Quantcast

New VS. Classic?

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Eva, Sep 26, 2013.

?

New or Classic Pokemon?

1. Classic!

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. New!

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. I enjoy both equally.

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Eva

Eva Active Member

Do you find yourself leaning more towards classic Pokemon games, like Red, Blue and Crystal, or are you a fan of the newer ones? The only part I find myself preferring about the newer games are the updated graphics. Essentially, they all feel like different versions of the same game to me, though. I wish they would shake up the Pokemon universe entirely. Maybe create an open-world Pokemon game for the Wii, or something.

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I prefer the classic's myself just for the fact that their were less Pokémon and I knew about them now ever since Black came out I have been lost in the dark with all new types of Pokémon.

3. ZackBanana

ZackBanana Member

I agree with RMCMage. I don't like the direction the newer games are headed. Too many Pokémon, and the graphics are getting a bit too 3D lately. It may look prettier, but it's getting a bit out of hand in my opinion. There's a certain charm to the simple graphics of the originals.
    I like the original games more because I know what I'm doing in them. Plus it's a lot easier to "catch 'em all." Maybe they'll release another remake like they did with Firered. I really had fun with that one. A guy can hope, right?

4. James

James Member

Classics really I always found they had the better gameplay, the graphics haven't improved or went worse which is quite good but the classics were amazing because of how old school they were and the new just seem to updated if you get what i mean.

5. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

The classic 2D Pokemon games would always have a place in my heart. But damn, have you seen the new Pokemon game for the 3DS? It looks so bad ass! The cell shaded graphics look pretty!

6. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I have to say new simply because they eased up on the TM's and allowed them to be reused, I used to stress about it all the time and not anymore.
    Now if only they got rid of HM's entirely...

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

I haven't even tried the new ones. I did love the old ones (I had red) and sometimes I still get the urge to play it.

8. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

Well some of the changes they made in the new games are really quite good which makes playing them with those annoying abominations passing off as Pokemon all the more annoying. Love the classic pokemon, so I guess I'll stick with the classics.

9. Oakster

The new Pokemon aren't that bad, that's just the nostalgia talking, when you look at the first generaiton you see just as many problems as there are with the new ones.
    Geodude is just a rock, Grimer is just a blob and Voltorb is just a ball that flips colors when it evolves.
    There are good new pokes now, just like there are good old ones.

Yube likes this.
  10. SpiralArchitect

Nah. I was still a kid when the newer pokemon games started coming out, so I don't have any nostalgic connection to the classic 150. The thing is that the designs on those older pokemon felt like some effort went into them. The newer ones seemed almost factory produced with ugly designs. I mean even the cooler one among the new pokemon have some horrendous designs. Sure there are some good ones too but in terms of sheer number the original 150 is where the cream is at.

11. Oakster

I think that's a given, as the overall numbers increase, so does the number of bad ones.
    But for example, this new generation has a LOT of great new Pokémon. (they only added 69 new ones so they seem to have focused more on each one)
    I agree with you that second and third gen were terrible, but after that it has kept improving.

12. SpiralArchitect

Well the second and the third generation soured me on them enough for me to not try the latest ones. I'll probably check them out but I doubt I'll find them very good.

13. Mameshiba

Mameshiba Member

I've played through every game so far, but none of us will ever feel the same as we did when we first picked up Blue, Red or Yellow. I mean, I was cool with Gold and Silver, but it just seems like by now they're just not trying any more. I mean the creators seem to be just getting away with anthropomorphising inanimate objects half the time!

14. SpiralArchitect

15. Yube

Yube New Member

I might be one of the few in here, but I absolutely love the new games!
    Every single pokèmon looks like was chosen and worked on, until it became perfect. I don't think I can name any that failed in what it should have been!
    The new mechanics are very appealing and the graphics are wonderful! They aren't gorgeus, that's for sure, but they still retain that "pokèmon" feel that I love about the games.
    maybe it's because I don't feel any nostaliga, buy my vote goes 100% for the new!

16. Oakster

What generation are you refering to when you mean new?
    The new one is great but the fifth (Black&White) had quite a few duds in my opinion :)

17. ddrmario123

ddrmario123 Member

I will always enjoy the classics, they just seem more original and cool compared to the newer Pokemon out there.

18. xdratx1

xdratx1 Member

Pokemon X and Y just ruined the whole thing, its now some fancy 3D game but it was better when it was a classic old-school 2D tiled game. Might be my opinion but I'd rather prefer the versions like diamond and pearl.

19. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

My main issue is with the art-style of the newer games. Newer pokemon look stranger and stranger with every game, whereas the originals all looked awesome! The whole 3D graphics thing introduced in the last generation was basically the last straw, and now I feel alienated from the pokemon series whenever I see the newer versions.

20. Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon Member

I'm not really partial to one over the other. The earlier games hold more nostalgia for me, but the newer ones offer ideas and tactics that weren't available in the first games. My favorite region will always be Johto and knowing that doesn't stop me from enjoying X&Y. There are Pokemon I adore and despise in each and every region and that's just fine.