Metro2035 might release this year

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

It might not be such a big surprise, but to keep you all minorly updated, I just saw an announcement by "Metro - The Game" on Facebook.
    - https://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame?fref=nf

In addition, I'd like to post this pretty childish, but still funny, video of "Lego Metro: Last Light" that I found posted on their facebook page.
    [YOUTUBE]?v=1DbWHtrk5pg[/YOUTUBE]
    Also, an edited video of Metro with the Don't Forget song:
    [YOUTUBE]h?v=x3qYPIArexQ&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

#1 Skaara Dreadlocks, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

At first, I thought you were talking about a new game, and instantly thought, "Bullshit."

Then I realized what you actually meant. Should probably get around to actually reading the copy of the first book that came with Last Light on PC...

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Shit, I'm already behind on the Universe of Metro 2033 novels. :eek:hwell: Nicely made videos though.

4. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Now to wait another 4 years for the english version

5. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

And then another five for the bulgarian version. Damn...

6. Am I the only one who is not excited about this?

MLL was a major letdown for me and although it's a great game, I consider M2033 to be superior in almost every way. And I'm not really looking towards a plot synopsis in text form.

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

To be honest, I think people are excited for anything Metro-related right now. Not much news as of late (unless you count the complete edition as something new).

Wasn't a letdown for me and I personally think it's a slightly better game. Well, I'm not 100% sure. I love both of them, though I think I accept Last Light as a better game mechanically (for the most part) and Metro 2033 as the more hardcore genesis of the series (for the most part). It's a bit like how I feel about Call of Pripyat in relation to Stalker of Chernobyl; CoP is a much better game mechanically, but SoP is the more hardcore beginning of the series. Though SoP also has a better story, which is probably why I find it slightly easier to decide which of those two I like more.

Fair enough and a good point. However, I've been following the stories in the Metro 2033 universe for a few yers now (I've read Metro 2033, Metro 2034, Piter, Towards the Light, Into the Darkness - whilst Over the Horizon, Roots of Heaven and Legacy of Ancestors are still waiting on the shelf to be read during the summer holidays). I'm looking forward to Metro 2035 out of a fan's necessity, you could say. Although it may seem as though there's not much point in wanting to read something you already know the story of, the novel can still be a damn good read and much more detailed at that. Or it might not. We'll find out once we get a chance to read it.

8. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

LL is definitely inferior in regards to plot to M2033.

Also, i hope that Metro 2035 won't be another mound of unreadable plots and subplots like Metro 2034.....Glukhovsky really should go back to a more linear kind of story like Metro 2033 was.

If anything, i wish he wrote a book with several characters, each following its own story. It could be something like a Soldier of the Fourth Reich, a citizen of the Red Line and so forth.

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

I agree fully with Bamul. To add a little more to that, I'd like to mention shortly how Metro2033 was more mysterious and more at ground-level; you're just some guy, on his way to save the world with no skill.
    Last Light was better as a game and mechanically like Bamul said, but it took everything to a higher level, starting as a ranger in D6 as a large ranger-base. In 2033, D6 was a dark scary deserted monster-pit.

But only from reading the first ten pages of 2033, and no more, I already know that Glukhovsky's usage of words is perfect. Exciting, and not simple or boring at all, but it's yet at an easily understandable level.

I knew Metro2033 was an extremely good game and that LL was going to do funny-stuff with the story, and not be as good as 2033, but I still anticipated it none the less. Just like how I know 2033 is a good book without even having read it, and I'm fairly certain LL isn't going to be exactly the same. Again, as Bamul said, it's more of a fan-necessity.

10. TJP75

TJP75 Member

Having bought the first English edition of Metro 2033 and finding it to be a very average translation, I do hope Metro 2035 is translated by someone fluent in both Russian and English.

Failing an English translation becoming available within a reasonable timeframe, I'll happily wait for the audio book version. I bought the audio book versions of Metro 2033 and Metro 2034 (read rather brilliantly by Rupert Degas) from Amazon for less than the Metro 2033 novel.

11. Autumnal Wanderer

Autumnal Wanderer Level 28 Ranger

The Metro 2035 is my most waited book right now. I loved the LL's story it was different, but this is how I love it. Do not forget that the 2033 compared to the game is much more detailed and the developers cutted out a lot of parts.
    I did read all the Metro 2033 Universe books which is published in Hungary, so far, they are translated 3 books - if I know right, in this year will coming out this year - The Roots of Heaven is my favourite. I do like the Towards the Light and the Back to the Darkness books as well, but not that much. To be honest, I expected much more from the best writer this series, the story is good, don't get me wrong.

