Not my cup of tea

Discussion in 'Lord of the Rings' started by Primalclaws1974, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Primalclaws1974

Primalclaws1974 Well-Known Member

I tried this game a couple years after it came out (around 2007). It just seemed too much of a World of Warcraft clone. The camera angles, the size of the character, as well as the movement all reflected WoW. I didn't even see much differences in the environments. I had left WoW awhile before this because it was boring. I knew that a clone wasn't going to be any better. I think mainly fans of the franchise play this.

2. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

LOTRO was the first MMO I ever played. The game pretty much is a copy of WoW, with not as impressive graphics. The main reason I stuck with it so long is because I love LOTR lore.

3. greensat

greensat Active Member

The lore is alright, but without the graphics part being really well, I just kind of lose interest in it, thinking about all the other games with better graphics than this game just withering and waiting for me to play them.

4. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

The graphics do get old very quick. Especially when you know there's so much better out there!

5. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's all right as an MMO, but there are far better options out there, as many have pointed out.

6. Stoyanow

Stoyanow Member

Back when I was playing it I really could not notice any graphical flaws. If anything, I was impressed by how well it ran on my wooden computer and at the same time having decent graphics.

7. Usamaars888

Usamaars888 Member
    Regular

There definitely are flaws, such as the similarities to WOW. however, I've been playing for a while and I always find reasons to come back to it. The story of the game is great, the community is amazing and there is plenty of content that makes the game worth playing through multiple times.

8. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

Really? That makes me want to play it! I'd love to find a good WoW clone that is like the original game used to be. I also like the LotR lore. I've been looking for a new game since becoming disenchanted with World of Warcraft. Maybe I should give this one a try.

Is it pay to win though? I hate that.

What's the community like?

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the game can be considered quite interesting at first sight, but then it gets very annoying (and the not so good graphics help a lot in that). I'd rather watch the movies. :p

10. thisnthat

Regular

Such as? What don't you like about LotR, the graphics, the story, etc?

Yeah, I'm definitely interested LotR. Your description pushed me in that direction.

I care much more about fun gameplay and a good community than I do about the graphics.

11. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I tried to play an early Lord of the Rings came on my gamecube but couldn't really get into it either and eventually gave up on it.

12. thisnthat

Regular

Can you tell me more about the annoying parts? Is the game play bad? Is it too easy or too hard? Is it boring? Does it have an artificial difficulty that makes it frustrating? I'm really curious.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

The game - in general - is not so interesting because things - at least the most significant ones - take a long time to happen. Not to mention the graphics that are kind of careless.

As for the difficulty, I don't find a difficult game (I would say the level is average).

14. thisnthat

Regular

Ah, I think I see what you mean. It sounds like it's a bit grindy. That's not really surprising if they have a cash shop. They hope you'll buy stuff instead of grinding it out.

Is it pay to win though?

Graphics don't bother me so much if the game play is really good.