Metro Redux announced

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Professor Pew, May 22, 2014.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

New videos look good, but I still wish the IP was in their hands so that 4A could follow CDPR's example and release all of this as free updates for those who already have these games.

2. DarkOne

DarkOne Well-Known Member

First half hour of 2033 Redux (PS4):
    [YOUTUBE]UeoheyU7r94[/YOUTUBE]

#122 DarkOne, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  3. [YOUTUBE]W8055I-Fcig[/YOUTUBE]

4. Garwinski

Garwinski Member

I saw no difference in the footage of Redux Last Light and Original Last light. A well, it was a good game to begin with anyway. I am still looking forward to replaying Metro 2033 Redux and its remastered/added sections though!

5. There shouldn't be much difference visually. MLL redux is a release for PS4 and Xbox1 primarily. In addition all DLC is available by default and all DLC weapons are now usable in the campaign.

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Which is why it could have easily been made into a patch for fans who already own the game on PC. :p Right now I have very little incentive to buy 2033 Redux and practically none at all for Last Light Redux, which is expected since this was made primarily for those who haven't yet bought these games - but it still bothers me. It's even more annoying considering how all of this Redux stuff was released so shortly after the Complete Edition of LL. Such a disgusting cash grab, but that's how it is so I'm not going to rant about it.

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

Wow, those screenshots are awesome! The Librarian looks really nasty now, and those Scorpions are really detailed. I love the fact that they added Artyom's knife, stabbed into the dead Scorpion on the left. I also like the half-gasmask that they get under the ranger-mask-helmet thing. I want that so bad.

8. Garwinski

Garwinski Member

I know, but I was hoping for some really small additions, like in the trailer that explained the Redux versions, where you hear Artyom exclaim a loud "FUCK!" when he gets scared by a Nosallises. I am positive it wasn't in the original, as I played trough that specific section only two days ago :p

And I am really looking forward how the 'Survival' Playstile mode will work out in Metro Last Light and what the impact will be on the experience in this game in general. We do not have to wait long anymore though! :D

9. I don't see why you should expect things for free when they require a lot of manhours to create.

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I don't mind that it is released as a full-price package, though I do believe it should have been given at no extra charge to those who already own these games. Nevertheless, you misunderstand what I wrote and you are very selective in your quoting as at this point in time I don't actually expect any of this for free... nonetheless, I will explain to you why I could expect it if things were different.

First of all, because other increasingly successful companies have released all of their DLC for free and have only gained from it, I know your argument isn't really valid. Secondly, I already shelled out ridiculous amounts of money on everything 4A Games made (including buying a season pass for the first time ever, which is equal to giving someone money upfront and not a very wise thing to do in the games industry). Moreover, in an age where new games require an internet connection and various applications just to launch, when you pay for a game you are also paying for continued support of the title past release. Last but not least, I know that free DLC and other enhancements would be possible if not for the publisher and all other intermediaries, as more profit would be going straight into the developer's pockets.

However, as I said earlier I don't expect any of it for free (I finished my original post with: "but that's how it is so I'm not going to rant about it"). Perhaps I was being too vague, as I'm sure this discussion already took place on the forum, but I acknowledge that releasing little enhancements and additional content for free isn't possible due to how things work at 4A and who actually owns the IP (not 4A). I'd like to point out that CDPR also put a shitload of work into their enhanced editions (and DLC) for both Witcher games, yet that didn't stop them from releasing all of it for free for those who already owned these games. I don't think it's surprising that after this and many other similar decisions, they have become the most successful video game developers in Poland and one of the most successful in Eastern Europe. So it is very much possible and not outrageous to deliver additional content for free to those who already bought your products, it just can't be done when you don't own the IP.

11. Duffy

Duffy New Member

This "Redux" on console looks pathetic imo. All it is, is 1080p 60 FPS with volumetric lighting stripped out, tesselation off, physx gone and smoke and fog reduced. The darker, danker look is more fitting and atmospheric for a post-apocalyptic game imo.

Basically they took out half the things that made the tone and replaced them with "better" lighting and higher res-textures. It's too bad, I was really looking forward to this for a long time, guess I'll stick with the originals and pass on any future installments..

#133 Duffy, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  12. Skaara Dreadlocks

This is interesting. It seems logical, because duuh consoles. But on PC, I believe it'll be spectacular. Even on the PC version, I agree with some of your arguments, but there's also the optimization and swapping of weapons and models and much more visuals than just graphics and lighting.

But anyhow, if you don't have the DLCs, I still suggest you get those for your console :)

13. Treat Redux as a GOTY edition :)

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

You're right that it is essentially just that, but I don't like how soon after the complete edition Last Light Redux is being released since the former was supposed to be the GOTY edition. Anyway, I'm just a bit frustrated that the few new additions (like weapons from DLC added to original campaign or being able to check your gear in ranger hardcore) weren't patched in for us. Small changes like these are nice, yet not enough to warrant a purchase. As for 2033 Redux, after reading some reviews I've decided that I will probably pre-order it - for the discount. It will be nice to experience it for the fifth time, but this time refreshed.

15. That's why you can buy them separately. You can also probably get it on sale a few months down the line.

Hurry up, the discounts are most likely just for the preorder, which means you only have two days until release.

16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I would have only two days if I lived in North America, but I live in Europe. :p Pre-ordered it today anyway though. :)

17. Stalker Bar

Stalker Bar Well-Known Member

18. Good ending of Last Light is confirmed to be the canon one again (Intro to original Metro 2033 showed older Artyom writing memoirs). In the menu of Metro 2033 Redux you can see old Artyom, Anna and their son.

[​IMG]