Metro Redux Thoughts/Discussion

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Potarto, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Since I'm on a mid-range gaming rig and a 900p monitor, I personally have always played both Metro games maxed except for SSAA, tessellation and advanced PhysX (all of which I kept turned off).

2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I never got an answer to my question about weapon damage; Komo, you said all weapons firing the same caliber did the same damage. I could have sworn that an Ashot did more than a Saiga. Is there no difference whatsoever in the damage profile?

3. They might have different spread.

On easy difficulty the same human enemy went down with 3 shots of dirty 5.45 from AK, Bastard and VSK. So I'm pretty sure it all does the same damage with the same ammunition.

Either way it's impossible to gauge (Har har) the difference with 12x70 because it's always an OHK if all pellets connect.

I'm throwing a video on damage in for good measure, although it's not particularily relevant:

[YOUTUBE]WijFLpRKR98[/YOUTUBE]

4. Garwinski

Garwinski Member

I have SSAA completely disabled, because when enabled the FPS drops significantly, and 0.5 SSAA actually makes your game more blurry than turning it completely off (Duh, this took me way to long to figure out :eek:).

5. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

The Saiga felt like it did more damage, but I guess I'll have to go back and try some point-blank shots with it to be sure.

6. SpartanKobe

SpartanKobe Member
    Regular

I already tested out the Helsing on it, and on Ranger Hardcore.
    It takes over 8 I think. You're not missing out on anything really. Since there's an ammo cap, there's plenty of ammo to go around and find. Helsing imo seems a bit nerfed, and since you can only carry two weapons on RH, you might as well carry the AR and SG cause you find the most ammo for them and unless you are really good at aiming, the Helsing won't help you much in a mutant fight, and you might find yourself surrounded and killed when using it in a mutant fight.
    18 MGR to the face should do it, as I said earlier.

I guess the nerf was necessary. Pre-Redux you can two shot librarians with a Helsing. Really breaks the game. :p

#86 SpartanKobe, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  7. Derrame

Derrame Well-Known Member
    Regular

Is there any new artwork from the Redux versions?

8. robert123456

robert123456 New Member

Hello everyone. just played metro 2033 redux, never played the first one but played last light. I finished it in ranger hardcore and i loved it. Specially how the focus is on keep going instead of collecting cool things. There were times when i had a great upgraded ak that i had to switch for a crappy shotgun i found due to lack of ammo and being able to keep my air gun for stealth. Great game with a great story and great gameplay. I found it a bit on the short side and maybe too much cutscenes that interrupt gameplay but its been a while since i felt motivated to finish a game because i enjoy it so much.

9. DarkOne

DarkOne Well-Known Member

Got around to playing both games just have a couple of DLC missions left in Last Light.

Metro 2033 was the game that changed the most out of the two in this remaster. I like some of the changes mainly with the new areas and extended cut scenes. Riding in the car to Sparta was nice just one example. I didn't think there would be a better go to weapon than the auto shotgun but that bicycle shotgun felt really nice. One of the biggest improvements to 2033 was the Biomass level was toned down in difficulty making it a lot less frustrating to deal with if low on ammo. I also liked the addition of the spiders in the Cave level.

What I didn't like was that going up to the surface in 2033 was no longer as tense as before with more filters and the brightness (Dead City). Maybe it's more accurate but it isn't as atmospheric as before. I miss my equipped knife I just can't kill any nosalis with the COD type knife and that's disheartening. My main gripe is the voice over change to Artyom I don't really understand it since Khan's voice over was the same. I know Artyom only talked in between chapters but every line I felt was delivered perfectly by the original voice actor.

Overall I'm really glad we got Metro Redux on these newer consoles and to get more people interested in this great franchise.

#89 DarkOne, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  10. Autumnal Wanderer

Autumnal Wanderer Level 28 Ranger

Okay, I played almost 7 hours with the 2033 Redoux, it would be awesome, but I find some strange bugs. First of all, the music is glitching for me, which could kill the atmosphere of the game, because you hear a song which supposed be heard when you stealthing. The NVG is bugged as well, I was so happy when I found it in the Frontline beginning, it was so usefull, but I didn't remembered the bug. Otherwise I love this game, and when it patched it would be my favourite FPS but I still feel a little bit shame because I didn't played the original version.

11. OrphanOfTheMoon

Played Metro 2033 redux.
    Instantly fell in love with it.
    SO much better than the original. Better lighting. Better graphics. Better music. SO MUCH BETTER GAMEPLAY!

12. TJP75

TJP75 Member

Pre-ordered the Redux versions of 2033 and LL when first announced on Steam. As I test software, I've only been playing Metro Redux on occasions when I need to do something else other than drive virtual race cars.

I recently finished Metro 2033 Redux and really liked the additions made by 4A as already mentioned in this thread. Survivor Ranger hardcore was slightly easier than I remember...the enemy AI was a lot better than the original version. Spartan hardcore mode was enjoyable too although I prefer the lack of resources in the survivor mode.

Last Light doesn't appear to have changed in a significant way. I'm just about to enter the final chapter I don't mind at all as LL was excellent the first time through. Survivial ranger hardcore playthrough so I'll do the spartan mode next time plus the DLC.

There has been some questions over the loss of effects such as smoke on certain levels at the benefit of better framerates. I've been following the comments on Guru3D and NeoGAF and it does appear some cutback were made. That said, the PC version has extras the consoles don't such as SSAA, Physx and tessellation and to be fair, advanced DOF in the original version of 2033 killed the frame rate. Using the LL engine helped smooth out the odd frame rate drops of the original 2033 release.

What I didn't like was the crashing to desktop and hanging that I've encountered with both 2033 and LL. I'm using an Nvidia GPU (EVGA GTX 680) and haven't experienced Nvidia driver crashes at all until I started playing the Redux versions. The latest driver does help however I still get the occasional crash to desktop. 4A and their reps appear to have disappeared from the Steam forums as well which is very sad too.

13. Arvis

Arvis Member

So Redux version isn't only improved graphics? Because I thought it was only that. :D

14. superbobby

superbobby Active Member

Can you expound more on the "better game play" part? How is it better?