Metro Last Light Dynamic Shadowing and Muzzle Flash

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Hameedo, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Hameedo

Hameedo Member

I played both Metro games , I noticed Last Light has lesser lighting quality than 2033 .

Specifically, Flashlights in (Last Light) cast very low amounts of shadows compared to 2033 , it seems the angle of shadow projection is not accurate and I think it is the cause of this problem, however the flashlights of NPCs cast shadows correctly. in addition to that some small objects don't have shadows at all (like cups).

Also muzzle flashes in (Last Light) don't cast any kind of shadows , unlike 2033 which had awesome muzzle flash shadow.

Is this a graphical downgrade ? or a bug in the engine ? can it be fixed with a patch ? or even a mod ?

2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Hah, you silly PC peasants. Us console kings don't have to deal with silly things like all these gosh-fangled fancy graphics settings, ours is the true superior experience! :pop2:

3. Heavygunner

Heavygunner Well-Known Member
    Regular

[​IMG]

^^

4. It's a safe assumption to make that every such difference exists because the devs had to butcher the graphics and gameplay quite a bit due to the fact that they need the game to run on 8 year old hardware aside from PCs. They have lamented that a lot before.

5. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Graphics yes gameplay no mon ami

6. Hameedo

Hameedo Member

We PC folks care for the game so much that we want it to uphold it's legacy of supreme graphics :D

7. Example:

There is no buttstock attack on the Shambler because they had to replace the "alt attack" with the ironsights because gamepads don't have a lot of buttons.

8. TotalAaron

Kommodo 1
    Jabba 0

9. Hameedo

Hameedo Member

back to the original topic please guys :D
    So it seems this is really a graphical downgrade ? is there any mod that fixed it ?

10. There are no mods for MLL strictly speaking.

There is some stuff like that, but those are the dll injectors, they don't change how lightning works in the game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#10 Komodo Saurian, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2013
  11. Hameedo

Hameedo Member

Can't we get a developer's input on the matter?

12. No, they are bound by the publisher. They can't tell anything about the SDK outside of what was approven by Deep Silver. Which is zero.

13. Potarto

I get the feeling you don't like consoles very much.

And I can see how that can be frustrating for a game like Metro, although I don't see why they couldn't have still implemented it, considering (I'm pretty sure) the games already share a good number of assets. Maybe even just making a bayonet attachment that disables Iron Sights in exchange for extra melee damage or something could have done at least something.

14. TotalAaron

Kommodos a eliteist ;)

15. The 4A have always been vocal about having to work with outdated console hardware, calling it a rusty anchor slowing down progress.

Bayonet and buttstock attack were replaced specifically because they had to conform to gamepad control scheme. Same reason why M2033 had a melee attack and didn't have ironsights on Shambler. Same reason why duplet can't be aimed since alt fire is firing both barrels at once. Same reason why they placed a knife and throwables in the quick slots and introduced radial menu.

When asked why the melee attack cannot be reintroduced, Alexandr "CyLLlKA" Pavlenko said the following:
    It's too much trouble to add even as a part of DLC since the entire game will have to go through QA all over again. And that's because patches on the fly are not allowed on consoles. They have to go through red tape.

16. Hameedo

Hameedo Member

Still is there any kind of official contact I can get in touch with ?

17. Potarto

But being an elitist means walking around thinking you're better. It's not elitist if you're just plain better!

I....have opinions on that matter, but don't feel like they carry much weight anyways, so eh. I'm not a game designer anyways, they'd know way more about that kinda stuff anyways.

Yeah, even most diehard console fanboys will admit the way patches are implemented is pretty shitty. Still, is the publisher really that adamant about
    having the versions be the same, or is it just not worth doing in their eyes if it's not for every console or doesn't fix a serious issue, or what? And I don't see why adding it with DLC would require QA when they're already likely doing that with the new content.

18. Saw your post on the 4A forum and gave it a translation. I'll repost any replies it will get here (Hopefully it will).

#19 Komodo Saurian, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2013
  19. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

Console companies are super picky. They want to look at everything for an extreme long amount of time. That's why PC is better. Devs have pretty much total freedom when it comes to content. They can release a patch when ever they feel like it.

If you play on console I feel bad for you...