Metro Redux announced

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Professor Pew, May 22, 2014.

1. [YOUTUBE]IZwVvl71JnM[/YOUTUBE]

2. Garwinski

Garwinski Member

Just watched this: epic. I notice a lot of moments that I vaguely recall from metro 2033, but they are a little bit different. Also some new moments as well! Most of the new stuff was in Metro 2033 redux though. Of course it is to be expected that the 2033 redux version is the most different from the original, but i'm still curious though what will be different in the redux version of Last Light, apart from spartan and survival mode. Did anyone noticed some changes in the footage of last light?

I already pre ordered them both anyway to show support for the awsome games 4A makes, so non of this is going to be an influence on my decision though :p At least i am already looking forward to playing 2033 remastered!

3. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Wow, that was cool! I did think there were a few part in Metro 2033 Redux that looked a little too bright -such as the beginning where Artyom is at ostankino tower- and that made it look a bit too much like a COD, but then other parts of the game were very stunning. I really like the new enemy AI animations. Then at 00:54. That looks really cool with all the rats running by. I also like how some levels have been stitched together. I do hope -though, from the looks of it, it may not be included- that Artyom's original watch will be in Metro 2033. I really enjoyed staring at it, especially in the dark when it glowed, and prefer that it be in 2033 rather than the Nixie watch.

I'm going to get Redux because I still don't have the DLCs due to my internet's slow download rate; and with Redux, it would help out because a possible large portion of the files will be on the disk I will not have to download as much from steam.

#103 NuclearWastE3, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  4. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really like how they combined a lot of the levels. The brightness is, like I said somewhere before, due to the "snowblind" effect. You could probably just adjust your gamma levels appropriately, especially since the game looks brighter as a whole (I remember not being able to see anything in a good portion of Frontline). And I'd guess that the watch is Last Light's, especially since it seems like they ported a lot of the models in general, and they're keeping the same stealth system.

Very well put together trailer, has a nice blend of informative nitty-gritty details and flashy toys. Old comparison was pretty low-hanging fruit, but you can really see the contrast, especially in how much more animated the outside areas look.

5. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Will post more thoughts later but Survival+ Ranger hardcore YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH BOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYT!!!!!!!!!! Hahaha This is going to be great

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

Wow, awesome! Did anyone else notice how Artyom said loudly and clearly "F*ck!" when that mutant attempted to get in through the grates when he was in the ventilation shaft with Khan? I also noticed how they put a helmet on Anna. Finally, they've hidden her ugly face. I get sick of it. :puke:

Other than that, I do agree the new illumination, as they referred to it, does make it less scary as it takes away that blind darkness. But still, that darkness made me unable to see the good details before. Taking that example from the video where they showed Bourbon looting a corpse in Original mode and Redux mode, I could see much more of the details. I didn't enjoy it in 2033 when it was so dark that there were many things you couldn't see. True, the dark makes it even scarier and frightening, but I'd rather sacrifice a bit of that to be able to see clearly in the game.

7. It was Ulman and Artyom respectively. Not Artyom and Anna.

That's because in MLL footage the flashlight was on and in M2033 footage it wasn't.

#107 Komodo Saurian, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  8. Skaara Dreadlocks

... oh

... oh

9. Some of the areas in Redux are even darker than they were in vanilla games. Don't sweat it.

10. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

/excitement; /elation; /ecstacy

11. [YOUTUBE]exHgp2Zz_uY[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]mbHDcFhrQiA[/YOUTUBE]

12. [YOUTUBE]SAp8zKQk1h8[/YOUTUBE]

13. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Is there a reason why PC gameplay of 2033 and 2033 Redux isn't being shown?

Yes we know Next Gen Consoles are bound to see an improvement but what improvements have been done to PC apart from the obvious 4K?

Have 4A removed the broken glass traps from the floor and do we still have that silly red hitmarker?

Also as you probably know I'm not a fan of those huge white "in your face" tip icons that appear on the screen, such a beautiful game has it's atmosphere broken by such things. *sigh*

#113 majnu, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  14. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

A friend (with an xbox one) is asking

It's a shame it was made before the extra Kinect resources had been freed up, get it to 1080 native. Is it possible that 4A will release a patch to bring it to 1080p resolution?

15. DarkOne

DarkOne Well-Known Member

Those big white icons have replaced the less intrusive icons from the original 2033. A lot of stuff has changed to match Last Light for instance Khan's appearance and that of Miller's.

I'm not too sure but I think I read maybe it was Eurogamer that 912p was with the added boost from using hat would be Kinect resources and that they went with having a solid 60fps because of that.

#115 DarkOne, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  16. That is because the console version pales in comparison with the PC build at ultra settings. That's why they avoid showing it. $ony and M$ don't want anyone to hurt peasant feelings, the feelings of people who still belive that PC players have to upgrade every five minutes, that consoles are superior and that the eyes can't see more than 30 FPS.

You can turn it off in the settings now.

No. Magic patches don't happen on consoles. It's way too much hassle because of how $ony and Micro$oft deal with them. They need to get approved beforehand, they need to be tested, they need to fit into a bunch of limitations established by them. Maybe, but the chance is slim.

17. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

The resolution discrepancy seems slightly less than usual, so I'm guessing it was done with the new and improve SDK (considering Destiny comes out only a few weeks later and also uses it). And I doubt we'd see a patch even if it was, considering how much extra work it would take to go back through and make sure that 1080p wouldn't cause any extra framerate drops, and if it did, to find the optimal resolution.

Interestingly, Eurogamer's analysis on the versions showed more consistent framerates with the PS4 (still only two dropped out of 26,000 samples as opposed to none on the PS4, but the difference is there), I'm assuming they'd call that an acceptable loss for the slight extra bump in pixel count. Also interesting to see how much the PS3 really had issues with framerate.

And the new versions look nice. Obviously not quite as detailed as a maxed PC version, but I'm liking how resolution and framerate are becoming more popular demanded features in games on consoles.

#117 Potarto, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  18. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.

I did notice that the character faces had changed. Miller, Khan and the Blacksmith. What's the reasoning behind this as it doesn't really make sense for them to have the same asset as in Metro LL when the events occured after 2033.

19. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

I know the forums are kind of dead, but will I be the only one not getting rid of the original Metro 2033? It offered an experience I feel will be not paralleled in the redux. It was so visceral and raw, a gaming experience that the Last Light engine will not deliver.

20. You are getting both with 2033 redux anyway, so nobody is getting rid of it.