Moscow Has a missile defense system

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by TheJollyRedRanger, Nov 27, 2012.

1. TheJollyRedRanger

TheJollyRedRanger Well-Known Member

Now in the metro universe I have never head of the Moscow missile defense system mentioned in the book. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-135_anti-ballistic_missile_system

Unless stated in the book (which I have not read yet) this would have defended Moscow from a majority of ICBM's or other types of missiles launched. There is of course the idea of so many missiles attacking the city that the system could not intercept all of incoming warheads.

2. I Hate Lurkers

I Hate Lurkers Well-Known Member

The nuclear war of 2013 started within the middle east. From the small video on the metro website, it seems that Saudia Arabia, Egypt, Yemen, Israel, and maybe Iran or Iraq began to nuke each other. Most likely over religious conflict. When it started to become a global threat everyone just said fuck it and it turned into World War III. America, Russia, and China fired off their nukes. The Northern Europeans like Norway, Sweden, or the Neatherlands fired off a few, as did Mexico, Spain, and parts of Asia. Basically it became a free for all. Everyone was out to kill everyone. Missle defense systems weren't going to help when nukes from seven different countries (not to mention countless subs) came flying towards you. Their defense system was most likely overwhelmed. Hence why it was not mentioning in the novel. Funny part about is it that Australia and South America seem to have gotten off scott free. Neither continents were hit by nukes. Or at least in the video they weren't.

#2 I Hate Lurkers, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  3. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain the book does mention a missile defence system somewhere. But either way it wouldn't be able to stop all missiles.

4. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

sometimes I think that the situation of how WWIII came about is more plausible by the day, specially with the Middle East the way it is now. scary.

5. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

The Neatherlands? Hmmm, seems interesting...

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I think there were probably too many nukes falling on the city to do anything about it. All we know for certain is that, as mentioned in numerous sources, Moscow was the first place to get hit (if not the first in the world then definitely the first in Russia) and the US were definitely involved. I've read four books set in the Metro universe and none of them explain the conflict in full. I'm guessing it is to keep the mystery - and I like it that way, since everyone can come up with their own ideas about it.

Besides, it doesn't really matter what happened during the Catastrophe as the Metro books were never about that, but about the struggle of mankind after an apocalypse to actually coexist not just with the new world and its mutated ecosystem, but mostly each other. Essentially, every Metro book and/or game has one main idea attached to it: that the greatest enemy of man is man. ;)

7. TheJollyRedRanger

I know but its just a thought :D

8. TheJollyRedRanger

Also if any NUKES hit Moscow even 1 or 2 a lot less would have been left on the surface. So now think, Moscow HAD to have A missile defense system or else NOTHING would have survived like a structure. But you may ask how is there radiation if no nukes landed in Moscow which I think would be Fallout from surrounding areas around the city. Also any building could have destroyed by conventional weapon also launched at the city which the system could not intercept because it not being a MIRV. Bit sorry I'm rambling on about a book and video game so I should shut up now :D

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Nah, it's alright - it's fun to discuss these things anyway. :p Maybe some of the bombs that were dropped on the city weren't nuclear? Perhaps some of them were other forms of weaponry, like something biologically engineered to cause accelerated mutation (which would explain how the animals which survived changed so quickly). Who knows. That's what I love about the lack of official info of the war; we can come up with all sorts interesting theories and any of them could be right. :)

10. [​IMG]

Big cities were not initially planned to be bombed at all because nobody thought it to be "THE last war". Main targets were the military installations, which would be the Ural mountains mostly, which is mentioned in both Metro 2033 and the first game.

However there is at least one undetonated missile on the surface of Moscow in Metro 2034.

According to digger team reports the Moscow's missile defence objects vary from being pristine and heavily guarded to being abandoned and decaying.

@TheJollyRedRanger: Nuclear warheads are detonated a few km off the ground.

11. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

Well I think Dmitry and the game devs both realized that a game environment consisting of a flat layer of melted ruble wouldn't exactly be the most thrilling thing.

12. Spencer47

Spencer47 Member

Considering the tech we saw in the live-action trailer, it wouldn't be as good as a modern one. It is still Soviet Russia, so technology hasn't advanced as fast. There were also three missiles launched. In the trailer you see 3 missiles, not just one striking Moscow. This also reminds me on the website it was showing a world map. Moscow was highlighted orange because it got hit by nukes. I looked and realized that it was showing all the places nukes hit. They have said they'd like to explore different metros, and the effects there. This confirms some possible places for a new game ( if not set in Moscow).

13. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Wha...? :twitch:

Also if you can find and read all of the notes in LL (that particular note i believe you can find in the Mausoleum) you will understand why Moscow is not turned into smuldering ruin after the "three nukes" hit it.

#13 Keegan83, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  14. tamalero

tamalero Well-Known Member

pretty sure nukes do not destroy everything.
    let's not confuse the "radius of utter destruction" (aka the part where everything is transformed into sand and glass) and the heat and then the radiation zone.

also pretty sure that in 2033, they would be using tactical nukes and not inefficient bombs or missiles like fatboy.

In the photos of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, you could see that most concrete buildings survived (except at ground 0) and all the paper, wood and bamboo buildings burned to the ground (no surprise lol)

so id say most buildings of reinforced concrete and stone would survive unless it was ground 0.

plus according to artyom.. they used conventional missiles to hit other parts of moscow (red square part )

so probably the missiles were headed directly to the military bases next to Moscow and it ended irradiating the entire city with the fallout.

that's IMHO.

ps...
    as for Mexico.. Mexico as one of the weakest military (tech wise) even if its one of the strongest of latin america , I dont think they will ever build a nuke!
    Mexico as only one old nuclear heavy water reactor and everyone got scared after fukushina ; prompting authorities to say "NO MORE".

#14 tamalero, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
  15. saxojon

saxojon Member

A sidenote: Norway does not have nukes in real life. Pretty sure sweden don't have any either.

16. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

Nope we do not.

...or do we?

17. Skaara Dreadlocks

Well, that sucks :sad:

18. tamalero

tamalero Well-Known Member

We may never know... (cue mysterious music)

19. saxojon

saxojon Member

Considering that we have zero metros to hide in (nation wide there are about 5-6 underground metro stations and they are all quite close to the surface) in case of a nuclear holocaust, I'm quite happy with how things are. ;)

#19 saxojon, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  20. Jastreb

Jastreb Active Member

Even though if nuclear war really occurs in Moscow, it would actually be very similar to the game (they wouldn't last in metro for more than 2 years though) because Moscow really have big metro also known as the biggest Atomic Bunker in the world.
    There is a video:

youtu.be/CRpmXKpvbqU

(I wish i could post a url, but i need at least 15posts :( )