New Heroes Always Being Overpowered

Discussion in 'Heroes of the Storm' started by crimsonghost747, May 5, 2016.

1. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't even think Blizzard hides the fact that they do it at this point. People know what is going on. That said, I feel like Blizzard does an actual decent job of keeping things balanced.

2. Sworden

Sworden Well-Known Member
    Regular

While I don't quite feel that Blizzard releases OP heroes for the sake of people buying them right off the bat, I do feel that there is a slight difference in terms of win rate and stronger heroes based on their price. For example, Jaina, Kael'Thas are high skill high damaging heroes, yet you need to accumulate a large amount of gold before you can play them.

Then again, you have heroes like Muradin and Malfurion which are low gold, but still completely viable to play even in ranked.

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's how it works though, when a new hero gets introduced. It seems like a balanced idea from creation, but in reality, people would use the hero in ways they did not foresee, and that's why they have to balance out the hero in the next update. It's a pretty common thing, even in Dota 2, where when there's a new hero, it's definitely imbalanced, either it is too weak or too overpowered. It gets straightened out after a few patches, so don't worry.

4. Sworden

Sworden Well-Known Member
    Regular

What I really like about Dota 2's system is that a hero isn't put into ranked (captain's) play until they are completely ready for it. For example, Earth Spirit, even though he came out ages ago, took a really long time to be placed into the captain's draft, meaning he was worked on and tweaked until valve really felt ready.

I mean even then he came out super strong, that's just how his mechanics work, but you get the point.

And yeah, you can only do so much internal testing. It's when a game is released to the masses that you really get all the bugs and kinks worked out.

5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

But in most cases, balance is never ending. There is always a very big butterfly affect where if one ability is nerfed, it magically makes some other ability in another class strong. In almost every pvp game, there are top players who look at every adjustment and try to see the way to exploit that change in a different character.

6. ADE001

ADE001 Member
    Regular

Yep, I agree. It's an ongoing process. Even if the soon to be released Medivh and Chromie are released perfectly balanced by themselves, they will still unbalance the current meta. Especially Medivh can mix things up quite a bit. He improves other heroes, some will scale better with his abilities than others making somewhat weaker heroes viable again. It's an interesting process, but it sure got a lot better when they started doing frequent minor balance tweaks not too long ago.

7. Gray

Gray Member
    Regular

It always seems worse when it's an assassin. I mean, you could tell with Kharazim too I think. But then, an OP assassin is also generally easier to spot than an OP hero of another class simply because its effects are more obvious.

As for balance being tricky...well, of course, but I don't remember a new hero having had to be powered up as opposed to nerfed. Erring by excess still looks bad, so of course it's going to look like a money-making scheme.

8. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think they probably opt to have the hero overpowered rather than underpowered. It's easier to nerf a hero than it is to make them stronger and keep things balanced.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's the same in League of Legends, it's hard to check if a hero is overpowered or not based on your ideas, you have to let the masses test and see how your players feel about the hero. That's why nothing is good the first try.

10. Gray

Gray Member
    Regular

True, but with a competitive game it's always gonna be trickier I guess, since you'll always have min-maxers taking advantage of the early advantage to climb the ladder or just get some easy wins for the heck of it.

Maybe blizzard should consider barring new heroes from Ranked for a couple of weeks - get things straightened out first. That would certainly lower suspicions, at least, if nothing else.

11. meganisonfire

meganisonfire Member
    Regular

I think that it is normal for them to tone down powerful characters. I think they do this to try to make the game as fair as possible. I think that is what they do when they release these patches. The game would get boring without having something like this happening.

12. nuekboi

nuekboi Member
    Regular

Thats why I'm glad Overwatch is not free to play. Making a game F2P with buyable heroes encourages this kind of shady game balancing and its not something we should be okay with in our games

Gray likes this.
  13. Gray

Gray Member
    Regular

That's a good point actually. It boils down to the same a with most mobile games. I end up hoping I could just buy the damn thing instead of having to work around the stupid energy limits and weird other ways to try to get micro-transactions.

Games could have an option to make a once-ever purchase to get rid of these mechanics, and keep the "free with micro-transactions" option going for those who prefer it.

14. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member
    Regular

The developers really need to deeply concentrate on the game. They need to do a good job.

15. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, you are right. Buyable heroes encourages this kind of shady balancing.

16. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

It never even occurred to me that they could be doing this on purpose but now that you mention it I suppose it does make sense to do it so people would buy them. I don't mind as long as it's not too much that it ruins the game and also eventually they will need to balance it anyway.

17. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

How are the new heroes this time? I haven't had the time to even launch the game for over two weeks.

18. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Not much substance there. I think that point has been made pretty clearly already. Can you elaborate some maybe?

19. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member
    Regular

You really can't say that they are 'overpowered'. Well, they always try to add interesting features to the game and that is why we need to appreciate it instead of calling it 'overpowered.

20. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I have two problems with your statement. First, it is redundant. It has already been said in other replies. Second, it is reductive. You didn't elaborate or explain yourself very well.