Metro: Last Light MULTIPLAYER!

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Luster, May 31, 2011.

1. Luster

Luster Well-Known Member

The first details on THQ's Metro 2033 sequel, Last Light have been confirmed.

According to IGN, the game will be a "direct sequel" to the original FPS.

Last Light takes place 20 years in the future, where survivors of an apocalyptic nuclear event still dwell in the relative safety of the Moscow metro system, while poisonous air and all kinds of mutant nasties rule the surface.

Each station is reportedly its own city state, housing the extreme ideologies of Neo Nazis and Communists, which are often causing conflict. You once again play as Artyom, a tortured soldier tasked with stopping a civil war in the Metro.

4A has promised to fix glitches, dodgy AI and stealth sections of Metro 2033 ("if you failed to execute your target and merely wounded them, every guard in the area would immediately be alerted and know your exact location") - whilst online multiplayer has been confirmed.

In the graphics department, the studio wants to push PC hardware and create "the best-looking game on consoles". IGN reports that it's witnessed "a chase scene on a train was particularly beautiful".

We'll have our very own detailed first impressions of the game with you later today.

source

2. MrCatastropher

MrCatastropher Active Member

In a interview I saw that I can't remember an developer from 4A said something that the multiaplayer would become "unique".:confused:

What does the community think about that? Are we happy that we don't receive another cod clone or are we hyped at something like bioshock 2 multiplayer?:confused:

In my own opinon I think the multiplayer is going to be "passable". hopefully not!:p

3. Jester33

Jester33 Member

Multi-Player for Metro,i don't think it will be that good, hopefully they will do the campaign first then do multiplayer if they do add it.If they do, hopefully they wouldn't get caught up in that and working on that instead of the campign, so hopefully they will not do multiplayer

4. Jizzrael

Jizzrael New Member

A coop story mode could work, though instead of multiplayer, i think that they should just focus their effort towards a compelling story, well defined characters and just one hell of a campaign. They should NOT compromise on the atmosphere, detail and pure epicness that made the first game so damn brilliant.

5. MrCatastropher

MrCatastropher Active Member

Yes, focus on singelplayer and make it as good as possiable.

6. Akula

Akula Member

Campaign first, Multi-player later.

7. shahrier

shahrier Member

Hmm.. To be honest if they do release a multiplayer, I don't think it will be that great.

8. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

A human vs mutants mp could be fun, but this is a game you buy because of the singleplayer.

9. Jimaniac

Jimaniac Member

Totally agree! Last Light should focus on its Singleplayer. Plus, nobody wants unpleasant surprises, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the MP...

10. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

As I said on Twitter:

Single player games which are excellent get ruined by mp being added on.

It all falls down to time, resources you have at the studio and how the development team can be split into focus groups.

Metro 2033 fell into a great niche in the FPS/RPG market. A great survival horror should be made better with a story line. Story lines is what makes sequels sought after.

What I would like from a Multi Player aspect is 4 Player co-op or something very similar to Call of Duty's Spec Ops.

11. Serge

Serge New Member

Yeah I can't see multiplayer being nearly as fun as singleplayer. Please focus on singleplayer!

12. TURTLER9

TURTLER9 New Member

It should be a survival mode.

13. Tavastian

Tavastian New Member

I agree that singleplayer with rich and unique story and gameplay should be the development team's main goal. However, since a) I have high doubts on how "open-world RPG" this sequel is going to be and b) it's not going to last forever anyway, I think featuring some sort of multiplayer ought to be included.

Now, be frank with me and single out at least one successful post-apocalyptic PvP multiplayer FPS. Brink maybe, but it's mood is too joyful if you get what I mean. Don't get me wrong thinking that I would like to turn Metro series into mainstream carbage that is being produced all the time. In my opinion this would be a great opporturnity to show an alternative to today's FPS genre.

As what sort of multiplayer it would be, I don't personally fancy the idea of plain "hold out area X and kill all incoming X waves of enemy". There already are tons of more or less successful games of this particular theme and it won't need a new one. As for cooperative online singleplayer campaign, it might be tricky to create due the canon storyline, where the main protagonist tends to go on his own.

What I have in mind: rather ordinary TDM with possible objectives, where Communists and Neo Nazis would be pitted against each other, as they seem so eager to cut each others throats open. Player models, weapons and maps would be borrowed from the singleplayer to cut down the effort needed for the MP. Player amount could be 8 v 8, 12 v 12 or 16 v 16 (whatever fits the map sizes) to stay true to the fact that majority of people in the Metro isn't interested of these factions' ideologies and purposes.

As for the gameplay: at the start of each map players get X amount of Military Grade Bullets (or whatever is the currency in Metro: Last Light) to buy gear from the market. Currency can be spend on various weapons (melee, sidearms, military firearms, explosives, etc), attachments to their weapons, ammo and special outfits (stealth suit, body armor, etc). During combat, players can scavenge more equipment from dead corpses that they pose till their death. To gain more currency, players are rewarded from completing objectives and killing opponents.

I know this isn't completely thought through, but it's a start to say the least. I think more about it, if it's even considered in the first place. Look for an example BioShock 2, I haven't seen no one saying that the multiplayer ruined the game itself. There are singleplayer and multiplayer that are completely seperate and both attract people to play the game. Some like more, some like less, but they play it anyway.

I know some people will judge from this, but this is just my opinion how they could improve the game. Granted some series, such as Final Fantasy, keep on going with singleplayer only. But to be honest today's gaming industry is a harsh world, where only the strong will survive, since ultimately making games is about making a living of it. I hope people don't my message as I would like to ruin this magnificent game, but in my opinion multiplayer should be given a thought at least and not denying it straight away. Also, it doesn't need to be in the first release, maybe in a DLC or in an expansion pack, if the development team seems to run out of time.

If someone didn't get it earlier:

KICKASS SINGLEPLAYER > enjoyable multiplayer

14. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Nice ideas. But generally I think we all agree that Single Player should be the focus and we should have a longer campaign.

Below is a comment from a member on another forum Re: MP

Not every game needs to have multiplayer, dead space 2 had it and i had 1 go of it, hated it and never played it again.

Some are quite decent added on; like the multiplayer in bioshock 2. Assassins creed 2 wasn't good though which is sort of what I'm aiming at - that some games may benefit from multiplayer but a lot of single player games should be left as single player.

I would be more happier if every multiplayer game had a bot system like in gears of war 2 or unreal tournament 3, this way if nobody is playing then u can still get games rather than the online be totally dead, which most of the lesser games to have multiplayer sadly have happen to them nowadays, plus most people wait for a game to be reduced in price but then a lot of people could move on from that game so u could have no realistic chance in playing the online part of the game as the lobbies would be dead.

this wouldn't happen with the big 4 of gow, cod, bad company, and halo as they will have a big fanbase, i don't like multiplayer to just be added on to make the game longer as they should make the campaigns longer.