Minecraft vs. Roblox

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Primalclaws1974, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Primalclaws1974

Primalclaws1974 Well-Known Member

If you don't know what Roblox is, it is something of a mutation between Legos and Minecraft. My son started playing awhile back, and I am starting to take a little interest. Roblox has better overall graphics in it's structures, and it doesn't matter if you build or put them down whole. You set them down in a spot of your choosing in one piece. The people also look better than Minecraft, but suspiciously close to Lego people. Some of the special effects are better too. Minecraft still has it beat with flexibility of our creations, however, as Minecraft has the variety of basic building blocks that look like real building materials. Roblox's building material looks like Lego blocks. What do you think of Roblox?

2. Burt Povski

Burt Povski Well-Known Member

I've played both Roblox and Mineraft. They're both similar in a way but I do think that Minecraft beats it. Roblox has a lot of games to choose from, but it's not really much compared to Minecraft. You can download adventure maps and such on Minecraft. Roblox also gets kind of laggy for me sometimes.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyface Well-Known Member

Huh, never heard of Roblox, but it sounds really interesting. I feel like Minecraft is always going to be its own game though, nothing is going to beat it.. They're always coming out with updates and improving the game as time goes on.

4. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

Minecraft is obviously the superior product. Roblox is all right, but it's not nearly as deep as Minecraft, and the community is far less impressive in terms of creation and dedication.

5. mcjonesqwe

mcjonesqwe Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think it's a good idea though. People love Minecraft but are going to get tired of it eventually. If developers can create a game that's different enough with the same basic elements, they could create the next big game.

6. Arya

Arya Well-Known Member

A lot of my friends used to play, but I never have. I would've checked it out by now, but all of my friends have quit already.

7. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I just checked it and it really looks like Lego/Minecraft style. I'm going to research more about this later or watch it.

8. SecretlyTaco

SecretlyTaco Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't think roblox and minecraft are really comparable. I used to play roblox before minecraft, but I know people that play both games. Roblox is a sandbox game but allows for more coding and much more advanced things to be made, while minecraft has much better workarounds and better things made for it.

It's all in the implementation.

9. Maxx Johnson

Maxx Johnson Member

I actually think both have their perks. I know a friend that prefers Roblox over minecraft due to the fact that he's learning Lua, and since Roblox allows that, he can learn and improve his coding. Yes, Roblox is a children's game, but it enourages Lua coding, which is definitely an appeal for many.

Minecraft has it's perks that it can be challenging, and sometimes you have to have quick thinking if you want to survive.

This comparison is not the best comparison as the two games aren't very alike, their main similarity being that they're 'lego-like' in the sense that they're based on blocks. Minecraft more so than Roblox, as Roblox does not restrict your shapes.

10. SecretlyTaco

SecretlyTaco Well-Known Member
    Regular

Lua is a great programming language for games. Much better than java. Problem is that lua is much harder to get into than java is because java libraries can format the code to look mostly however they want, so with minecraft the code can be very simple by naming things they way they would be in English, while lua is a more typical programming language, where a background in development would probably help a lot.

11. Divbyxero

Divbyxero Member

I had a cousin that played roblox for quite a bit and I would sometimes go and watch him play. But coming from a Minecraft player it just never seemed as interesting. There were cool gamemodes, but Minecraft just 'flowed' better. Plus it seemed really laggy on his good computer.

12. Maxx Johnson

Maxx Johnson Member

I get what you mean, Divbyxero. I guess minecraft just feels a lot more friendly and more fun to play if you start off with Minecraft and go onto Roblox. I personally started off with Roblox, back when I was learning Lua, and learned of Minecraft through it. I thought both were fun in their own ways.

13. JohnBob22

JohnBob22 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like Minecraft and I used to play Roblox. Roblox can be slow and irritating to play and I'd rather play Minecraft.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Minecraft is the winner for me, it just seems much more intuitive and it does have more features than Roblox. The games are quite similar in a way but Minecraft is definitely the better game, there's no doubt about it.

15. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well I am not the biggest Minecraft fan out there, but I have to give it the edge in this one. I was actually pretty impressed with Roblox and I did not expect much from it, but I still like Minecraft better. It is mostly just because I am more familiar with it, though, but it does have more features and seems a little more interactive, like others have mentioned. Thanks for sharing.

16. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yоu саnnоt rеаlly соmpаrе thеm. Hеrе’s why
    Minесrаft itsеlf is а gаmе. It is аn оpеn wоrld sаndbоx gаmе thаt аllоws plаyеrs tо build аnything thеy wаnt. Pеоplе mаkе “gаmеs” in Minесrаft tо nаmе а fеw: оnе in thе quivеr, hungеr gаmеs, skyblосk, еtс… but is limitеd by Minесrаft’s in gаmе соding limits, thеоrеtiсаlly yоu саn mаkе аnything in minесrаft but it wоuld bе highly sоphistiсаtеd. Minесrаft by it sеlf саn bе plаyеd with оr withоut intеrnеt it is tоtаlly indеpеndеnt оf аny оthеr plаyеrs thеy аrе mеrеly оptiоnаl.
    Rоblоx is just thе wеbsitе аnd аppliсаtiоn thаt аllоws yоu tо run gаmеs. оn thе rоblоx wеbsitе yоu mаkе аn асtuаl gаmе with sоmеthing similаr tо а gаmе еnginе whеrе yоu еnсоdе stuff, dеsign tеxturеs аnd еtс. оn rоblоx gаmеs саn hаvе а vеry high quаlity with bеing mоrе simplе in а rеlаtivе sеnsе.

17. Benoit W

Benoit W Well-Known Member
    Regular

Dеpеnds оn yоur nееds.
    Pеrsоnаlly givе mе Minесrаft аny dаy, it саn gеnеrаtе lаndsсаpеs with idеntity thаt bеg tо bе еxplоrеd аnd built upоn. It hаs vistаs! Thеrе is аlsо а hugе rаngе оf plаyеr сrеаtеd соntеnt аnd mаps. It's pоtеntiаl tо stimulаtе а mind vаry frоm thе wоndеrfully tесhniсаl rеd stоnе tо thе аеsthеtiс bеаuty оf sublimе аrсhitесturе.
    Rоblоx hаs lаrgе аmоunts оf plаyеr сrеаtеd mini gаmеs but thеy аrе gеnеrаlly simplе аnd сrudе, аs if built by сhildrеn fоr slightly yоungеr сhildrеn. Thе gаmе аnd UI аrе а lоt simplеr tо usе аnd nаvigаtе аrоund.
    I wоuld sаy оvеr 14 yеаrs оld gо fоr Minесrаft, it's pоssibilitiеs аnd соmmunity pоо-pоо оn Rоblоx frоm а grеаt hеight. Undеr 14? Plаy pizzа dеlivеry оn Rоblоx till yоu grоw up.

18. edy

edy Active Member
    Regular

As one who has played both, I personally prefer Minecraft. It is easier to maneuver and discover, in my opinion. Yet each has its own pros and cons.....

19. Green67

Green67 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Wеll thаt's а vеry simplе quеstiоn. Thеrе is nо right оr wrоng аnswеr. It's whаtеvеr yоu likе/lоvе mоrе. I plаy rоblоx mоrе thаn minесrаft but minесrаft is pеrsоnаlly my fаvоritе. It mоstly dеpеnds оn whаt yоu likе tо dо.

20. Flaming_Dorito

Regular

Minecraft and Roblox? Its not even a competition. Roblox, is horrible, and extremely different to minecraft. The only similarity is that thay are both in a 3D environment. Minecraft is much much better than Roblox. Minecraft wins hands down.