally well so I like them equally well. The graphics represent an underlying assumption about what the games were (and still are!) trying to do. That never changed.

17. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I was disappointed with the Fable games. Someone recommended it after I told them what I was looking for, but found Fable to be too linear and barely any customization. I like the idea of the game taking a particular moral path, but the uniqueness stops there.

18. averycagle9595

averycagle9595 Active Member

Hardcore gamers all seem to agree that while the first Fable was good, the series never really went anywhere or reached the heights of that first game ever again.

19. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

To be fair that is true with a lot of great games that the 1st one being the best some games that come to mind Max Payne, Kingdom Hearts, and Monster Hunter just to name a few.

20. averycagle9595

averycagle9595 Active Member

That is true, and some would even say that for Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, etc. I guess it all boils down to opinion. Personally, words like "underrated" and "overrated" I tend to stay away from because it's all subjective.