Music - What you listen to when gaming.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by Csydora, Apr 12, 2012.

1. drkn335

drkn335 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge metal fan and so when I listen to music when gaming (which isn't always) it always has to be really 'badass' hardcore tunes that reflect what I'm doing. So say I'm on a mission to kill this huge boss, I will listen to a really heavy tune which will mimic that. Sometimes when my character has a storyline and it just walking to places I will play soft, sad music that reflects that storyline.

2. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

I usually don't play anything while gaming but on occasions when I do its usually metal, the fast paced kind to be even more specific. It definitely makes the whole experience slightly more exciting.

3. sunkinship

sunkinship Member

I listen to whatever I usually listen to, which is Hard Rock, some Metal, some Pop-Rock music...basically everything really. As far as specifics go, I love to listen to old school Linkin Park, some Paramore, Trivium, and Panic! at The Disco.

4. kimjongchill

kimjongchill Active Member

I either just listen to some sort of ambient electronic music or Shoegaze. I don't like to listen to anything I have to invest much mental power in so I can concentrate on the game I'm playing.
    But if I'm playing a MMORPG and just doing mindless, repetitive tasks, I'll listen to a podcast most of the time.

5. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Definitely electronic stuff here. Dubstep and DnB are my jams when I am gaming! Helps keep me focused and on top of my game! I also really like rock and epic music! :)

6. courageoflions

courageoflions Well-Known Member

Two Steps from Hell for most things, as I've been addicted to their music for a couple of years now. I listen to occasional electronica-type stuff but dramatic orchestra is where it's at for me.

7. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

Ha ha, I listen to Blind Guardian too :) Also, I like techno and electro music as it don't have lyrics to distract me from playing.

8. brandondnguyen90

brandondnguyen90 Active Member

When I play games such as Perfect World, Gunbound and other online games that involves more doing quests/missions and such, I like to listen to soft, mellow music. Now when it comes to games such as League of Legends/WoW/GW etc, then I would definitely have to say Dubstep is the best way to go. Preferably female vocal dubstep songs. Did I mention Dubstep + Ellie Goulding = GODLIKE? =D

9. Psybe

Psybe Well-Known Member

I never listen to music while I game. It's never been my thing. I like to hear the game, otherwise I play worse for some reason.

10. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't see how anyone can concentrate when playing a game that requires a lot of attention especially listening to Rap or Metal music.

11. kellykr09

kellykr09 Active Member

Honestly, the games I play have background music. I like listening to them because it helps me concentrate on the game. It's the final touch for taking me out completely off the real world.

12. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I usually only turn on music when I am grinding on an MMO I personally like all types of music except Rap, Metal, and Country.

13. AnotherEmpty

AnotherEmpty Member

I love some more relaxed music. There is nothing like the contrast between blowing up some game (Xbox, PC or whatever) with some tranquil music going on in the background. It also helps with the jitters for games like Dead Space and even BioShock. Soothing music makes the whole aim, shoot, dodge and duck process more easy for me.

14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister Member

I usually just listen to the soundtracks of whatever game I'm playing. If I'm really focused on what I'm doing, I like to minimize any distractions. If I'm just playing casually, I tend to play 80's music or metal if I want to get pumped up before PvP.

Lately I've developed a habit of beatboxing if I'm just messing around and having fun. Adds a twist of silliness to things. :p

15. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Games have very good soundtracks and I usually just let the soundtrack play in the background. If I play something competitive, like Battlefield 4, I might fire up some fast electro tunes on YouTube, though.

16. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I don't listen to custom soundtracks or songs from my library when I play games. I feel that devs have incorporated soundtracks that fit with the game's setting. Playing something else ruins the immersion for me because it feels out of place. I think it's the best to leave everything as it is when gaming.

17. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

^This. I like to listen to the music or soundtrack that the game I am playing has to offer. Most games, particularly RPGs, have nice music that adds to the memorable experience of playing the game. There is actually a contest in a recent convention I attended where you need to guess from which game the music they are going to play, and when you hear the music people go like "Oh this is the town music from *insert game title*" or "Oh I remember now, this is the background music of the battle sequence of *insert game title".

18. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

If I am raiding, in a dungeon or doing PvP, I can't listen to music. It's too distracting, especially when I rely on sound queues in PvP. When I am questing and gathering materials, I normally put on atmospheric trance, opera or something similar.

19. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I basicly listen to what is in my playlist ans occasionally I keep my Spotify on to listen new music whilst gaming.

20. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

An instrumental music of an anime or games that I have played. But sometimes I don't listen so I can concentrate to the game.