Most OP PvP Profession?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: PvP Discussion' started by Persian, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

Let's hear your guys idea's on what profession you think will be the most OP at beta or release and why. I'm leaning towards the guardian being OP at release simply because of past experience in games with such a profession.

2. Caledon

Caledon Teef

A Necromancer is going to be a tough sonuvabitch to kill. Taking into account their ability to transfer conditions onto you and your allies, as well as lichform. I'm not going to like these guys.

My second guess would be a warrior. Why a warrior? Right off the bat they'll be one of the quickest classes to learn. They have a wide range of weapons, and they can put out a lot of damage. While everyone else is familiarizing themselves with their new class, warriors will be rampaging across Tyria due to the already familiar playstyle of the warrior.

3. Microasian

Microasian Asian Power

i would laugh in everyones face if ranger ends up being OP. interesting question tho.. as all mmo's end up having an OP class one way or another, i don't think even anet can prevent this one.

4. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

You really think warriors will be that simple? with the wide array of weapons they can use there will be lots of combinations and to learn what works and doesn't will be just as difficult as the other professions. I usually find warrior the most difficult class to master and certainly not the most overpowered in any MMO especially at launch and early game.

5. Caledon

Caledon Teef

The OP asked for the most OP class during BETA or release, which is why I went with Warrior as a second choice. It's true that they have a wide array of weapons, but figuring out what works and doesn't is also a task that every other class needs to determine as well. What is complex about a Warrior? Adrenaline? Banners? Burst skills? A Warrior has been a staple in every MMO. Where GW2 has unique classes, the Warrior is one of the three most familiar classes right off the bat.

The Thief has a new twist to them, Elementalists has attunements, Engineers are all around unique, Guardians are unique, and Mesmers are unique. So that leaves Rangers, Necros, and Warriors as being the most familiar classes in GW2. I see those three having a headstart, so to speak, from jump, simply due to the fact of their familiarity. Since I already posted Necro, it was between a War and a Ranger as my second choice. Really, it could go either way between those two by looking at the DMG numbers on videos.

Rubi also stated that ArenaNet released the classes from easiest to understand to the most complicated, Warrior was the second profession revealed. Add to this discussion the increased armor, high health (2nd highest next to the Necro), and the assumption that a Warrior's damage will only increase as a fight progresses due to adrenaline, and you have my reasons.

Warriors won't stay "OP" long after release. Once people put their hours into their chosen classes, it'll be more about skill than class. Skilled Guardians and Mesmers will give me diarrhea.

EDIT: Overpowered isn't the correct way to describe my impression of how the Warrior will perform at release. People read "OP" and freak out, jumping to conclusions and nerfs are littering the forums all of a sudden. No, Warriors won't be overpowered. They'll have the edge early on, but that will quickly balance out as people grow more accustomed to their chosen class.

1 person likes this.
  6. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

I have to say itll be a necrmancer cus of the fact they have great survivability even more then a guardian i think. But i bet itll be the Mesmer in the end when people can actually play them they will be very touggh to beat.

Anyway that is my opinion:)

But im sure Anet will do their utmost best to balance everything, yay Anet !!

7. Majestic

Majestic Boo

Necromancer huh.. I too felt the guardian would likely end up being the most OP at beta but a lot is on point with the necromancer, they seem like they'll be one of the strongest and hyped professions at release.

8. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

Engineer Turretting in the corner :p

9. Unknown

Ah well now I understand what your saying a lot more clearly, in my terms OP means the profession you can face roll and just dominate everyone and I doubt that's gonna happen either. Warrior will certainly have an edge over the rest of the professions.

10. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

That's an interesting perspective too. Overpowered to me means clearly the strongest class with the least amount of effort. You'd know which class is OP when nobody wants to bother 1 v 1 you. So its a combo of edge and the profession skills.

11. Unknown

Yeah pretty much what I was saying. I can see the necromancer being stronger than the warrior plus everyone is familiar with that profession.

12. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

Well i read or heard somewhere that Arenanet has an easier job to balance GW2 then they did with GW1 so it should be oke. Im sure there will be one or two professions in the beginning but theyll fix it...

Again im geussing Necro and afterwards Mesmer :) hehe

13. Deezy

Deezy Best in the World

I feel like a well played Mesmer is going to be considered OP to begin with, until people figure out how to deal with them.

14. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

I feel like mesmers are gonna be wrecked in the beginning, i'd hand it to guardian or necromancer

15. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

Exactly, in the beginning... i think youre right on that but it wont take long before people figure them out and start to " wreck " themselves lol. Atleast thats what i think.

Anyway i think Mesmer is rly cool and it will be my fourth character :)

16. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

A lot of people talking about mesmer now. I hope it gets nerfed right off the bat. J/K ;)

17. Unknown

l don't think mesmer will be an overplayed profession, or one thats OP. I feel like it'll be considered OP solely due to unfamiliarity to the profession at first.

18. Disparity

Disparity Member

That's the same point Silas was getting at I believe.

19. Fishmonger

Fishmonger Active Member

Just going to say this as a Fact.:mad:
    whichever class I decide to play as WILL be the overpowered one =D

(and that will be thief or necro) goodluck killing my Drizzt Dinin. (GW1 name, which carries over, yay)

20. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Have fun basing your profession on whats OP when you get nerfed a month later.