Multiplayer Update

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Teddy Picker, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

2. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

damn you,Teddy, i was going to put it!
    Although,i can still copy&paste the text :D

Since our E3 demo back in June, many of you have been asking about the multiplayer component of Metro: Last Light. We wanted to share some information with you, the Metro community, first.

Throughout the development of Metro: Last light a small, dedicated team had been working on a number of multiplayer prototypes. After E3, we decided to fold this multiplayer team back into the main group and focus 100% of the studio’s resources on the single player campaign. As a result, Metro: Last Light will not ship with a multiplayer component.

Your response to our E3 demo made it very clear that although there was a lot of interest and intrigue around Metro’s multiplayer, the single player campaign is what the fanbase cares about the most.

We feel this is the right decision for the game and have put together a brief Q&A with a few more details below, hopefully they answer many of your questions. Thank you for being a part of our community and as always, we’d love to hear your comments!

Q: You said Metro will not ship with multiplayer. Does that mean we might see Metro MP as DLC or a standalone release at a later date?
    A: Right now we’re 100% focused on the single player campaign and not thinking beyond that. We don’t like throwing away work though, it’s a project we could potentially return to after Metro: Last Light ships.

Q: Can you tell us what the multiplayer mode was going to be like?
    A: For the reasons above, we’re going to keep that under wraps for now!

Q: Why did you commit to a multiplayer mode in the first place?
    A: We are gamers at the studio and really wanted to bring the world of Metro to life in a multiplayer environment. It was a decision made by us at 4A from the outset and THQ have since been supportive every step of the way, including our decision to put multiplayer on hold. In hindsight, it was probably a mistake to announce it when we did, but we’re an enthusiastic team and wanted to be open about what we were making!

Q: How much better would the single player campaign have been if you’d just focused on that right from the start?
    A: Fortunately, we never dedicated too many resources to the MP component beyond prototyping – it never entered full production. By making the decision when we did, we think the single player campaign will benefit as a result.

Q: Does this decision change Metro’s release date in any way?
    A: No. Metro is still on target for release in early 2013

3. Dyp100

Dyp100 Well-Known Member

NOT HAPPY AT ALL. To be honest. This is one of the things I find hard to support.

Like, I love Metros singleplayer, it's probably one of the best I've ever played but I was also REALLY exicted for Multiplayer.

I have a few fans that are REALLY big fans of the game and we couldn't wait until we got the chance to play together, allowing us to mix our play styles.

I know they're going to do DLC (I think they said they probably would before, plus they considered MP as a DLC for 2033) so I hope that adding a MP mode is the first DLC thing they do.

4. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

How come they never said anything about this? Joe even said there'd be a multiplayer reve... Oh, now I get it :(

5. Teddy Picker

All I'm hoping is that the decision wasn't made because of any critics on this forum.. personally I was really looking forward to playing with a few of my friends and to them, the multiplayer was a selling point.

6. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to say this but with a 8 hour campaign max if we're going by information "LL will be as long as 2033" this game has now moved to a non day 1 purchase.

Give me a 20 hour odd campaign which I know will never happen then I'll be interested, but THQ and 4A after so many promises and DELAYS is this the best you can do?

I'm very dissapointed.

7. Dyp100

Dyp100 Well-Known Member

Exactly how I feel. If the MP was cut because of us, and a few people on youtube saying the game is turning into CoD? I will be pissed.

I hope to hear from Joe or Huw soon. They should really be coming on here and tell us what is up, if you ask me.

If the game is still 8 hours, I agree, IDK if I can support 4A as much as I used to.

I love the game and all, but you can't cut back what would be a major time sink if you're going to keep the game the same, short length.

8. Teddy Picker

I've said this a lot, through thick and thin. Keep in mind, I agree with you. But we gotta have faith that 4A is going to deliver a kick-ass game, and if I'm not mistaken they said it would be "longer than M2033's". Plus, I can complete Metro 2033's campaign in around four hours so it all depends on experience, ya know?

9. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I like how Teddy started this thread by saying "calm down" yet everyone are all fired up.

10. Dyp100

Dyp100 Well-Known Member

I'm not too mad, just kinda...Sad. I'm exicted to see more stuff, but I was REALLY hoping for this.

I mean, I know we've still got three more months to wait but still. A trailer and two gameplay videos? It'd be nice to hear a little bit more maybe, especially after this cancel.

I don't want to be a demanding fan, I can wait. Just something to keep our spirits up, you know?

11. Teddy Picker

I only said "calm down" so that people wouldn't get excited and think that it's about multiplayer being implemented, specific game modes, etc. I knew people would be mad and I'm glad they are, but we're being (for the most part) civil.

12. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

At first everyone was hating on multiplayer and now they suddenly miss it, right :/
    Anyways, I was excited for the multiplayer so this is a bit a disappointment.

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This news is... depressing. :( However, there is something we should learn from this: it is now even less likely that 4A Games will try to screw us over. Most developers (especially those with the support of a bigger publisher) would carry on with the multiplayer, ending up with a half-assed online component and a singleplayer campaign that suffers from it. Yet 4A stopped when they knew they should have, concentrating on the main part of Last Light. :) Still, it sucks that we won't be able to slay some mutants together. I was looking forward to playing the MP with yous.

14. Dyp100

Dyp100 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but 4A wouldn't have screwed us, since they've been kicking around ideas since 2033 was in development.

Look it up, they wanted to add MP DLC to 2033 but decided to hold off until LL, but now they're pulling that too.

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I know, but I just thought it adds more evidence for those who still don't think so. :)

16. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Good riddance.Now they can focus on making the campaing really great.

17. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

This is FANTASTIC NEWS! There are enough games on the market that offer a deep and satisfying multiplayer and I salute 4A for not following the disgusting trend of tacking on a worthless and unnecessary multiplayer mode to their game :clap: I'm opening a bottle of Four Roses to celebrate!

18. Teddy Picker

Make sure to send a glass my way you cheeky bastard! :D

I think they could have made it unique without the singleplayer experience being affected but I see your point. If they were planning on tacking on a crappy multiplayer experience, I'm glad they cancelled it.

19. vitormaduro

vitormaduro Well-Known Member

Oh well, I was excited to see what they would do with the multiplayer... But anyway, they are now focusing the efforts on the sp, so it will probably be **cking awesome \o/

20. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

No Four Roses for you, you're underage, Teddy! :boink:

Recently I read this article about Yager basically disowning the multiplayer 2K forced them to make for Spec Ops: The Line. This is not an isolated case.