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Nice! There aren't many fans of the Universe series on this forum, so it's always great to see one here. In Poland we have 6 of the books translated thus far (8 if you count Glukhovsky's first two novels) and this month the first in the series written by a Pole has been released. :D We did get a compilation of short stories by Polish fans officially released earlier, but it was only digital format and not really part of the international Universe series. I've read all 8 books so far, but I can't get the newest one at the moment since I'm living abroad. I might get one of my friends to send me a copy though.

13. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

"Don't Forget"
    What a perfect video.

14. Autumnal Wanderer

You should do that. Did you read that book which title traslated to english is "Wanderer"? I think I don't need to explain why I am asking...:D. If you are interested, I can show you the Hungarian covers, because thoose are unique made by a Hungarian artist.

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

The one originally titled "Странник"? If that's the one you mean, then no I have not read it unfortunately. It has not been translated to Polish yet and my Russian is nowhere near good enough to read the original. :( The ones that have been translated to Polish thus far are: Metro 2033, Metro 2034, Piter (Питер), Towards the Light (К свету), Into the Darkness (Во мрак), The Roots of Heaven (Le radici del cielo), Beyond the Horizon (За горизонт), and Legacy of the Ancestors (Наследие предков).

Sure, I'd love to see those. I could also add them to the Metro wiki after. :D

16. Autumnal Wanderer

Oh, I see. The Beyond the Horizon is Gyjakov's third book? So I scanned the books, because I cannot find a big resolution picture, I did the same thing with the Witcher books as well.

There is the first, the rest of them will be in between spoiler tags :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Towards the Light (this is the worst I think)
    [​IMG]

Back to the Darkness
    [​IMG]

And finally my favourite, Roots of Heaven
    [​IMG]

Edit: I added the full sized Metro 2033 picture:
    [​IMG]

#16 Autumnal Wanderer, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Wow, those are really nice! Thanks for posting them. The Polish covers of Metro 2033 and Metro 2034 are unique, but the ones for the Universe series are the same as the Russian versions (the first and most recent Polish one may have been designed by a Polish artist, but it's in the same style as the Russian prints - with main character in front and a nice backdrop). I've included images of M33 and M34 respectively in spoiler tags below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is indeed. It's interesting how Андрей Дьяков was translated in Hungarian to Andrej Gyakov. The first name is understandable since it's a straight up transliteration (although phonetically it ends up being incorrect, as Russian е is like ye sound), but the second one starts with a completely different letter, as Russian Д is pronounced like Latin letter D... but I don't know Hungarian, so it probably makes sense and I'm just not reading it correctly. :p

Дмитрий Глуховский is translated into his English pen name "Dmitry Glukhovsky" across all language versions of the books I believe, which is a bit silly considering it should be written differently depending on the language in order to make it phonetically correct with his actual Russian name (e.g. Дмитрий Глуховский in Polish would be written Dmitrij Głuchowski... although Głuhowski would be pronounced the same, but we have two ways of writing H due to our orthography). Anyway, sorry for getting sidetracked - I like talking about languages. :lol:

#17 Bamul, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  18. Autumnal Wanderer

I think this artist is also a musician in a Hungarian pagan black metal band called Bornholm. And If he is who I think he is, he made most of the Sabaton coverarts as well. But I am maybe wrong, but the name is the same. If you like theese kind of music I would recommend you :). I really like how he captured the atmosphere of the whole universe, although I better like the armour degsin of the game.

The polish covers are good as well :D

Well I have no idea about the russian language, I never learnt. My parents were learnt it back in time, but they barely remembered anything. Anyway I feel closer to me the slavic thinking and world wievpoint, not to mention the folklore. This is the reason why I love the Metro series, and the The Witcher series (both games and books), and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. Just look at the Fallout 3 or NV and compare it to the Metro series and you will understand what I wanted to say with this.

19. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I'm not sure which of universe book covers I like the most -though, definitely not the one with the Pterodactyl :p. I think "Back to the Darkness" would be the one. It uncanny and kinda creepy, and I think it would look neat just on top of a desk. The other ones too, but BTTD just has something about it O-o

20. TJP75

TJP75 Member

I hope the audiobook version of Metro 2035 arrives at the same time as the book as I think the audio versions are fantastic (an English actor is reading them). Edit: Brilliance Audio are stating the audio version will arrive on the 6th of October 2015 - https://www.brillianceaudio.com/product?i=11989

I'm already finishing my second listen to Metro 2033 and it's even better the second time through :D

#20 TJP75, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014