My impressions

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Starac, May 19, 2013.

1. Starac

Starac New Member

This game is better then over-hyped Bioshock Infinite in every possible way. Every element!

One thing that i have problem with is human AI. It should be more aggressive so that it really forces you to use stealth. Something like first FEAR AI. This deepens that survival concept.

Great job.

2. N3xus

N3xus Well-Known Member

Agreed, i don't really know what's so good about BioShock Infinite, i found the gameplay boring.

3. Divair

Divair Active Member

Gameplay was never Bioshock's strength. People respected the Bioshock games for their story or atmosphere.

4. The Gusten

The Gusten Well-Known Member

I also found the gameplay a bit boring.

5. Chimera Knight

Chimera Knight Well-Known Member

I like both games. Bioshock is good for different reasons, the story was fantastic.

6. Starac

Starac New Member

Actually story in Bioshock Infinite is so nonsensical and poorly presented!

Here is good post from my friend:

7. Chimera Knight

Well, that is a matter of opinion. I thought the story made as much sense as is possible considering the subject matter.

8. EbonKnight

EbonKnight Member

Why all the fanboyism and subjectivity? Bioshock Infinite may be a little derivative (third game with vigors and weapons gameplay, similar story concept) but that's actually explained in the story and makes sense (and also why it's also called bioshock even though it appears at first to not be connected to the first two games). Also, the AI is a lot less incompetent than in Metro LL, partly because stealth isn't really an option anyway (which is better than a broken stealth like in LL sadly..speaking of "gameiness" why do all the enemies in LL conveniently turn their backs on the action for easy knockouts, but only AFTER their exposition?).

Both games are, although flawed, utterly fantastic and represent pretty much the best FPS-es to come out since Half Life and Deus Ex. So why bother comparing, when we can simply conclude 2013 has been an amazing year for FPS-es?

#8 EbonKnight, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
  9. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Did you register just to complain? you fanboy!

10. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

I think Bioshock Infinite and Metro: LL has their own cons and pros. Why bother comparing the two games when one is a Steampunk FPS and the other one is a horror-survival FPS?
    I like both games, even though Metro: LL has more of a replay value than Bioshock Inifnite does.

11. Starac

Starac New Member

The game is trying to be smart and serious using racism, American exceptionalism, etc. But it just throws pieces of history into your face.

On the other side it's so childish with wending machines selling guns and upgrades just for you!? Does this really fit into the game!!! Searching through garbage for food that heals!? And you can find ammo in a ****ing picnic basket just placed for you. Who the hell puts ammo in the picnic basket!?
    AI is terrible. Game is mindless run and gun!

Some of this nonsense should be forbidden to put in games. It's an insult to intelligence.

And you can't find this nonsense in Metro.

It's not fanboyism. I talk about facts. And i'm actually Stalker fan, not Metro.

Actually Bioshock as FPS totally suck. Deus Ex is great RPG. First Half Life was great. And Stalker rules them all!

12. XKaan

XKaan Active Member

i LOVE the Metro games - I'm doing a second playthrough of LL this week!

I would have to agree that both games had strong points, but Bioshock never "immersed" me the way LL or 2033 did. This is a bold statement, but I'm confident in saying that the atmosphere and immersion from this game is the best I have seen since I played HL2 back in 2004. Yeah, I said it...

Possible Spoilers Below:

I have a beefy rig that allows me to play at 2560x1440 with everything except SSAA maxed. Having said that, the "daylight" chapter when you first enter the swamp literally blew me away! The fog, setting, creatures going in and out of the water, the music.... everything came together into an unforgettable experience. Truly awesome!

One of the most tense moments I've had in gaming was in Last Light. When you are in the catacombs waiting for the elevator thing to drop down you get attacked by multiple mutants. I literally had to make use of every throwing knife I had to survive since I was low on ammo. (Ranger Hardcore) Survival horror at its finest!

13. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

Then I'd recommend you to play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series if you havent done that. The atmosphere there is, to be fair, AMAZING.

14. XKaan

XKaan Active Member

Yeah I hear you! I played part of the first but I think I stopped playing it to play something else. you have just motivated me to go back and play all of them! I'm on it!

15. Chimera Knight

It uses history as a backdrop, however, I never felt like it was trying to ram it down my throat. Sure finding resources in the trash, etc. isn't realistic and may take you out of the immersion in the world, but doesn't directly have anything to do with the story, those are gameplay mechanics. You prefer Metro, among other games, over Bioshock. Nothing wrong with that. But not everyone feels the same as you and there's nothing wrong with that either.

16. Defected

Defected Well-Known Member

One thing I hated about bioshock was the tones against the Constitution and those who are based 100% Constitutionalism are some how crazy lunatics . I lost massive respect for that developer because in this day and age freedom is hard to come by thanks to world banks and government corruption . I don't know how anyone could be democrat or republican since both parties progress in the same only one party walks slower to that goal .

Russians and Germans come here only to be shocked to witness this nation turning into a communist police state . They ran from suppression only to realize the Constitution that gave freedom to become great is under attack by media / movies / politicians .

Sorry about the rant .

17. Jeriko

Jeriko New Member

I agree with thuner, two completely different games.. but in Metro, one thing that really grinds my gears is.. the damn filters. They limit your exploration to.. zero. Unless you want to run the same scenario over and over, so you can memorize the path. Just my two cents.

18. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I had 20 minutes left in my ranger hardcore playthrough and i was exploring heaps

19. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Exploration usually rewards you with more resources from hidden caches, which tend to include filters.

20. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac Active Member

I would say the problem is that stealth is far too easy to use. You're too invisible in shadows, and completely silent while moving crouched.

Unfortunately this also means even if you blow stealth, if you're in a dark spot far away, it's pretty easy to take them out with a scoped weapon.

So while I agree with you that open combat isn't nearly as hard as 2033, they went even wimpier on stealth.

Then they went ultra hardcore on the combat with some of the DLC, almost as if to say sorry to those whom wanted a tougher shooter game.

#20 Frag Maniac, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014