Metro Last Light - Is it still a flawed Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by majnu, May 30, 2013.

1. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Even after delays metro last light felt rushed

1. Abrupt ending with a very short end battle
    2. The story behind characters felt too rushed. 1 second Anna is giving you the cold shoulder, the next she drops her knickers.
    3. Implementation of community ideas were poorly done
    4. Bugs on ALL platforms
    5. Shitty Music during fights
    6. Poor implementation of Ranger Hardcore
    7. AI who you can kill playing one handed.

Now while I symapthise for 4A's working conditions, we were led to believe that the game was being polished.
    For a Single Player only and linear game which prides itself in "Atmosphere" the above made it near enough impossible
    to enjoy the game.

4A were stretched beyond belief in my opinion. They simply couldn't cope and needed more resources to give Metro the credit it's due.
    Therefore I still think this game is a flawed masterpiece.

2. brynje

brynje Well-Known Member

"..the above made it near enough impossible
    to enjoy the game.." - I find that statement slightly farfetched.. but I understand some of your points.

3. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

i tend to agree somewhat

4. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's definately a flawed masterpiece,just like 2033. Or like a journallist called it "a rough diamond".

5. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yep.

Also, what was with the boss fights? Totally broke the realism set by the first game..

6. xyarcox

xyarcox Member

I think this is very harsh. I had no idea about the development of this game nor did I know anything about the community requirements. All I knew is that I loved Metro 2033 and Last Light feels like a straight continuation of its predecessor, to put simply another master piece from 4A. Only thing I would say is the Xbox version will not unlock achievements for ranger hardcore and the ending wasn't as good as 2033, other than this the game is great and carries them same feel and atmosphere from 2033. That’s all I wanted.

7. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

You couldn't be farther off. I don't know about anyone else, but it is fact that nearly every gameplay mechanic has changed. Sure, the amazing atmosphere is still there - each time I was on the surface I found that eerie, desolate spot where 4A wanted me to be. But the mechanics and "feel" to the game were so different. This is where Last Light is flawed. It got the atmosphere right again, the sense of desolation, even as the sense of survival was lost because of the over-abundance of ammunition and filters (I counted 46:30 in air-time by the end of my first playthrough. The first game would have left me counting down the seconds.)

Last Light also fucked up many of the characters... Miller, Ulman, what happened? I personally enjoyed the inclusion of the Anna character, she was a necessary addition. Khan was alright, but he seemed kind of passive and empty compared to the performance he had in 2033 - even given his lack of inclusion in it, (you spend so little time with him, which was good in a sense because it left the player wanting more, and made Khan a much more mysterious character.)

Comparing the human AI from 2033 to Last Light, as well as the gun-play... not even going to get into it. Would take too long.

That isn't to say that Last Light wasn't a great game, because it was. I just had to forget about what I wanted to see in a sequel and just enjoy the game for what it was.

8. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

I only got to this franchise very recently, spotted Youtube trailer for Metro Last Light, which draw my attention. This was some month before its release so I had a time to get Metro 2033 for cheap to get hyped.

I played Metro 2033 twice through, normal and ranger easy. I liked it a lot--amazing atmosphere, constant fighting for survival, great but demanding graphics for over 2-year-old game.

Metro Last Light matched or outdone Metro 2033 in nearly all aspects for me. Atmosphere is still amazing, not much more can be done here. Graphics are better and engine is more optimized. Story is very good, few hiccups here and there but nothing major.
    There are 3 things I would love to see improved:
    (1.) Ranger mode implementation -- it feels rushed, it is illogical in many ways, works against immersion at times, conflicts with a controls scheme chosen for MLL.
    (2.) 2 weapon slots on Ranger difficulties -- way too restrictive, limiting weapon options and undermining modification possibilities.
    (3.) Game is a bit too easy due to very powerful stealth mode, rather unresponsive AI and overabundance of ammo

All in all, Metro Last Light is still great game for me. Downsides are minor things with limited impact on the game play. I hope those things will be addressed in future DLCs but the game is a masterpiece none the less.

9. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

I agree. 2033 was special and unique, but taking away the comments from the casual fps crowd who generally love Last Light because it was made easy for them. From a story point of view I didn't really connect with the characters apart from Pavel and Baby Dark One. Arytom's voice really makes me want to punch my screen. :mad:

Last Light is a good game don't get me wrong but I just can't help feel that it could have been better had the development team had better support.

If you're reading this Deep Silver throw some more cash to 4A and build the team as the Metro games as you know is well liked otherwise you wouldn't have bought it from THQ.

10. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I won't beat the dead horse by bringing up the thing about 4A's awful working conditions, and they apparently want nothing less than to be judged equally alongside their competitors.

Last Light pretty much fixes almost every issue 2033 had and then introduces its own issues. Stealth is vastly improved, shooting mechanics are way better, performance is better optimized, etc.

But it introduces its own issues. The characters (other than a great vocal performance for Pavel and the little Dark One) felt flat and like we were missing a good deal of interaction with them somewhere along the way. Human enemies are now a bit easy while mutants are a bit hard. Ranger Mode (which was the way to play the original Metro) is now a gimped gimmick. Achievements are severely bugged on Xbox. Sound design is improved, but we still have recycled clips everywhere. (the MGR firing clip sounds awful on high ROF weapons, and I can't imagine why they recycled it for the Saiga)

It's still a fantastic game; the atmosphere and environmental design merits universal praise, level design is incredibly varied as per usual, and I overall had a great time. But it definitely feels underworked in some areas, and it makes me wonder what could have been if they had more time and money.

11. Strider

Strider Well-Known Member

I agree with some of your points. Still I enjoyed it.. Like a lot. However, the last battle should've been MASSIVE, and Anna needed more.. screen time. Pavel on the other hand was wonder to watch. I love when you have sidekick who feels alive, instead of:
    http://youtu.be/tLECkV3hnYc

I believe Metro LL like 2033, will be overlooked, and quickly forgotten, and will reside on it's cult following. Still I love Mетро, and enjoyed everything about it.

12. " No Rokko...you can't."

Nothing created by men is perfect. As far as gaming, that's where player interpretations come in.

13. joenemesis

joenemesis Member

Metro rocks, there are worse games out there and Metro is far far away from bad. Like No Rokko stated, its player interpretation

14. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

1. Yes it was a bit short, but it wasn't abrupt and still satisfying imo
    2. You're totally right about Anna, that was poorly done. On the other hand, Pavel and the baby dark one were great.
    3. Agreed
    4. I encountered only a few bugs, but you're right.
    5. Disagree, music might not be as great as 2033, but there are some great pieces, also during fights.
    6. Agree, 2033's Ranger mode was perfect, Last Light's is broken.
    7. The humans are easier yes, but I also think that 2033 was unfair. At least now there is a 'grey' zone in stead of spotting you instantly. They only need to open their eyes, ears and learn to shoot.

+
    8. Shooting mechanic works much better than 2033's
    9. More time spent on the surface, also better.
    10. Better story
    11. Spiderbugs are a great addition.
    12. Last hours, with the dark one, are great, best out of the two games imo.
    13. Upgrade system

-
    14. Not able to buy filters and med packs anymore.
    15. Throwing knives to powerful.
    16. Boss battles
    17. Armor system less important.
    18. To much ammo and maximum ammo cap.
    18. Other streamlined/dumbed down things.

It's still a bit flawed, but less flawed than 2033.