Okay, why should I start this game? Anyone care to convince me?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' started by dansmith, Mar 24, 2014.

1. dansmith

dansmith Active Member

I don't mean to sound cliche-ish here, but why should I play this game? I like MMORPG games like WOW and EQII, so why would I like this game? I know it has a large following and a few of my friends I go to school with enjoy it, so I'd like to be convinced to play it by all of you folks that obviously know ALOT more about it than I do. Thanks in advance for any input you folks can give me. :)

2. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

First of all, SWTOR reminds me of a single player experience mashed into a massive multiplayer environment. If you enjoy an in-depth story arc, spanning over the classes and races, as well as beautiful ambiance, then definitely give this game a go. However, don't expect it to capture you for more than half a year. I would say if you get a premium token, within 3 months, you would have 'finished' the game enough to drop it and move on.

It has a lot going for it, but it may not necessarily hold you to it. Having friends who play it with you may make the experience more enjoyable though.

gamergurl likes this.
  3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well for one, you can play for free so why not try it? It's a bit more story driven than most MMORPGs so if you enjoy the star wars universe I think you're going to love it.

4. dansmith

dansmith Active Member

I appreciate the input you folks have given me on this game. I think I'll give it a try, especially since it's free to play, that's a better price than wow. I know some people that I know have actually quit wow completely to play that game so that's why I decided to ask this question. Again, thanks for the replies guys.

5. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

For me, this game was flat out unplayable without RL friends. It just couldn't hold my interest for any sort of extended period of time. As F2P, it might make it more bearable, but there's just so many better games out there, that I don't find it worth going back to.

6. gamergurl

gamergurl Active Member

Thanks for the info on this game, I have been considering playing it and this gives me enough information to make a decision. I think I'll give it a try also. I'm a little bugged about the potential of finishing the game in such a short period of time, but I love story driven, aesthetic games, so I'll give it a go too.

7. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Well-Known Member

i can't find it in myself to play this game. i loved the first two games more than any other series in existence. too bad they made a paywall and sub fee that completely ruined the series.

8. Mike_Check

Mike_Check Member

A lot of good input here. I did hear quite a few people complain about there not being much to it after a certain point.... but isn't that all mmorpgs? That's why I still like my single player rpgs. Original story lines, new characters and abilities, side quests....after 50-100 hours, throw it away, time for the next. But don't get me wrong, nothings better then that feeling of teaming up with 10 friends to take down a big boss creature. Those types of battles are just epic.

9. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

You should give the game a try just because of the story. Unlike in many other MMOs, I actually enjoy questing in SWTOR. The voice acting is spot on, and very enjoyable!

Not to mentions it's F2P!!

10. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Member

I played this for a little while and it was fun from what I can remember. It took me a little bit to get the lightsaber (I was running around with a regular sword for a bit) but once I did the game really took off. I got stuck at a certain part of the game and I just didn't keep going after that. I don't know if that'll convince you or not, but it was just my experience with the game.

11. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's free and the most important part of the game is honestly the storyline and that's not charged. You have to pay to have access to dungeons and end game stuff, but honestly I preferred the storymode and didn't care much for the other aspects of the game. The storylines from Empire side is worth the play. I personally consider it more as a standalone game than an MMO.

12. Stoyanow

Stoyanow Member

I can't be sure if you should, actually. I have mixed feelings about this game. It got boring rather quickly and it weighs too much on my old HD. I suggest the best thing you could do is just download it & give a try.

13. Lucas

Lucas Active Member
    Regular

That's right, but even if it was Star Wars Universe, it bored me after 5/6 map (while following the missions). Same missions, same characters, same dialogues. Also, I think this game is P4W (pay for win), as you can buy a lot of features like speed, more hp, etc...

14. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

First of all it's Star Wars, the whole film series should already convince you and the fandom surrounding it is devoted so the books are selling like hotcakes. Diverse maps? check. Interplanetary wars? check. Hot saber wielding alien girls? check. You just have to explore man.

15. pgaff831

pgaff831 New Member

If you like Star Wars and anything FREE, then that's all the reason right there! It's a fun Star Wars online game and lets you relive the movies and books in a more personal sense. You get to play through the maps and places, choose your characters and fight your least favorite characters in the series, and experience life on a planet other than Earth! It's definitely work a shot. Can't go wrong with free, right? If you like it, keep playing! If not, no harm done.

16. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

The story line approach can be fun if you can play someplace without a lot of distraction. It has the free to play option which can be good just to try it out and see if you like it. There are rewards and systems in place to encourage play with others so I would suggest a subscription if you like the game.

17. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

Do you like Star Wars? If yes, it's well worth trying out at the very least. It's a much more story-centric experience, and the game does a great job at developing the Star Wars universe and the game does a great job at developing the world. From a gameplay perspective, it doesn't do anything that unique or interesting, but it is a solid enough WoW clone, and well... the game is free, so the only thing you really have to lose is time.

18. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

It isn't a "WoW Clone" and it is ridiculous to call it one. Any functionality duplicated isn't even original to WoW.

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

The game is really, really fun especially if you're a fan of Star Wars. You pratically play in the Star Wars universe which is pretty cool and the game is also free. I know you probably decided because this thread is 1 and a half years old, but maybe there are others who are still thinking about joining the game.

Nytegeek likes this.
  20. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's a good BioWare RPG game at its core, but built on clumsy-at-times old engine and archaic mechanics. If the second part doesn't scare you, you're in for a treat.