Music - What you listen to when gaming.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by Csydora, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Csydora

Csydora Member

Hey all, thought I'd hunt around and see what other gamers listen to when they are immersed in the environment of an MMO. Are you the type who tries to use music that sets a specific mood to play? Personally I listen to a lot of metal music when PvPing, but a lot of softer, lyricless music when doing pve to concentrate.

Machine Head and Blind Guardian reign supreme. What about you?

2. pepperlizard

pepperlizard |,,|, Metal Head ,|,,|

3. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

I don't really like to listen to music while I game, I like to tends to distract me and I appricate most game sound tracks. When I do I like to turn the in game music off and listen to some Necrophagist or Origin in the background. Nothing like technical death metal to stimulate the gaming mind. \m/

4. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Active Member

I mostly don't listen to music or anything else than the soundtack of a game when I play a game.

5. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

I mainly listen to rock, but when I'm gaming hip hop always seems to work better. I guess it's more up beat and less depressing! I do like pop punk and that's usually pretty good to game to :)

6. casiolol

casiolol Well-Known Member

Lately, I have been listening to my youtube favorites playlist with headphones. I tend to listen to amped up, fast pace music along with some hip hop and electronic. I favor the following bands: Thursday, One Day As A Lion, Deftones, Crystal Castles and At The Drive In.

7. -Kian-

-Kian- Active Member

It depends, if I play a game which I played for a long time with a repeating soundtrack I might start Youtube or something and listen to some playlist(full with different genres).
    But if it's a game I hardly play or if it has changing and good music, I just listen to its background music.

8. GetFresh

GetFresh Member

This all depends on the type of game I play. If i'm playing a game that requires most of my concentration I tend not to listen to music since it's more of a distraction. However, if i'm playing a more relaxed game i'll usually blast some playlist that i've previously made. The songs I usually listen are a mix of different genres, as long as it's pleasing to my ears I can listen to it.

9. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1 Active Member

Instrumental music, so I don't start singing a long and losing concentration. :)

10. iShootRocks

iShootRocks Member

Well I usually just listen to the in game music and the game sounds. I like to hear what I'm doing and not just see it. Besides, some of the music is pretty incredible depending on what game you're playing.

11. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I listen to the game music most of it is quite enjoyable the only time I mute the audio is if I am doing a let's play on YouTube and I am talking so I don't have any music.

12. NatureSun

NatureSun Well-Known Member

I usually just like enjoying the game's soundtrack. Nowadays most of the games have really great soundtracks and I really like them.

It also creates the atmosphere, so whenever I hear a similar song or something I really remember the game.

13. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Normally just the game's own soundtrack. If I don't like it then in some cases I might switch it off and just play something random from my winamp.

14. admatha

admatha Member

A lot of games these days do have great soundtracks - although sometimes if it's long enough it gets a bit repetitive. If given the choice I tend to make my own soundtracks to go along with what I'm doing. So for instance if I'm indulging in some PVP or mass slaughter for farming, I like to have something loud and aggressive playing in the background. If I'm travelling it might be something more adventure-sounding. If that makes any sense! Actually some of my favorite music for gaming has become a mix of Epic Score, Automachine and X-Ray Dog because it's so flexible to the situation.

15. pxyc

pxyc Member

Well, if it's an FPS game, especially a game like Counter Strike, I won't listen to anything. Hearing gunshots and footsteps are extremely important when playing an FPS, because you can hear where the enemy is. However, other games that don't require you to be aware of your surroundings as much, I listen to anything that really gets me pumped, like some rock. Sometimes I like to slow it down and play something slightly more chill, but usually rock is my gaming music if I do have any music on at all.

16. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Very true also in more difficult games were you need to concentrate music can be your own worst enemy.

17. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member
    Regular

It really depends, I don't have a go-to genre when it comes to music and games.

Most of the time, I'll just open the radio [rock-oriented] to listen to some good song and some propaganda along with it. Some other times, when I want to really try hard on a game, I just have the sounds of the game enabled no music.

But when I was playing Ranked Battlegrounds at wow, I would always listen to black metal.

18. ChristosR

ChristosR Active Member

I usually listen to ol' good rock n' roll when playing video games, it keeps me pumped!

19. pxyc

pxyc Member

Yeah, definitely. When I'm trying to concentrate on something, it's hard not to focus more on the music, and then I usually end up dying or whatever in the game. It's almost as bad as someone screaming at you on the mic when you're the last one alive in a round of Counter Strike. Probably one of the most annoying things ever.

20. Annetteb

Annetteb Member

I usually don't listen to music when I'm gaming. It all depends on the game I am playing. If I like the music then I will listen to the game music, but if I don't like it I will put on some Disturbed and listen to them. Their music has always been my favorite.