Original Neverwinter Game

Discussion in 'Neverwinter' started by JoshSmith100, Aug 9, 2013.

1. JoshSmith100

JoshSmith100 Active Member
    Regular

Have any of you guys actually played the first NeverWinter Game?I was a huge fan of the game and have played alot of hours online on it. I used to be a part of a pretty serious guild and enjoyed it very much.

2. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

I have yes, but it was a short period of time. I wasn't really into it too much, but I was younger and immature. I should look into it again. :) What would you say is the best thing about the game? The guilds sound pretty cool.

Morgan.

3. Thordar

Thordar Active Member

I never played the original game, only this. I also meant to read the R A Salvatore books that were to be released in conjunction but gaming seems to take up too much of my reading time.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The first Neverwinter game actually game out in the early 90s or late 80s, but I'm assuming you're talking about the early 2000s game. What mods have you played for it?

5. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I never played the original Neverwinter game, back then I was young and I enjoyed games like Sonic.

6. courageoflions

courageoflions Well-Known Member

Are we talking about Neverwinter Nights or some other game? Because I always wanted to play the shit out of that game but I never had a computer (at the time) that could run it.

7. Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon Member

I never played the original Neverwinter but I'd be interested in checking it out. I only got into mmos fairly recently although I've been gaming in general for a long time.

8. courageoflions

courageoflions Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an answer regarding what "Neverwinter" is? Is it Neverwinter nights?

9. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I did play the original Neverwinter Nights. It was introduced to me by one of my best friend who was also my housemate at the time. He played through the whole singleplay campaign before I bought the game. I wasn't really into the singleplay at the time, and majority of the time I spent were inside those persistent worlds on the internet.

One of the servers had 72 slots and it actually had 3 servers connected to each other which you can switch through in-game portals. The whole world on that server was huge since the owner let many people send him custom made content. Of course he reviewed and made changes to them according to his rules before integrated them into his server. I enjoyed my time there for many months. There were just so many places to go. The NPCs there were extremely hard to deal with. So solo was not recommended. In fact the server introduce a system that you gain more XP per person if you are in a party. We also had to relay on heavy buffs in order to go through majority of the dungeons.

I still remember one of the dungeons were "Rats". Those rats spawned in groups in each room, and every one of them could beat a Balrog in melee. You could summon a balrog, and only its death magic and several other spells could do some damage... once its spells were spent, it's gonna die in a few seconds lol. Tough PvE but extremely fun.

I was unable to find similar fun servers in NWN2.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

If we are talking about Neverwinter Nights, then yes. I loved it! It was one of the earliest RPGs that I played properly! Ohh the memories.

11. whoisduley

whoisduley Member

Haha I loved Neverwinter Nights back in the day! I was too young to appreciate it entirely though. I always gave up part of the way through Luskan, even though I started the game at least 3 times. I never really got into the online part either even though I hear that was the best part of the game. Still it's one of the best first thirds of a game that I've ever played!

12. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I guess you have missed a lot lol... since you never got into online part of NWN.
    The key is, you need to find a worthy server (too late now, years too late lol). Not all online servers were created equal. Anyone can load up a campaign and make it a "server". Only some more serious players create custom made worlds with the toolset came with the game and host it on a dedicated server for all to enjoy. Only a handful of the servers were truly great. like the one I enjoyed most of my time on, it's a world made by dozens of players rather than just the server owner. We get new dungeons and new areas all the time along with new items. Months after I started playing on it, I was still unable to find my way around in most places cos the world was so big there with tons of places to go to, and tons of items to collect.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I sank so many hours into the original Neverwinter Nights. I still own it along with its expansion packs. The best things is, that the community of the game is still active today, and you can find thousands of story modules on the net. It is definitely worth playing even in 2014. And once you finish with them, you can buy Neverwinter Nights 2 dirt cheap, and have even more to do. The second part is even better then the original.

14. jaygee

jaygee Active Member

I played the original game and I loved it. I've still got the big ol' box it came in somewhere around here too. I wasn't too crazy about the online version.

15. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Never really played Neverwinter nights myself, I've always wanted to though..

16. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

The Neverwinter Nights 2 might have good campaign, but its online servers are no where near the original. The first Neverwinter Nights game does not require any downloading before joining any server to play. Neverwinter Nights 2 is quite different due to its more complex... and you have to go to the server's web site to download a large file before be able to play on it. That alone made the first NWN online servers more popular since it was foolproof lol.

17. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I have played the Neverwinter and Neverwinter 2. Both of the are really amazing games. I cant say the same about Neverwinter MMORPG that released recently.

18. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I think the original one is alright. It was so much different than how it is now but I guess they change it for the better of the game, I can see the player base is kind of large, but perhaps not by a lot or enough when it comes to dungeons. After all, I would say I preferred the previous one. Dungeons and Dragons was good too.

19. bavinnie

bavinnie Active Member

If you are referring to neverwinter nights, I played both 1 and 2 - and some people might kill me for this one but I actually like neverwinter nights 2 a lot more than the first one haha the toolset it came with so you could make your own stuff was REALLY cool, the NWN2 vault was full of awesome one shot campaigns made by the community

20. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I guess I understand why you like the second one more, but after all, once you finish the quests and all that's left is daily stuff it becomes extremely boring, you can't even kill anybody in PVP unless you pay or spend years playing and doing daily stuff which is like a boring routine.