Metro: Last Light: The Basics

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Luster, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Luster

Luster Well-Known Member

What is Metro: Last Light?
    Metro: Last Light is the sequel to the 2010 first person shooter, Metro 2033. It's being developed by 4A Games, the studio behind the original. The game takes place right after the first one, and stars the same character, Artyom. For the sequel the developers are hard at work improving on the problems gamers had with the first title.

Whoa there's some Chernobyl sh-- up in here.
    Metro: Last Light is set about 20 years in the future, where a nuclear war has wiped out Russia. Mutants roam the crumbling, destroyed cities above ground, and humans have taken refuge in the subways below ground. Each station on the subway route has become a city-state, and civil war is breaking out among the inhabitants. Artyom has to stop groups like the Reich, a neo-nazi faction from bringing down the f---ed up, but functional, society below ground.

4A Games has shown they can make a beautiful, post-apocalyptic environment and Metro: Last Light is looking even better than its prequel. Much of Metro: Last Light takes place underground. You move through tunnel systems and ride on trains, shooting psychopaths as you barrel through the darkness.

Metro: Last Light looks like a survival horror game
    The Metro series is largely an FPS, but it is also a survival horror game. There are stealth elements, scary mutants, and limited ammo. Metro: Last Light will keep this alive. 4A has shown off some of their stealth moments like being able to shoot out lightbulbs to shroud yourself in darkness.

Is there multiplayer this time?
    There is! While 4A Games has not shown off the multiplayer component, they did promise one, in addition to the full single player campaign.

Can I read this story instead of play it?
    Metro 2033 was based on a novel of the same name written by Dmitry Glukhovsky. While the book does have a sequel, Metro 2034, it is not the basis for Metro: Last Light's plot. 4A Games is going a different route with the story.

Am I weird if I think those gasmasks are kinda hot?
    Yes. But I found quite a few people like you when I wore the official Metro: Last Light gas mask swag around E3. People are pretty freaking weird, but that's awesome.

Article from IGN.