Quantcast

Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Civilization VI' started by Belovedad, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Belovedad

Belovedad Well-Known Member Regular

Are you looking forward to the multiplayer mode? I have never really liked it as it took forever to complete games. I have read that they will be looking into how they can reduce the time taken for games to be completed. Hopefully they revamp it and make it more interesting.

2. roguefox

roguefox Member Regular

I am looking forward to trying it out to see any changes they've made, but I've never really preferred multiplayer over singleplayer. I think it's the waiting for others that makes it so unappealing :(

Sad Puppy likes this.
  3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

They had a multiplayer mode in Civ 3 too, if I recall correctly. But the thing with turn based strategy games though, is that it would take TWICE the amount of time waiting your turn, compared to playing all by yourself. I mean, sure, it's more fun, but for people with very little patience, I don't think this would be for them.

4. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

Civ 2 was the first one with multiplayer option, although it was added only in a later, "Gold" edition. Civ 3 had MP when you installed the "Play the World" expansion pack, and Civ 4 was the first to come with MP mode from the very beginning. Most people still prefer playing single, but this is a feature people take for granted nowadays. Duel size maps are actually quite fun to play IMO

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

If they can fix multiplayer mode I will most likely hop in on the hype train, I always loved playing Civilization online but games took ages to finish, it was annoying.

6. Sad Puppy

Try playing on smallest maps, in Civ 4 to 5 it's quite manageable and doesn't take forever. I did play Cvi 2 in multiplayer a bit, but the games were too slow, and nowadays it's hard to find anybody playing it.

7. Sparks

Sparks Member Regular

I'm kind of hoping for them to add some cool new features to multiplayer in terms of objectives and game types, possibly some modes that don't require as much of a time commitment. For example, maybe one that starts in a certain age and has a narrow choice of victory conditions, taking place on a certain style of terrain. Just an idea.

Vladimir Logos likes this.
  8. YaBoyJoey

YaBoyJoey Member Regular

I, too, was not a fan of multiplayer until I played in a LAN party-esque setting with my friends. The vibe is pretty similar to monopoly, in the sense that it can destroy friendships. I always like adding one bot on the hardest difficulty just to keep things interesting, and to keep some of the heat spread around. I'm definitely interested to see what's to come for multiplayer, and how different it will be from previous games.

9. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member Regular

I also agree with you and I also don't think it will be for the people with very little patience.

10. gonemorp

Yes, you are right. Along with the multiplayer mode, we also need some additional features. I hope they would do so.

11. gonemorp

Many of my friends still play it despite the fact that is too slow. I think it's an awesome game.

12. Vladimir Logos

Vladimir Logos Member Regular

I hated the Multiplayer for the reasons others have already mentioned. Aaaaand I had some connection issues in the past...which is a different story :p. I don't think I will ever like MP mode, for the same reason I dislike blitz chess. That is simply not it. You could limit the MP games to 15 seconds per move at the start of the game and then introduce extra seconds per some progressive formula (the longer the game lasts, the more complex it becomes, the more time you need to finalize a turn). There could be something like 'saved seconds' - if you play all your moves in under 50% of the time allowed to take a turn, you get to save half of the time left for your next move (or something like that).

Like I said, that is simply not it. It would make the game more dynamic and competitive (perfect for MP), but it change 'the feel'.

Sad Puppy likes this.
  13. Sad Puppy

Very interesting ideas, and I thnik they could be easily implemented - it could be an extra mode of game, that you would activate for multiplayer sessions. Like an old Age of Wonders strategy, which had two general settings, classical and simultaneous turn (the latter was meant for playing online, but few people did it anyway). Hopefully someone from Firaxis is reading this thread and they'll consider your idea ;)

14. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member Regular

Civ V isn't the kind of game you should aim to complete in less than an hour though. I think that they could streamline the gameplay a little but making multiplayer fast-paced would also lose depth and strategy in the process.

15. Sad Puppy

Two hours is a reasonable amount for short game, and should suitmultiplayer session as well. I suppose people playign Civilization have more patience and free time on their hands than average gamers already :p

16. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

That sound very awesome and I look forward to see how they will implement it. Because right now, I completely agree with the fact that you can never really finish multiplayer games in a reliable amount of time. So I generally tended to go for the singleplayer mode.

17. Vladimir Logos

Vladimir Logos Member Regular

Thanks m8. ;) Though I am not so sure I'd enjoy it if those ideas got implemented. XD But yeah, there are many solutions in different games that CIV creators could experiment with and potentially apply.

18. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

I am like most of the other users above in that I am looking forwards to trying it, but I also do not depend on it to be a good game so I am not too concerned. I am not the biggest fan of it, at least not when I am trying to actually play the game within my story. It has its upsides and benefits, but I still like the classic way a whole lot better.

19. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I'm looking forward to trying it out but to be completely honest I'm not really expecting that much. I'm guessing they probably have a good formula now considering that so many other games have already carved out a good formula, and it's only up to them to pick it up and execute it for their game properly.

20. Vall

Vall Member Regular

I enjoy play Civilization multiplayer with my friends, however playing with strangers is usually quite boring. I find talking to your friends on VoIP and alt-tabbing to do something else when it's not your turn makes the turns go by quicker. I agree that they shouldn't aim to make the games go by too quickly, that would ruin Civilization I think.