MMO Games with the family

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by tinybutnotfangless, Sep 7, 2015.

1. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

In my MMO gaming experience so far, I have found that many family members come together to play the same MMO games. For example, many guilds in World of Warcraft are family oriented. The guild master would be a dad or mom and the officers would be family friends, eldest children and/or other relatives. Some guilds even had children from the age of 5 and up playing alongside their parents.

Would you play MMO games with your children? How often and how much would you let them play? At what age would you let them start? Do you want to play with them?

2. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I've known plenty of players that when I got to know them better I found out that that they were somehow relatives like cousins, brother and sisters or even father and son sometimes but I don't know if this would happen to me I'd be that happy honestly because MMORPG are a way to get out of the real world.

3. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

I play really light MMOs, like Runescape and Realm of the Mad God with my younger brother. The communities are pretty chill, and the games are simple enough to get into.

4. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes. As much as didn't interfere with life and school. I think it's a great bonding experience. I'd let them start around 7-8th grade.

5. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

Simple and non-competitive MMOs are usually best for introducing non-gamers into the hobby. Which is the category most of my family falls into. I've found that I just don't enjoy the really simple MMOs as they just arent complex enough to engage me. I tend to use other genres entirely to game with family and friends, like FPS'.

6. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would say, WoW is the easiest MMO to play with your family and to get new MMO gamers into the genre. It is very accessible, forgiving, and nowadays, really nooby friendly, to say the least.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I wish I will be able to play games with my kids. Hopefully they're gonna be as passionate as me when it comes to video games.

8. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd love to play them with family members, but none of them are into games at all. I don't think I would play with my children, at least seriously.

9. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Other than brothers and on occasion a couple, I have never seen any family based guild/clan in MMORPG. Most of the players are guys, so I guess maybe father and son might also be a possibility if the son is old enough to play.

If by the time I get a son, and if he is old enough, I might try to play video games with him including MMORPG if there is a new MMORPG catch my eyes.

10. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have known entire families who played MMOs together. I think that is a really cool thing to do. Mother, Father and kids all playing together. I think MMOs nowadays are the new Monopoly and Chess, that people had decades ago, only much more fun.

11. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member
    Regular

That seems awesome but also sounds like it could be a recipe for disaster... like if your tank messes up and then no one shows up to his house for Christmas dinner.

12. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't play MMO games with my family since they don't play anything except traditional board games even though they suck in them.

13. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Depends on the family, but I've seen my fair share of guilds with family members playing together. I had a guild where a father son team ran together all the time. Kid was only 12 and easily one of the best raid healers on the server. The father tanked or DPS'd depending what role was needed for the week. They genuinely enjoyed playing together and whatnot. It's cool when people do it willingly cause they want to. I've known a couple of families that were forced to play together and there was tons of drama. It's one of those things that MMOs can be a bonding experience if everyone's on the same page, but if it's enforced then it's a disaster.

14. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's actually really cool... wish I had that growing up *sob*

15. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh, that sounds like great banter, but the current parent generation might not be that down to playing games at all, to be honest. They did not grow in the same age as we did, but the next generations will surely be very down to playing games generally, not only MOBAs, with all family. Future looks promising!

16. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Depends on the parents honestly haha. Generally 40's aged parents with a history of playing DnD in the past or even tabletop games like Warhammer, ect 99% typically tend to also play video games with their kids. I know cause most of my guild that I own is played by people mid 20's and older. Usually there's an interesting trend with older gamers and they're typically ones who grew up playing more elaborate board games, have a history of adopting early PC gaming, worked IT/programming, had a hobby in computers in the 80's onwards or into tinkering in general.

17. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh yeah, gaming with family and friends is awesome! I haven't played MMO games with family members, but I have with friends and that's just so much fun. I have played multiplayer games on consoles and PC with siblings though. Man those were the days. My sister recently came by for a few days and we just hung out like we were 12/13 again - playing Heroes of Might and Magic all night long. Whole lot of fun.

18. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

Um.....the current parent generation isn't as old as you make us out to be. We didn't all grow up with hammers and chisels, no TV's, etc. I'm not THAT old!!

I play WoW with my teenage daughter. My husband plays with her as well. He was working with her on her healing skills, actually. I don't have as much playing time available currently due to work, but they continue to play on weekends and evenings after her homework is done. They've played Call of Duty together as well! It's how they bond, because she's cool like that.

The family that plays together, stays together, or some kind of rot like that.

19. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

My family has never really been into the whole gaming thing, mostly due to the age different I think, but I do have a cousin who plays a lot and I get online with him every once in while and we can play for hours. I am actually really glad that it gives us a forum to communicate because otherwise we might not talk all that much because he lives really far away.

20. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I could see myself playing a good MMORPG with a couple of my family members, mainly ones closer to my age if not a bit younger.